• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is my Avengers 4 trimmed?

16 posts in this topic

I've been around the hobby a while but when it comes to resto & trim detection I'm a total newbie.

I've had this since the 80s and it just occurred to me recently it might be trimmed.

Looking at the front cover it appears as though it might have been hacked at the top of the outer edge, but not the bottom, if that makes sense? Although the transition from trimmed part to not trimmed is undetectable to my eye.

Appreciate your opinions! Thanks

Avengers4001_zps900b88c5.jpg

It's nearly impossible to tell for sure if it's trimmed or now from blurry pics but if I had to guess, I'd say it's not trimmed.

The Marvel chipping goes across all the wraps. If it was trimmed, those chips would have disappeared.

The trapezoidal (angled) cut is very common on Marvel Silver Age books from the mid 1960's as well, so this is not a "tell" either that the book is trimmed.

Finally, measuring a book is not accurate as books will vary in size during the production run

I have very little experience in this, but I've made things with my hands. I cannot fathom taking age into account after the addition of a possible trimming, but the feelings I get from the pictures you're providing... I don't see anything that would worry me as a casual collector. I think it is legit... again, as far as my baby eyes go.

I had never seen this trapezoidal miscut on a Marvel SA book before (except this one I have owned for 25 years, duh).

Thought I might use one of my free submissions to have it slabbed & was concerned it would get PLOD.

Thanks to all who posted above. I appreciate it

I had never seen this trapezoidal miscut on a Marvel SA book before (except this one I have owned for 25 years, duh).

Very common on Daredevil #7 and some other issues from that same '64/65 era.