• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions for Overstreet #35

127 posts in this topic

Its always been like that. They don't include adult comics or undergrounds.After 35 years,I doubt they'll change. Especially when there is money to be made putting out a seperate guide for "those kind' of books.

What separate guide?

Those things are not up to me, but my personal guess would be, 'don't hold your breath.'

smile.gif

Then I think the nude Elektra #3 edition should be removed from the listing before the Federal Commission notices it 893whatthe.gif

and a gold-plated edition with gilded pages, 3-dimensional expanding text that hovers in front of you so you don't have to look at the pages and an audio option with us reading every single listing to you as you read.

Where can I pre-order this? confused-smiley-013.gif

As we've only just gone to the larger format a couple years ago, it's unlikely we'll be making any further changes in size at any point in the near future. Besides, we still publish the BIG BIG spiral-bound version of the annual pricing every year as well, and that's pretty much exactly what you're talking about - big size pages, larger type, spiral-bound, easy to read.

Arnold

Here's my suggestion -- PUT THE MARKET REPORTS IN THE BIG BIG OPG, NOT JUST THE REGULAR SIZED OPG!893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry to yell but I have yet to see the 2004 OPG market reports thanks to the decision to publish the Big Big without them... 893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

WHAT HE SAID - 'NUFF SAID

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I still can't get anyone to go for my big promotional idea where we list everything in the Guide at $1 for just one year. It's our Big Industry-Wide Clearance Sale - Everything Must Go! But they just laugh at me. Oh well.

Arnold

That's because no one could take seriously a guide that suggested a value of $1 for most every Image [Or insert company you like to slam here] comic... now maybe if all those Image comics were all $.01 and most everything else were listed at $1....

insane.gifinsane.gif

As we've only just gone to the larger format a couple years ago, it's unlikely we'll be making any further changes in size at any point in the near future. Besides, we still publish the BIG BIG spiral-bound version of the annual pricing every year as well, and that's pretty much exactly what you're talking about - big size pages, larger type, spiral-bound, easy to read.

Arnold

Here's my suggestion -- PUT THE MARKET REPORTS IN THE BIG BIG OPG, NOT JUST THE REGULAR SIZED OPG!893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry to yell but I have yet to see the 2004 OPG market reports thanks to the decision to publish the Big Big without them... 893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

WHAT HE SAID - 'NUFF SAID

Christo_pull_hair.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

See, you'd better include them or we're gonna... we're gonna.... well, we'll do something about it as soon as we think of something.

Then you'll want to check out our upcoming BIG BIG LITTLE BOOK BOOK, a complete full-color photo-reference to all the BLBs and related books. Should be out in time for the holidays.

Arnold

Wowwow II cancan hardlyhardly waitwait.... 893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

I've read the OS guide #34 from front to back, and other than a couple of brief sentences, there really isn't much mention of UK editions of SA Marvel books. For instance, what's the price difference between the 1963 UK edition of T.O.S. #39 versus the American version. Since the UK version is not listed in the guide, some people think it's a reprint (which is not true, they were distributed at the same time). Will these UK editions be added to future guides?

It *is* in all the books multiple times, but here it is for convenience's sake:

Gemstone Publishing Inc.

1966 Greenspring Drive

Timonium, MD 21093

For best results, send them to the attention of Managing Editor Tom Gordon or Production Coordinator Mark Huesman. Or to me! smile.gif

Arnold

Overstreet has always almost exclusively covered books published by US companies for US distribution so it’s very much of an American publication rather than having any real international coverage. Even the Golden Age Canadian titles are not included. It’s not a strictly enforced rule of course as you will find about 5% of Marvel UK titles listed and some Canadian titles such as Cerbus as well. Of course the UK and Canadian price variants are still US comics but as Oversteet already omits over 100,000 US issues, which were distributed in their own country for space reasons, it seems reasonable that they would omit US comics that were distributed overseas.

As far as I know, no one has fully researched all the American issues and titles for which UK and Canadian price variants exist. I have been working on researching the list of DC issues for which UK price variants exist for the last few years for possible publication in pamphlet form as it always used to annoy be that even the UK guides did not list these - Gifford considering them to be American comics and outside the scope of his British Price Guides.

It always seemed a pity that American publications overlook them for being too British and British Publications omit them for being too American.

Regards Earl.

I agree that there isn't enough space to list these Canadian and UK versions in the OS guide. However, a one page spread discussing the market value of books distributed at the same time as the American versions would help. There's a lot of uncertainty in the market place among new buyers about the UK versus the American versions. Perhaps the American version is worth more, but it would be be helpful to know by how much.

It would be really interesting if towards the end of the year the OS representatives put out a poll for the board members to choose among different options. For instance, the poll would consist of up to 10 new additions, modifications, etc. to the OS guide. The top one or two vote getters (since the OS guide has limited space to make all 10 changes) would be inluded in the next guide. By the way, these don't have to be earth shattering changes.

Not that it isn't a nice idea, but we do this almost every year anyway. People are always suggesting changes, from big sweeping format alterations to minor corrections, and we're always receptive to those ideas and frequently incorporate them as the book evolves. For example, look how many years people wanted the book to get a bit bigger and incorporate more price columns, and we did that. It seems to work well without having to stage a specific poll event. But like I said, it *is* a nice idea, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Arnold