• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics at Frankfurt book fair

9 posts in this topic

I noticed in the latest mile hige e-mail that Chuck said he is going to the Frankfurt book fair. I live near Frankfurt but have never thought of the fair in relation to comics. Does anybody know what comic stuff will be there: will it all be newly published material or will there be any back issue sales?

I'm guessing that it'll be trade paperbacks and graphic novels. I went to the BEA one year and DC had a booth. They had those, and some peripherals (like calendars, address books, etc.). I don't know why Chuck would go.

Meanwhile, I have a project that's being presented at Frankfurt, so give it some "I'm close by so the vibes are more powerful" good wishes, willya?

-- Joanna

I'm guessing that it'll be trade paperbacks and graphic novels. I went to the BEA one year and DC had a booth. They had those, and some peripherals (like calendars, address books, etc.). I don't know why Chuck would go.

Do they sell Pottery there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifyay.gif

I was checking out the Nostaligia Zone in Minneapolis a few months ago and saw the owner, Chris Budel, putting long boxes in plastic bags and he mentioned when I asked that he was going to Germany to sell.

Figured it was to hit markets by military bases and the like.

No...the Frankfurt Book Fair isn't a place for buying or selling comics to the average fan. You may be able to get a couple of freebies from the various publishers though. It's not a buy/sell show in the traditional sense but more of an Expo for publishers to make distribution deals, showcase their wares, etc. Chuck goes to hype his website and provide "the US dealer" perspective to the mainly European audience.

I met Chuck there back before he had a website and he did in fact have a large quanity of back issues but couldn't overtly sell them because of show rules. He kept telling me to come back later and after doing so a number of times, I gave up and went home...

Jim

No...the Frankfurt Book Fair isn't a place for buying or selling comics to the average fan. You may be able to get a couple of freebies from the various publishers though. It's not a buy/sell show in the traditional sense but more of an Expo for publishers to make distribution deals, showcase their wares, etc. Chuck goes to hype his website and provide "the US dealer" perspective to the mainly European audience.

I met Chuck there back before he had a website and he did in fact have a large quanity of back issues but couldn't overtly sell them because of show rules. He kept telling me to come back later and after doing so a number of times, I gave up and went home...

I've been to the Book Fair a number of times and will be there again this year. Chuck has been a speaker and his comments are entertaining to listen to, although it's his opinion and not necessarily "fact".

As far as buying, it's not a free market. The first several days of the Fair are really just dealers exhibiting to dealers, purchasers, distributors, agents, authors, editors, licensing groups, etc. Either Saturday or Sunday they open it to the public and sales are permitted to take place. You might contact Chuck ahead of time if there's something you want to buy and maybe he'll bring it, but the last couple of shows he hasn't had any inventory to speak of (it's not like a comic books show). Diamond also was set up there promoting their services to potential comic book and/or book stores.

If anybody from the Boards is going to be there, PM me and maybe we can organize an informal dinner or drinks get-together.

Oh, should have noted that I will be there with my "real job" hat on (representing medical publishing interests), not my comic book selling hat on.

But if anybody's going to be there and they are looking for any specific books that I have, I'm happy to haul a few over!