• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another stellar deal from Metropolis?

24 posts in this topic

Assuming apparent grade is accurate (plausible based on FC scan)

6.0 MA = 30% x $19,500 = $5,850

6.0 EA = 20% x $19,500 = $3,900

Fair price should be around $3,500-$4,500 or 1.5-2.0 unrestored

This is one book (among a few other keys) where a restored high-grade copy could be very lucrative in the near future. With high grade copies out of reach of 99.99999999% of the population, a restored high-grade is the next best thing.

With the trimming, you could send it to get some color touch (maybe leaf casting for the chipping) to get to a 9.0 EP = 15-20% x $120,000 (up to interpretation - could be a lot higher) = $18,000-$24,000.

Net, even with an 8.0 EP there could be some significant profit here if done well.

Of course this market is undervalued at this point and I am speculating a bit. But with comics being one of the only antiques where restoration (done properly by professionals ONLY) is frowned upon so heavily.

Just my 2c

Those are some big spec numbers on an Extensive silver age book.

Assuming apparent grade is accurate (plausible based on FC scan)

6.0 MA = 30% x $19,500 = $5,850

6.0 EA = 20% x $19,500 = $3,900

Fair price should be around $3,500-$4,500 or 1.5-2.0 unrestored

This is one book (among a few other keys) where a restored high-grade copy could be very lucrative in the near future. With high grade copies out of reach of 99.99999999% of the population, a restored high-grade is the next best thing.

With the trimming, you could send it to get some color touch (maybe leaf casting for the chipping) to get to a 9.0 EP = 15-20% x $120,000 (up to interpretation - could be a lot higher) = $18,000-$24,000.

Net, even with an 8.0 EP there could be some significant profit here if done well.

Of course this market is undervalued at this point and I am speculating a bit. But with comics being one of the only antiques where restoration (done properly by professionals ONLY) is frowned upon so heavily.

Just my 2c

Those are some big spec numbers on an Extensive silver age book.

I agree, big numbers. The market it is still young and I think most would agree that this is the next big wave in these keys. Individuals will have to stand their ground as to what "defects/restoration" they will accept (no different than today with blue labels and FC vs BC, tape, etc). But my guess is that the people that are buying these that aren't hardcore collectors will not care whether or not a book has been trimmed or about the size of the pieces that were added.

Side note - I do know of a 9.0 EA version of this book (signature series) that sold for around the quoted prices. (shrug)

There is restoration and there is conservation...

Pieces added? Depends on how many and how big.

However, books residing in purple labels that say things like 'staples cleaned', 'tear seals'. 'cover cleaned' or 'cover reinforced' and were not subjected to trimming or heavy color touch are going to look VERY attractive one day.

I would agree with you on that thought...

That day is coming very soon.