• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada from USA

28 posts in this topic

I am returning seven raw books purchased on ebay to seller in Canada.

He is picking up the shipping charges but asked me to use the cheapest method with tracking. I was planning to pack them securely in a box but if the box is small enough I may be able to find an envelope to put the box in (not sure if this will help).

Please help me to figure out the best shipping option (post office?) to ship seven raw comics (bagged and boarded, I think one is in a mylar) from Hackensack, NJ to Toronto, Canada with tracking.

Thanks in advance.

There's a few really good threads on here that probably should be stickied

Shipping First Class through USPS

and gee how about

Cheapest way to ship to Canada?

and lastly

Global Shipping Program for Canada?

but here's the short and skinny:

Cheapest: First Class International Package via USPS if 4lbs or less with tracking. Starting at $6.91 for 4oz or less up to $24.62 for max weight of 4lbs (online price). Check USPS website.

Fine print:

Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00

Other than rolls: Max. length 24", max length, height and depth (thickness) combined 36"

Rolls: Max. length 36". Max length and twice the diameter combined 42"

for 7 raw books: assuming normal comic in bags and boards average weight is approx 2.4oz, you're looking at a minimum of 1lb 1oz weight. Add another 7oz to 1lb for a box with padding, tape and label and you're looking at a 2lb package costing about $14.54 online.

Shipping a return paid for by the seller should really be done as safely as possible in a box especially if sending internationally. Envelope over box won't really reduce the cost as it'll be too rigid and thus automatically get classified under the First Class International Package pricing.

Also, when filling out the customs label, don't use the term Merchandise as the description of items as this will incur additional import/duty charges. It's perfectly fine to list them as "other: Used comic books".

Be sure to tape and seal all seams and openings with packing tape and padding. Basically follow Boozad's thread on packing books safely.

Tracking should be available throughout its journey via the USPS site even after leaving the US. If you have any issues verifying/tracking it follow the steps I outlined here to locate it.

Maybe sticky one of these to keep this from getting asked over and over

There's a few really good threads on here that probably should be stickied

Shipping First Class through USPS

and gee how about

Cheapest way to ship to Canada?

and another that I can't quite remember but will add when I find it.

but here's the short and skinny:

Cheapest: First Class International Package via USPS if 4lbs or less with tracking. Starting at $6.91 for 4oz or less up to $24.62 for max weight of 4lbs (online price). Check USPS website.

Fine print:

Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00

Other than rolls: Max. length 24", max length, height and depth (thickness) combined 36"

Rolls: Max. length 36". Max length and twice the diameter combined 42"

Shipping a return paid for by the seller should really be done as safely as possible in a box especially if sending internationally. Envelope over box won't really reduce the cost as it'll be too rigid and thus automatically get classified under the First Class International Package pricing.

Also, when filling out the customs label, don't use the term Merchandise as the description of items as this will incur additional import/duty charges. It's perfectly fine to list them as "other: Used comic books".

Be sure to tape and seal all seams and openings with packing tape and padding. Basically follow Boozad's thread on packing books safely.

Tracking should be available throughout its journey via the USPS site even after leaving the US. If you have any issues verifying/tracking it follow the steps I outlined here to locate it.

Maybe sticky one of these to keep this from getting asked over and over

Since when can you ship 4 pounds with first class? The USPS website, nor my local PO will let me ship anything over 13 ounces with first class.

I'm not sure how much I trust in this approach when it comes down to a Paypal dispute. Paypal will require any package returned by the buyer to also demonstrate proof it was received by the original shipper.

Even with UPS, signature confirmation is a crapshoot as it leaves it up to the driver whether or not to capture the signature or leave the package when a remote home is involved in the situation.

I read through all three threads and will post what I have gathered below. If what I write is incorrect or not stated as well as it could be I would welcome feedback:

1. While it may take longer USPS first class is the least expensive way to ship packages under four pounds.

2. For one to four pounds of comics packed securely it does not matter if you ship by box or envelope because the envelope would be rigid and would cost the same as shipping in a box.

3. If you pay for the USPS first class postage online you get the tracking for free.

4. Even if you print the postage online, you need to drop the package off at the post office instead of leaving it in your mailbox for the postman (not sure why this is important, perhaps for tracking purposes).

5. USPS stops tracking once the package gets to Canada. This is OK because the Canadian postal service will track it the rest of the way.

6. Without tracking on an ebay / Paypal return you leave yourself open to a dishonest recipient winning a case against you.

Thanks again.

3. If you pay for the USPS first class postage online you get the tracking for free.

The USPS dropped First Class Mail delivery confirmation back in 2009 when they were making changes to Priority and Express Mail to be the only way to receiving any form of tracking. They will, however, give you a customs number that can help with a form of confirmation and tracking that the package made it into the country.

I'll call the USPS today and confirm if anything has changed, as I want to know this myself if things have reverted back. The 2009 change was why I stopped regularly selling to Canada collectors when it comes to low-dollar books.

I'm not sure how much I trust in this approach when it comes down to a Paypal dispute. Paypal will require any package returned by the buyer to also demonstrate proof it was received by the original shipper.

Even with UPS, signature confirmation is a crapshoot as it leaves it up to the driver whether or not to capture the signature or leave the package when a remote home is involved in the situation.

Depends on the purchase price. PayPal only requires tracking for up to $250 and then a signature for over $250. (thumbs u

Depends on the purchase price. PayPal only requires tracking for up to $250 and then a signature for over $250. (thumbs u

But you just confirmed the concern.

Ebay/Payapl disputes will require you provide a delivery confirmation number to validate seller receipt. I had a $50 [transaction] two months ago where books were shipped to me in an envelope with no protection. They required I post a tracking # so they could confirm receipt.

Ebay/Payapl disputes will require you provide a delivery confirmation number to validate seller receipt. I had a $50 [transaction] two months ago where books were shipped to me in an envelope with no protection. They required I post a tracking # so they could confirm receipt.

:facepalm:

You're right Nick. You're always right. I guess when you live in your own world the rules are yours to control.

Follow Nick's advice. He has no problem spending money except his own. (thumbs u

I have had zero problems with returns using similar methods coming from Canada if that is of any concern.

:facepalm:

You're right Nick. You're always right. I guess when you live in your own world the rules are yours to control.

Follow Nick's advice. He has no problem spending money except his own. (thumbs u

I have had zero problems with returns using similar methods coming from Canada if that is of any concern.

Wow! You really have issues - in your own head.

All I did was point out the Ebay/Paypal process, and what their expectations will be from personal experience, and you make this into a personal attack?!

Talk about being a jerk for all the wrong reasons. Tell me how what you just posted is helping the OP understand what their next steps should be. I'd love to hear that one.

It is helpful in directing them away from the "advice" you offered which is incorrect and misleading.

It's not a personal attack. It is simply trying to correct the information you're providing.

OP - your best bet to cover all bases while keeping costs down would be Priority Envelope. 7 raw issues would fit and allow for some cardboard to reinforce. If the price was over $250 then you require a signature. You may have to use Global Express or International Express. I forget the term since I use almost exclusively Priority.

FedEx and UPS should not be used.

It would help if someone else who has had recent experience chimed in to help us with this one.

Assuming that Bosco's information is both correct and current (USPS first class no longer includes tracking to Canada), what is the cheapest method that does include tracking?

Thanks again.

It is helpful in directing them away from the "advice" you offered which is incorrect and misleading.

It's not a personal attack. It is simply trying to correct the information you're providing.

OP - your best bet to cover all bases while keeping costs down would be Priority Envelope. 7 raw issues would fit and allow for some cardboard to reinforce. If the price was over $250 then you require a signature. You may have to use Global Express or International Express. I forget the term since I use almost exclusively Priority.

Cost was just under $200 so no signature is required but the seller specifically requested tracking. I am hoping to keep the weight just under 2 pounds but it could go slightly higher. If tracking is significantly more expensive I would like to give him a quote with or without tracking and let him decide.

I would suggest not sending a return without tracking since that leaves you accountable but that's your call. A Priority envelope is $15? I haven't checked since the last price increase.

What advice did I provide to the OP that was so incorrect, you had a tizzy?

And you did make it a personal attack with your "you are always right" kiddie dance.

What you just recommended of sending it Priority - with delivery confirmation - is still stating delivery confirmation must be included.

So what did I say different from you?