• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethical Limitations at Garage Sales...

88 posts in this topic

Buy the book for 25 cents. If it's an Action 1...return to the sellers home after you sell the item & hand them a suitcase full of cash safely stash the book, and ask if they have any more comics for sale.

Everyone's happy :banana:

:roflmao:1C05BB68-16C3-4F3E-9964-C8AD2D0059BB-9832-0000061E6EE5AE76.jpg

I find the attitudes expressed by most of the people posting here to be pathetic.

It seems like everyone is so desperate to rip someone off and turn around and sell a comic for a "big" profit.

And you are all coming up with dodges, twisted logic, and irrelevant points to try to make yourselves feel better about it.

I find it particularly strange that Flying Donut first chimes in that this topic is a waste of time, then returns again to keep trying to hammer home how beneath him this thread is.

So why keep posting?

And the people quoting him with plus one and dreamy icons are sad.

No one is saying it's your job to educate people. No one is saying a crime is committed if you buy a book from some old lady for a buck that you know is worth $1000.

The original poster is talking about ethics--something it is quite obvious most of you know little about.

Needless to say--I will avoid spending my money with any seller who publicly favors ripping off people that might be less informed and then gloats about it.

And, on the off chance that some of you might be thinking of buying anything from my sales thread, keep your money. I would rather give my comics away for free.

As I have no interest in a back and forth on this matter with any of the people that will doubtlessly attack my post shortly, that is all I have to say.

P.S. Regarding the FF comic that had been stuffed in the 10 for a $1 bin, the truly ethical thing to do would be to buy it from the clerk who didn't give a mess and return it to the store owner subsequently.

stripes_lighten_up_francis.jpg

-slym

I'd just pay their asking price and take the books. They aren't asking for an appraisal, they're setting a price and you're agreeing to the price.

+1

I am sure they are certain limits, but the above is pretty much the motto.

Just depends on the situation though. Grandma selling off a collection they have had for 50 years is quite different then someone else just stacking a box of comics up and saying $1 each.

I once came across a guy at a flea market who had inherited like forty long boxes from a dead friend. He caught my attention with a Craigslist ad featuring Hulk 181. I bought the 181 and a bunch of other books of the key issue variety for a pretty good price. He had a price guide and we openly discussed the values but I offered him cash plus time in exchange for the books. I then spent the better part of sixteen hours in a fairly small area sorting books into 5/$1 and $1 boxes as well as pointing out modern and copper books of value.

While I was finishing up a guy comes through and flips through a long box full of SA and BA semi keys and non keys. Guy offered him $3/book to take them all and the seller sold.

Realized right there and then my efforts of sorting were wasted. He just sold a long box worth about $7,000 for about $700. Then again he had no expense in the books so I suppose he did alright?

I once came across a guy at a flea market who had inherited like forty long boxes from a dead friend. He caught my attention with a Craigslist ad featuring Hulk 181. I bought the 181 and a bunch of other books of the key issue variety for a pretty good price. He had a price guide and we openly discussed the values but I offered him cash plus time in exchange for the books. I then spent the better part of sixteen hours in a fairly small area sorting books into 5/$1 and $1 boxes as well as pointing out modern and copper books of value.

While I was finishing up a guy comes through and flips through a long box full of SA and BA semi keys and non keys. Guy offered him $3/book to take them all and the seller sold.

Realized right there and then my efforts of sorting were wasted. He just sold a long box worth about $7,000 for about $700. Then again he had no expense in the books so I suppose he did alright?

I think the first two books listed in this super old thread were from that flea market find. I say that because I remember ASW 10 and Hulk 181 both being a part of that purchase http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3898838&fpart=1

No limitations as long as someone helps me find a book on my want list at half GPA or less.

(shrug)

If not, the lot of you are thieves!

By the by, I never find anything good at garage sales... My wife just buys more "stuff" that we don't need. :frustrated: