• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny books from 1957 and 1958...

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I picked up some Aussie edition books and news-zine types from 57 and 58 that are in really nice condition.

O6QOCSh.jpg

and

We7FFd5.jpg

The OSPG has some of these books listed but not all. I can find a few sold listings on eBay too. One thing I'm not 100% sure of is the demand for these sorts of books.

What are your thoughts?

Lscomics is the guy to ask - bought a pile of Newtons off me last year, he's very much into foreign books - I don't know about these, but he would be a great reference point to start.

Good luck (thumbs u

I don't think the "magazines" are Oz in origin - they're British (I'm talking about the mags pictured in the first photo).

As for the rest, the Disney's have some collectible merit - the paper stock used in Australia was actually better than the original Dell/Gold Key offering. The covers, however, used the same stock as the interiors, resulting in a non-glossy look that was more easily damaged.

As for the rest, they are really hard to find, but are not in high demand. A strange dichotomy whereby the books are rarely seen but not worth much.

Kind of ironic.

Anyway, my 12c

"The Panther" was an original strip done by Australian artist/writer Paul Wheelahan in the 60's.

Paul did a lot of other work too (and he's still with us).

His style was much better than many of his contemporaries - there were some truly terrible local artists in those days.

Here's an illustration he did for a Comic Convention here in 1981:

Panther.jpg

As Duffman said some of these are British, Swift, Robins were Eagle spin offs and unfortunately not in high demand.

Jack & Jill, Tiny Tots etc are even worse as the little kids that read these were really to young to get the nostalgia rush in later years.

Good luck bro :wishluck:

Thanks very much guys - really appreciate the feedback.

Yeah the Girl, Swift, Robin etc.. don't look like they'll garner much interest.

The floppies however are excellent. In fantastic condition, considering how they've been stored.

Have to do some research between the US prints and the AU prints... for example, that Casper #36 is from Jan '58 and has a Wendy appearance - and it's obvious from the dialogue it's not the first time she's seen Casper... but the OSPG has Wendy's first appearance in issue #38. :shrug:

It'll be a fun project to research this.

I've fallen in love with that Straight Arrow book... Red Hawk is bad ... and the OSPG has some really promising pricing on mid-grade's for some of these, I was surprised at the pricing on Little Dot.