• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identity Crisis-Crazy Prices?

58 posts in this topic

most of the IC talk is positive (except for those people so bent out of shape by the implied rape that they've given up on the title entirely.)

Nothing Implied about it!

That would be the case if this were teh manga version. Here, nothing specific was shown (if a grimace is specific to rape then I'll have to reevaluate the work of Rob Leifeld) and I don't believe the word rape is mentioned in any of the four issues. Just because it's obvious what happened, that doesn't mean it wasn't "indicated indirectly" that she was raped.

It wasn't until IC# 3 came out that my LCD finnaly sold out of IC#1. I bought a stack of them because I got tired of seeing them there collecting dust. Heck didn't IC turn out to be a flop anyways? One of these days when school is out I hope I can read some of these books so I can contribute a better opinion about them 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hey. I got a question. It shard enough finding an unmangled copy on the shelves on new comic day. So if you buy up multiples copies that have been sitting on shelves like that, dont the buyers care about the condition when you sell them? or are they just happy to get a copy?

I assume they pay you over cover price, so I also assume they might want a nicer copy for their money.....

(except for those people so bent out of shape by the implied rape that they've given up on the title entirely.)

read some of the letters in CBG this month foreheadslap.gifsome folks have given up on DC completely because of this and the tainting of their beloved superheroes...

It doesn't surprise me, I've seen enough evidence of this reaction online to know that it's out there. It boggles my mind screwy.gif

I can see their viewpoint definitely. Not saying that I agree with it.

Stopped in a store today to pickup Avengers 502 and saw that they had ID Crisis#1 up for $25,#2 for $10 and $3 for $5.

What are they going for where you shop?

They are doing a second print of #1 aren't they?

I haven't read any of the threads as I don't want to pickup any spoilers.Picked up 3 and 4 today elsewhere.

I find this pretty surprising since most of the LCS's here still has all copies available on the shelves. I think they are going to have to eventually discount them in order to get rid of all of them.

The only people making a real killing on this book must be DC since it is a pretty high price item. Also noticed that DC is charging something like a 56% exchange rate on the book for Canadians when the real exchange rate is down at only 30%. This must make the Canuck collectors real happy.

It wasn't until IC# 3 came out that my LCD finnaly sold out of IC#1. I bought a stack of them because I got tired of seeing them there collecting dust. Heck didn't IC turn out to be a flop anyways? One of these days when school is out I hope I can read some of these books so I can contribute a better opinion about them 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hey. I got a question. It shard enough finding an unmangled copy on the shelves on new comic day. So if you buy up multiples copies that have been sitting on shelves like that, dont the buyers care about the condition when you sell them? or are they just happy to get a copy?

I assume they pay you over cover price, so I also assume they might want a nicer copy for their money.....

I'm a little lost on this...are you asking if I'm selling bad copies or saying this book is so hot people want care about the shape its in as long as they get one? Either way I've never sold a book out of the 15 years of Comic/base ball card collecting. I still have not sold off any of my toy collection which spans almost 30 years. [!@#%^&^] I turned 30 today 893whatthe.gif

(except for those people so bent out of shape by the implied rape that they've given up on the title entirely.)

read some of the letters in CBG this month foreheadslap.gifsome folks have given up on DC completely because of this and the tainting of their beloved superheroes...

It doesn't surprise me, I've seen enough evidence of this reaction online to know that it's out there. It boggles my mind screwy.gif

I love when old-skool fans poop bricks over storylines they don't agree with, like it's the coming apocalypse...

Christo_pull_hair.gif

tonofbricks.gif

I'm a little lost on this...are you asking if I'm selling bad copies or saying this book is so hot people want care about the shape its in as long as they get one? Either way I've never sold a book out of the 15 years of Comic/base ball card collecting. I still have not sold off any of my toy collection which spans almost 30 years. [!@#%^&^] I turned 30 today 893whatthe.gif

Im lost now too. SOmehow when I read your post I thought it talked about buying a bunch and reselling them. But going back I see you said nothing like that! Burt my question WAS about whether the buyers who missed out and were buying them from you were still interested in the leftover, partially mangled copies that hang around on the racks getting pawed over and such.

but since youre not selling, it doesnt matter anymore.. crazy.gif

Im lost now too. SOmehow when I read your post I thought it talked about buying a bunch and reselling them. But going back I see you said nothing like that! Burt my question WAS about whether the buyers who missed out and were buying them from you were still interested in the leftover, partially mangled copies that hang around on the racks getting pawed over and such.

but since youre not selling, it doesnt matter anymore.. crazy.gif

Hell everythings for sale for the right price...lets say C-note a pice wink.gif

Anyways, I made time to read IC #1. I think its best if I say it was ok to avoid up setting the IC Gods. I know some may say I dislike DC but its not like that. I started collecting both DC and Marvel 15 years ago. My favorite modern comic is Superman/Batman thumbsup2.gif

I finnaly got through reading IC#2 and it is a good exsample of why I started buying Silver/Bronze Age comics again. This series being number one is a sign of hype and people just buying comics for the art work. I mean who would want to read a comic book where one of your hero's wive's is raped and then killed? There is no way I would let my son read this and I pray other parents feel the same way. Hell if I wanted to read this [!@#%^&^] I would subcribe to my local paper. I know comic companies no longer write for the kids but this [!@#%^&^] sooner or later will turn even a fews adults off from buying them. Anyways thats my .02 Cents which I'm sure wnat count much.

Well, I'm not giving it to kids to read, but I think Identity Crisis is a very well written and drawn series that has exceeded my expectations (and thus has more than lived up to the hype).

I guess the question is not whether or not "adult" situations be inserted into mainstream superhero comics (we've seen that they can), it's whether or not they should be inserted into stories featuring iconic characters that are of interest to children (at least not without some kind of warning).

You see, I like Identity Crisis, and Sue's death and learning about her past trauma didn't bother me that much... shocked maybe... disappointed, for sure.. but her situation gave rise to other ethical dilemmas that I'm interested in seeing the heroes grapple with, such as whether or not they have the right to take extra steps to protect their identities and their loved ones. But this IS a story featuring Superman, Batman, the Justice League, etc. and it is NOT labelled as a Mature Readers title.

I loathe JMS' adult situation continuity implants over in Amazing Spider-Man... with flashbacks showing that Gwen Stacy engaged in consensual activities with Peter Parker's arch-enemy in order to lead us to a present where the ramifications of said activities has led to the arrival of Gwen's children and Peter's own ethical responsibilities towards the offspring of the woman he loved.

PS this is not the first time that DC has allowed this to happen. Back in Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters published in 1987 - Dinah Lance (who was semi-retired as the superhero the Black Canary) was raped and tortured. However, GL:TLH was labelled as a MATURE READERS title... neither Identity Crisis or Amazing Spider-Man are.

I finnaly got through reading IC#2 and it is a good exsample of why I started buying Silver/Bronze Age comics again. This series being number one is a sign of hype and people just buying comics for the art work.

The art is pretty good, but I'm buying it for the story. The latest Uncanny X-Men, written by Bronze Age Writer GOD, Chris Claremont, now THAT'S a book I'm buying for the (Alan Davis) art.

I mean who would want to read a comic book where one of your hero's wive's is raped and then killed?

I don't "want" to read that sort of story. I'm not seeking it out, but if, in this case, a good writer is using that plot element as a springboard to do all of the things he's done in the series since, then I guess I'm all for it.

There is no way I would let my son read this and I pray other parents feel the same way.

Watch my pull list for another maybe dozen titles people should keep the kids away from.

Hell if I wanted to read this [!@#%^&^] I would subcribe to my local paper. I know comic companies no longer write for the kids but this [!@#%^&^] sooner or later will turn even a fews adults off from buying them.

I actually has. Some people are FREAKED OUT by this story. You're not alone.

PS this is not the first time that DC has allowed this to happen. Back in Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters published in 1987 - Dinah Lance (who was semi-retired as the superhero the Black Canary) was raped and tortured. However, GL:TLH was labelled as a MATURE READERS title... neither Identity Crisis or Amazing Spider-Man are.

I guess it really doesn't matter since most current comic readers are 30+ years old anyways. But I think it will be a sad day when we see "Mature Readers" title on our flag ship heros like: Spider-man, X-Men, Superman and Batman. The thing that I wonder is were will comics be in 20-30 years without targeting the younger viewers 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I actually has. Some people are FREAKED OUT by this story. You're not alone.

I'm just old fashion are some thing like that I guess. These are not the comics I grew up with as a kid. Heck that is if I ever grew up tongue.gif Theres really not much I can say since the general collectors are pleased with the series, except not buy the books. Oh I also just read IC # 3 and this whole Super Heros brain washing is hard to swallow. They are there to up hold the law and not the Judge, Jury and Executioner. Once they started this above the law mannor, someone should have put their butts on trail. Well I'm out of IC books, or atleast I don't think I bought IC#4 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I just started back into comics and bought over 300 currents and have only had time to read like 40 of them 893whatthe.gif

guess it really doesn't matter since most current comic readers are 30+ years old anyways. But I think it will be a sad day when we see "Mature Readers" title on our flag ship heros like: Spider-man, X-Men, Superman and Batman. The thing that I wonder is were will comics be in 20-30 years without targeting the younger viewers

I guess it depends on what you consider comics to be. Comics stopped targetting (with some exceptions) younger readers about a decade ago.

If you consider comics as a resiliant story-telling medium which can cater to any and all kinds of stories from all types of genres, and bridges the gap between print and film then you can see the possibilities that the medium possesses for future works... but if you only see it as a children's medium for innocent stories then yes, it's dead... or pretty close to it.

If you believe that the only way to get new readers is to hook them as kids, then DC and Marvel better shut down today and relaunch their lines. Forget about the current audience.

In their defense, DC and Marvel do try and develop content for that 6-15 year old audience - it's called "Marvel Age" (Marvel Age Spider-Man, Marvel Age FF, Marvel Age Hulk, Marvel Age Team-Up) and the DC Comics with the "Johnny DC" logo on them (Justice League Unlimited, The Batman Strikes, Scooby Doo, Teen Titans Go!, Powerpuff Girls, etc).

This industry is pretty fad driven. If kids suddenly started buying those kid-friendly books by the droves then you would see more of them and fewer adult-oriented comics.

Since that is not the case you get more books catering to the existing fan base of adult readers, with the hope of capturing the attention of more adult readers.

guess it really doesn't matter since most current comic readers are 30+ years old anyways. But I think it will be a sad day when we see "Mature Readers" title on our flag ship heros like: Spider-man, X-Men, Superman and Batman. The thing that I wonder is were will comics be in 20-30 years without targeting the younger viewers

I guess it depends on what you consider comics to be. Comics stopped targetting (with some exceptions) younger readers about a decade ago.

If you consider comics as a resiliant story-telling medium which can cater to any and all kinds of stories from all types of genres, and bridges the gap between print and film then you can see the possibilities that the medium possesses for future works... but if you only see it as a children's medium for innocent stories then yes, it's dead... or pretty close to it.

If you believe that the only way to get new readers is to hook them as kids, then DC and Marvel better shut down today and relaunch their lines. Forget about the current audience.

In their defense, DC and Marvel do try and develop content for that 6-15 year old audience - it's called "Marvel Age" (Marvel Age Spider-Man, Marvel Age FF, Marvel Age Hulk, Marvel Age Team-Up) and the DC Comics with the "Johnny DC" logo on them (Justice League Unlimited, The Batman Strikes, Scooby Doo, Teen Titans Go!, Powerpuff Girls, etc).

This industry is pretty fad driven. If kids suddenly started buying those kid-friendly books by the droves then you would see more of them and fewer adult-oriented comics.

Since that is not the case you get more books catering to the existing fan base of adult readers, with the hope of capturing the attention of more adult readers.

Great post, Kevin. I couldn't have said it any better.

My son is 14 now and I'm always amazed at the comics he likes and the ones he doesn't. He loves Spiderman, Marvel Age books, Teen Titans Go and the Ultimate line (Spidey, FF, X-Men). But surprisingly he is not into the regular FF, X-Men, Batman, Superman or Punisher.

The great thing about this time in comics is that there is so much choice. There's something for everyone, and if you're not sure of a book, ask the people at the LCS. Lord knows many of them love to talk about comics 893blahblah.gif