• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 512 SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

105 posts in this topic

Just the thought that Gwen Stacy would consciously choose to have sex with Norman Osborn because she felt sorry for him and was enthralled by his magnetism makes me almost physically ill and is as close to a feeling of someone pi**ing all over my childhood as I have ever, *ever* been. I take back all the praise I've heaped on Straczynski in the past few years. The idea that someone could come up with this perversion of the character, the spirit of the original story, and the series' past as a whole is so disheartening, it makes me want to weep.

Arnold

I don't hold Gwen Stacy in any sort of "special" esteem as I'm not much of a Spider-Man fan and even I was offended by this story. Mostly because it's so stupidly conceived. I'm just not buying it, the whole "I'm going to lost my virginity to this creepy old lunatic cornrow wearing nutcase father of one of my friends" story is just ridiculous. Preposterous. Prediculous.

I won't even get into the whole accelerated aging thing...

I just read the issue. My comments are from someone that does not know much about Spidey other than a few back issues here and there, but I do have an understanding of the basics. I don't see the attraction Gwen would have for Norman, unless she and Peter made a decision not to have sex but she really wanted to and he was an outlet. Even if that is the case, it changes her character. In a moment of weakness, she sleeps with Norman? I do not know much about Gwen, but it has to totally change the perceptions about her. It just doesn't make any sense that she would do that. I have known girls that would do that, but they also were mentally unbalanced and I have not seen anything about Gwen that would suggest she were. Side note: before anybody thinks I am making a moral judgement, I am not. By all accounts, this was her first time. It does not make any sense for her first time to be with Norman, someone who was her fathers age. Maybe if it's revealed Norman had a love potion that persuaded Gwen because he wanted an heir, that would be better. If she were a free spirit, free loving girl, then it would make sense somewhat, but if Peter and Gwen had not slept together, it would not make sense for her to be with Peter if she wanted sex. I am also not suggesting that people who are "free spirits" are mentally unstable. What I am suggesting, Gwen would have to be mentally unstable to sleep with Norman if it were not in her character to be so "freely" giving unless a pattern developed afterword in which she were.

This is like the episode of Seinfeld in which Jerry is going out with the girl that Newman dumped. It's not so much that Newman and the girl dated, it was that Newman dumped her, meaning the girl LIKED Newman. It think this the same situation that Marvel has put Gwen in. She is a beloved character in the comic book universe, and now Marvel has stepped on the grave. Granted, this took place a while back, but Marvel decided that Peter and Gwen didn't have sex. Ok. Now, they look back and say Gwen and Norman had consensual sex because Norman was feeling bad. I don't think they fully understood the ramifications of how this changes the perceptions about Gwen. Of course, if this was her nature, then I take back my assessment.

If we are going to have Gwen's kids running around, I would rather they be Peter's, or even Harry's as that would make more sense. This would not change the perceptions about Gwen.

Just the thought that Gwen Stacy would consciously choose to have sex with Norman Osborn because she felt sorry for him and was enthralled by his magnetism makes me almost physically ill and is as close to a feeling of someone pi**ing all over my childhood as I have ever, *ever* been. I take back all the praise I've heaped on Straczynski in the past few years. The idea that someone could come up with this perversion of the character, the spirit of the original story, and the series' past as a whole is so disheartening, it makes me want to weep.

Arnold

Yeah. What he said. mad.gif

Arnold

893applaud-thumb.gif

Just read #512. Guess nothing is sacred. Now... years after the fact, we find out that Gwen wasn't pure as the driven snow. Nope, instead she appears to be just another whore who was playing Peter. She was attracted to Harry "The Green Goblen" Osborn's strong magnetism. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Guess the 40 something white guy with the fro look was irresistable to young virgin Gwen. yeahok.gif Way to go Marvel, great job! thumbsup2.gif Tune in next week when we find out MJ had sex with John Jamison and had a litter of Man-Wolf pups prior to reappearing in Amazing Spider-man around issue #240 something.

Just read #512. Guess nothing is sacred. Now... years after the fact, we find out that Gwen wasn't pure as the driven snow. Nope, instead she appears to be just another whore who was playing Peter. She was attracted to Harry "The Green Goblen" Osborn's strong magnetism. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Guess the 40 something white guy with the fro look was irresistable to young virgin Gwen. yeahok.gif Way to go Marvel, great job! thumbsup2.gif Tune in next week when we find out MJ had sex with John Jamison and had a litter of Man-Wolf pups prior to reappearing in Amazing Spider-man around issue #240 something.

=========

Well, I'll reserve my final judgement until after the storyline is concluded, BUT if things stay 'as they are,' then look for Staczynski's run to show up on ebay, asap. This feels like the same garbage that Marvel pulled with the Spidey clone [!@#%^&^] in the 90's that got me to drop my all-time fave character for the first time, out of pure discust. Marvel appears to be trying to repeat history. Wankfisters.

sign-rantpost.gif

Or Aunt May is really momma May

I just read it too..... sheeesh. what a disgustin development. It was worse than I expected. Totally unnecessary! I mean, what purpose does it serve? Are they so desperate for yet another reason for Peter to hate Norman?? Right now their relationship is such a worn out soap opera that all thats left is to finally discover the REAL reason Norman does this to porr littl ePeter and why Peter is so upset by him. Sexual tension!!! I can see it now. Sometime next year when sales cool off, we'll be seeing flashbacks to Norman and Peter having sex and Peter rejecting him, wanting to cure himself of his gay "disease" And Norman vows revenge, biiitch.. Then we'll find out that Peter and Harry were switched at birth in the hospital!

I guess we'll get over this plot (if it ever really becomes part of continuity.) I can see Strazinsky selling Marvel that he wanted to finally bring MJ and Peter closer together by eliminating his lingering love and guilt for Gwen by making hera stpit litttle twit and slut unworthy of his pangs of remorse. I guess that saw this a a step forward for Spidey!!

heres another thing that doesnt add up, or at best, makes a Gwen a dirty little whore. She said there was 'something underneath Normans exterior, something "powerful." Well, she wasnt able to sniff out the same thing about Peter Spidey, was she? So she only had radar for evil power not superhero goodness power. If she was a good girl, she would have succummed to Peters light, not Norman's darkness.

shoot - -- I just figured out shes not really dead! Cause if shes a villain now, she cant die!!!! Next stop, Gwen the supervillain! Lets have a contest to guess her name, costume and powers!!!

I don't like this development either but aren't the same people posting at this outrage the very same who a year ago said that Amazing Spidey was boring cause Straczynski was doing absolutely nothing with the title? I clearly remeber a post about how Amazing Spider-man was boring fans and that the spider totem story went absolutely nowhere. So basically, the writers are damn if they do and damned if they don't. I would hate to have us as fans. sumo.gif

fan: "Do something new with the storyline you wanker!"

Straczynski: "okay"

fan: "OMFG, he did something new with the storyline! What the hell was he thinking? The dumb jerk!"

I don't like this development either but aren't the same people posting at this outrage the very same who a year ago said that Amazing Spidey was boring cause Straczynski was doing absolutely nothing with the title? I clearly remeber a post about how Amazing Spider-man was boring fans and that the spider totem story went absolutely nowhere. So basically, the writers are damn if they do and damned if they don't. I would hate to have us as fans.

No disrespect meant, but this has got to be the weirdest logic jump I've read in a while.