• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgg apparent grade??

23 posts in this topic

"re-glossed" - it is an insane term with no meaning. Comic books were never Glossed in the first place (well, maybe some moderns but certainly not BA, Sa etc). So how can you RE-gloss something that was never glossed?

It SHOUDL say "Artifically glossed" - and that goes for anyone grader that uses the term "re-glossed".

Old news.

But you hardly see them because they ususally put them all in blue holders.

poke2.gif

WRONG !! Again you SHILLS belch out false info. Only books with very minor color touch or dit of glue(from the ones I've seen online) will get the blue label. Kinda like all the CGC mile high blue label books with minor CT. 893censored-thumb.gif

I love the way this is empirically quantified...'very minor' and 'bit of'. 27_laughing.gif

Why don't they try the rather more clear definition of 'none'?

How's business over there, anyway, nosh!t? The name change going down well?

"re-glossed" - it is an insane term with no meaning. Comic books were never Glossed in the first place (well, maybe some moderns but certainly not BA, Sa etc). So how can you RE-gloss something that was never glossed?

I never really thought about whether gloss was applied as a separate step or not; I assumed it was but hadn't considered it. The paper on a cover definitely appears glossy...was the paper just like that even before ink was applied?

I never really thought about whether gloss was applied as a separate step or not; I assumed it was but hadn't considered it. The paper on a cover definitely appears glossy...was the paper just like that even before ink was applied?

Yes. It is called "calendaring" (or it it "calendering?") where "hard" paper - that is a paper with a high clay (or other mineral) content is subject to successive amounts of pressure from rollers. Also, a "clay" coating can contribute to further gloss on the paper.

But these are done before the piece is printed, not after. The beauty if such pieces, besides the gloss, is that the dots makeing up the image are very tight and do not "spread" they way they do on, say, newsprint.

I always thought it was the Ink itself that was glossy.

Like paint.

Comes in flat or glossy.

Flat inks were used on inside pages and glossy inks for the covers.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I always thought it was the Ink itself that was glossy.

Like paint.

Comes in flat or glossy.

Flat inks were used on inside pages and glossy inks for the covers.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Just look at the amount of gloss o the inside cover or back cover where a lot of the paper is not printed. Still quite glossy. mmmmmmmm.......gloss. crazy.gif

I still think it's funny they changed their name to PGA.

i have nothing against the above mentioned company, but I do have to agree that choosing "PGA" as the new name seems bizzare. There must be legal issues here as well. I think "PGA" has been taken...