• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Overstreet Top 346 Silver Age Comics (all are listed)

44 posts in this topic

Earlier this month, it was suggested that the OSPG should list the Top 100 books of the Silver Age, as the Top 20 are fairly predictable. Well, I thumbed through the newest edition and made a list of everything that listed in raw 9.2 at $1K and up. The results will follow a few books at a time so as to give everyone a chance to voice their approval or wonder why Avengers 55 still hasn't shown up.

Copied from an earlier thread ...

1. Amazing Fantasy 15

2. Fantastic Four 1

2. Incredible Hulk 1

4. Showcase 4 (Flash)

5. Amazing Spiderman 1

6. Journey into Mystery 83

7. X-Men 1

8. Tales of Suspense 39

9. Showcase 22 (Green Lantern)

10. Avengers 1

11. Brave and the Bold 28

12. Tales to Astonish 27

13. Flash 105

14. Showcase 8

15. Fantastic Four 5

15. Justice League of America 1

17. Adventure Comic 247 (Legion)

18. Green Lantern 1

19. Showcase 9 (Lois Lane)

20. Fantastic Four 2

20. Fantastic Four 4

... and now, the next 20 ...

22 Amazing Spider-Man 2

22 Our Army At War 83

24 Fantastic Four 12

25 Fantastic Four 3

26 Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 1

27 Showcase 14

28 Amazing Spider-Man 3

29 Daredevil 1

30 Action 252

30 Hulk 2

30 Sgt. Fury 1

30 Showcase 13

34 Showcase 6

35 Our Army At War 81

36 Action 242

36 Showcase 1

38 Amazing Spider-Man 4

39 Richie Rich 1

40 Strange Tales 110

40 Tales To Astonish 35

Discuss.

I know you are going strictly by 9.2 numbers in OSPG.

But I think #22 OAAW 83 should be much higher (definite top 20), for two reasons:

1. OSPG is just wrong about that 9.2 figure. It is miles away from the probable accuracy on that.

2. The incredible scarcity of OAAW 83 in high grade.

Just my 2c

I know you are going strictly by 9.2 numbers in OSPG.

But I think #22 OAAW 83 should be much higher (definite top 20), for two reasons:

1. OSPG is just wrong about that 9.2 figure. It is miles away from the probable accuracy on that.

2. The incredible scarcity of OAAW 83 in high grade.

Just my 2c

Yeah move showcase 9 down and bump St110 and OAAW 83 up.

Adventure Comics #247 is one of the great enigmas of the Silver Age.

At one time the Legion of Superheroes had a more vocal fan base then the X-Men, but for some reason the Legion has become stalled. I would say move it down, but then we would probably hear how the Legion would be appearing in a Superman movie, and then it would sky rocket in value! Like I said Adventure Comics #247 is a enigma. hm

Many of the 'hot' books don't get adjusted until the next year because the cutoff for data is so early (to get it to the printers). Stranger Tales 110 will probably get such a bump next time, but I don't know how high.

I don't follow the war books as closely, but we'll see if OAAW can appreciate faster than some of the 2nd/3rd/4th appearances around it.

Adventure 247 has definitely fallen from the heights it once occupied in the list.

How about Richie Rich rubbing elbows with all of the hero-types?

I wonder how much this list will shift as boomers stop buying and start selling books in their retirement. Funny animal, Four Color, and Harvey books seem to resonate most with that group. The pool of buyers is much smaller among those <50.

I'm not sure those are good long term bets. Unless someone finds a way to revive Richie Rich, et al.

I wonder how much this list will shift as boomers stop buying and start selling books in their retirement. Funny animal, Four Color, and Harvey books seem to resonate most with that group. The pool of buyers is much smaller among those <50.

I'm not sure those are good long term bets. Unless someone finds a way to revive Richie Rich, et al.

I grew up w a Richie Rich cartoon on Sat mornings and watched it on a regular basis, but it was Spiderman and His Amazing friends and Valley of the Dinosaurs that captured my heart.

The only bucket of books you mentioned I might spend $ is FC Ducks.

If the JLA ever get a movie as popular as the Avengers, B&B 28 may get its due.

I wonder if Spider-Man #2 was his second appearance how it would fare against JIM 83 & TOS 39. Since it has a #1 on the cover, it does better than most second appearances.

Is Richie Rich the Archie of the 'silver' generation? Archie is the non-hero that seems to have gained momentum over the last few years as collectors realize how difficult it is to find his early books. Is Archie any more relevant with todays kids than Richie Rich? Will RR pick up later as collectors fill in the hero runs and look for something else to buy?

I wonder if Spider-Man #2 was his second appearance how it would fare against JIM 83 & TOS 39. Since it has a #1 on the cover, it does better than most second appearances.

Is Richie Rich the Archie of the 'silver' generation? Archie is the non-hero that seems to have gained momentum over the last few years as collectors realize how difficult it is to find his early books. Is Archie any more relevant with todays kids than Richie Rich? Will RR pick up later as collectors fill in the hero runs and look for something else to buy?

Not sure I would make the jump from "filled-hero collections" to Richie Rich because I need something else to spend my money on...

I don't understand Richie Rich, is it a rare book? Frankly he is a B-list character with little market awareness since the move came out in 94' (which we all know was an international blockbuster).

It's much much tougher to find than the marvel keys.

Ok, I will buy that it is rarer than books I classify as: "have money, can buy."

Still not sure the character has large value long term based on current market impression. This is similar to many other arguments and earlier posts that many books are going to fall out of fashion quickly when the last of the boomers move into fixed income (four color, westerns, etc).

Personally, I put him in the category of "Mighty Mouse" - most people 30+ know who he is, most kids <30 don't and only a very few people get excited when you mention his name. Even though he is coming to save the day...

FYI - I used MM because he is a personal favorite!

I am not a fan of either, but I believe the argument in GA section was that Archie is still found everywhere. And I think they are right, I see them in grocery stores etc. Some dealers said they sell to all ages to this day. Archie may have a chance to survive another 25 years, but I wouldnt count my chickens for Richie Rich.

The Richie Rich one baffles me.

- Action 252 s/ b higher

- Showcase 9 is in the right spot in my view - She belongs on top!

- BB28 belongs above Avengers 1

- I wonder if spidey 1 belongs belong JIM83 and TOS39

What are you questioning about ASM1?

-just because its Spidey's second appearance doesn't preclude it from being the most collected Silver Age title or most popular character of the Silver Age. So there's always going to be high demand for this title, and while its more common than JIM 83 and TOS39, I will always place it higher in value than the others.

The Richie Rich one baffles me.

- Action 252 s/ b higher

- Showcase 9 is in the right spot in my view - She belongs on top!

- BB28 belongs above Avengers 1

- I wonder if spidey 1 belongs belong JIM83 and TOS39

What are you questioning about ASM1?

-just because its Spidey's second appearance doesn't preclude it from being the most collected Silver Age title or most popular character of the Silver Age. So there's always going to be high demand for this title, and while its more common than JIM 83 and TOS39, I will always place it higher in value than the others.

I agree, ASM 1 is a book I rather have...it's Spiderman. He's just a far more popular hero. Even if its the 2nd apperance its a very important book.

FIXED THAT:

1. Amazing Fantasy 15

2. Showcase 4 (Flash)

3. Fantastic Four 1

4. Incredible Hulk 1

;)

I am not a big fan of SC4 either. Only a 1st silver age appearance and of a second rate character too boot.

Same with BB28, first appearance of a super hero team just does not float my boat, a fortiori for Adventure 247 whith a relatively unknown group.

FIXED THAT:

1. Amazing Fantasy 15

2. Showcase 4 (Flash)

3. Fantastic Four 1

4. Incredible Hulk 1

;)

I am not a big fan of SC4 either. Only a 1st silver age appearance and of a second rate character too boot.

Same with BB28, first appearance of a super hero team just does not float my boat, a fortiori for Adventure 247 whith a relatively unknown group.

Obviously with the green lit flash movie it will get a bump and probably retain its gains going forward but I don't think it will steadily appreciate like some of the other more blue chip silver keys. Unless of course the movie is a runaway success.