• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Wizard World too Big? Part I

7 posts in this topic

Or did I just sign my own death certificate?

I went to Philadelphia Wizard World in June 2013 or do they prefer to be called Wizard World Philadelphia? Although recently they have opted for a symbol with the letter "W", it still precedes the hosting city. Is it ego that each of their conventions have the show's company name before the city that's hosting them, a city that has been around long before the convention itself? I'm not quite sure.

I went this year in Philadelphia as I did in the many years that past. It's my home city, how could I not? But if someone competed in the city of brotherly love, would the newest contender win out? Could a David beat a Goliath?

I started to attend Wizard World conventions in 2007. In the years that followed (08' 09' and 10') I paid to enter this event. They started with badges, something to keep akin to a souvenir, eventually they switched to wrist bands, a change I have only heard complaints about, one I'm also in agreement with. I do attend the whole weekend and I even purchased a Stan Lee VIP pass one year although I already had my press credentials. How could I not meet the Man?

The main reason I went to these overcrowded displays of four color books was originally to buy comic books to fill the holes in my collection. The local comic book stores could not compete with the selection and prices. I made my way from booth to booth especially CGC's for the on site grading. Going to the panels was an afterthought, or an excuse to give ones own legs a rest, which was difficult this year since the talks were in a whole other portion of the building, a block away.

My beginning Wizard World experience had Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Image proudly displayed, but over time they disappeared. Rumors began that the convention was over, that Wizard's time would follow the magazine that spawned them. The people at Wizard squelched that idea by releasing dates showing they would indeed be back the following year.

Bruce Campbell became a draw that created a different atmosphere and a different kind of convention. His line was snaked from one side of the convention to the other. It was the first death throws of Wizard World Comic Con and the first birthing pains of Wizard World: Pop Culture Event.

In '12 I wrote for Comicbooked.com as I did the previous year. In 2013 I tried to use the CGC registry and my own floundering blog as my only credentials. It didn't work. I hooked up with Circuit42.com, which is more of a Facebook Fan page (with potential) then a comic book website, but it was enough to earn me a press pass for 2013. I do have plans to attend in 2014 but I'll probably ask to join my friend at his booth ForZombies, especially since I won't go for the full four days, it's just too expensive.

I skipped writing about it for the longest time since I thought having a press pass in hand meant I had to praise this event. With Wizard World Chicago recently ending I realized , I can't.

I am loyal and originally this was the only event I would attend, but then I tried going to the New York Comic Con, a convention that not only honors the city it is being hosted in but, it is an actual Comic Book convention not a Pop Culture event. Marvel combated DC for floor space. Image displayed their most prominent titles. Cosplayers were an over abundant 3D graphical copy of any and everyone's favorite comic book entities.

The first year I went to the NYCC was cut short by my promise to attend a wedding, a wedding I said yes to before I found out it was the same weekend as the convention. My two day weekend became a one day extravaganza. An event that opened my eyes to what a Comic Book Convention is, unlike going to meet the Wizard.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14182.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Reading your journal really did make me think about the differences between each of the Con's I've been to and what I attend them for.

My first Con, Wizard World Austin or as you stated Austin Wizard World was a bit of a sensory overload. I didn't know what to expect, didn't have anything of real importance of my own to bring and had my daughter with me which I thought would make a cool Daddy/Daughter day experience. Because Wizard World Austin is held almost immediately following Halloween I asked my daughter if she wanted to dress up as I had seen Cos-Players do it from articles and other websites documenting this sort of behavior and excitedly she did. She went as a character from one of her Anime cartoons called Bleach.

Anyways we get down there and immediately while walking in I'm asked by adults if they can take pictures with my daughter. Thinking at first as a father watching what I perceived as a pedophile target my kid I was a little hesitant but after talking to another father on site realized this was more of a compliment to my daughter rather than some sick fantasy.

So we finally get inside and the way Wizard World Austin in 2010 was setup I wouldn't have even known it was for comics. The very first tables as we entered were solely for actors and actresses, WWE stars, and voice personalities. I kind of had to rub my eyes at this point as to me this wasn't what I thought we were getting into. I mean as a kid Wizard Magazine was always this book I had picked up to see if my X-Force #1 had gone up a quarter in prices and to check out the next upcoming story from Marvel or the goings on of Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane. Not for WWE wrestlers and the guy who played the Janitor of Mcgyver or whatever... But we looked at each other shrugged it on and off we went.

We stayed to the different toy isles and while I thought a few comic sellers were cool didn't pick a single thing up. It wasn't until about 2 hours in to being there that I had seen my first comic artist in what was the beginning of Artist Alley. I guess in a way it bothered me seeing these guys shoved to the back in what looked to be an actual alley. I mean the big draw for me in seeing the word Wizard was that I was going to see something comic related as with their magazine I had grown up with in the 90's. But here they were in the back and honestly without such a huge draw as was seen in the front of the building.

I was able to get my first sketch cover here from Mark Texiera from the Wolverine and Ghost Rider series and my daughter was able to get the sword that actually belonged to her character. I guess it was seeing the way artists not being praised in the front of this huge building was what made me think about what the comic culture had felt like as a kid to me. It was being that kid who read comics quietly in his room but talked so little of the storylines or how the art was mesmerizing. If anything this gave me that feeling that the cool kids were up front and the nerds or geeks were pushed to the back.

It wasn't until my second Con when I finally got my act together and came on to this forum that I learned the idea of simply saying screw it and to jump all in. My second was Dallas Fan Days and it was here that I got the big picture that being a geek about comics was something cool and that I didn't truly care if someone thought down on me or not. This is a place where I could be accepted without having to hide my comics in the closet. It was here that comics were at the main stage and the actors looked longingly for any hope of acceptance. Lines like George Perez, Neal Adams, Len Wein, were wrapped around red velvet ropes while the little skinny girl from Firefly sat doing her nails waiting for someone to show up and tell her she was pretty.

This is also were I got my first glimpse of the madness that accompanies Stan Lee's appearance. Holy *spoon*. I don't think I've seen a larger scene of chaos like I had seen when I heard over the intercom that Stan Lee’s forum line would begin in 30 minutes. It was like someone had yelled "Release the Kraken" and everyone went running away from the stars who were now sitting around empty lined.

I go to Austin Wizard World because as you said, it’s convenient. It’s close to where I live, and doesn't take a ton of effort. But I go to Dallas Fan Days because I truly enjoy the feeling of comics being place in the forefront and everything else placed as an afterthought. Having said this I am looking forward to a new event next year which I haven't seen a single star sign up for yet but have already seen some amazing artist talent placed on the list. The Capital City Comic Con in Austin. More information can be seen on the events area:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6952928#Post6952928

But seeing them post close to 250 artists being there and not a single actors name so far makes me believe that this is a true Comic Con and not as I have seen named Pop Con which is what Wizard seems to have become.

Sorry my reply was a little long. Just seemed like the right place to vent the same frustrations you shared with Philly.

K

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the pop culture oriented shift in the Wizard shows. I'm really looking forward to the Baltimore Comic Con since it is ALL comic book personalities.

I can see why going to the Wizard World shows could be less appealing to the die hard comic collectors out there, of which I am definitely a part of. I, however, DO like the older school TV and movie personalities being at the shows to at least a small degree.

Being a collector of items like old Starlogs makes it possible to get CGC certified signatures from some of these personalities. Especially the Star Trek and other SF TV guys! I am still GaGa over my ST:TNG mags and Starlogs I had signed at Megacon!

With that said, Wizard has gone a little too over the top with the sheer number of actors, actresses and voice-over people. Often with more than the number of Comic people. So the shift is obvious and unfortunate in that it takes away from some of the availability for more comic personalities.

I have never been to a Wizard World show although I've always wanted to see what they're like. From what's been described here it sounds like they are trying to copy the success of SDCC with the shift in focus from comics to TV/movies. Makes sense if they're looking to make more money since this form of programming does draw a larger audience. Can't fault them for that I guess, but it's a shame that comics are given a back seat as a result rather than the seat of honor they deserve.

Fortunately there are still some shows that make comics a priority. I would love to attend some of those you're described. I've really enjoyed the Cons local to me...the Amazing AZ Con, and the Phoenix Comic Con. Both are comics focused with just enough pop culture thrown in to add to the experience without overshadowing the comics themselves. My favorite show outside of SDCC has become WonderCon Anaheim. I've been the past two years and always have a GREAT time. We are actually considering attending Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, WA next year. The feedback from that show always seems to be positive...any comments from those that have attended is appreciated.

sig.jpg

I don't think I've been to a Wizard promoted show in over seven years. There was a time when I would hit every comic convention that was within driving distance from me but once they took over Chicago Comic Con I stopped going. I'm a little sad I never got the chance to check out Mid-Ohio Con before they took that one over and am very happy that Reed started C2E2 in Chicago.

Unlike you guys, I didn't buy Wizard Magazine. I had seen it when it came out and quickly decided I had no use for a "price guide" that was pushing books, based solely on their opinion, into the limelight as the newest hot commodity that every collector should have. My opinion of Wizard as a company, their magazine and their business practices in general was cemented later on when they started offering mail away exclusives the price of which was almost instantly inflated upon release that they also happened to sell at conventions and through their stores at the time. I'll never understand the fond memories that so many collectors have of Wizard when the fact is that they blatantly did everything they could to separate their readers from every last penny they could.

With C2E2, Motor City Con and the upcoming Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis this coming March I can get more than my fix of comic related events without giving Wizard so much as a single cent of my money.

My only complaint is that everybody have increased their prices for the signatures, products and all other things. Everything seemed overpriced. I didn't get any excitement except my wife finally met her icon.

Last year, I bought all passes for $75 to attend Wizard World Chicago. This year, WW Chicago increased all passes for $90. I never bought VIP passes that is not my intention. I was kinda surprised to see the prices were increased than last year and two years ago. VIP for Stan Lee was only $200 but this year, VIP for Stan Lee was $325 or $200 for meeting and greeting Stan Lee. His price had became the chain reaction while all celebrities increased the prices. Also, William Shatner started it all last year.

Recently, I gave $100 to Neal Adams' wife and was expecting the changes. Neal Adams pointed at his signature price sign. Astonishing $20 per signature!! Last year, his price was only $10 per signature for CGC and $5 for non-CGC signature. It's hard to fathom why all prices had gone up!! The greedy spread out!

I didn't have a problem with C2E2 in last few years but Wizard World seemingly have overrun the prices in last few years. Obviously, the celebrities demanded too much money. Again, William Shatner started it.

C2E2 like Baltimore Comic Con is focusing on the comics, comic-related toys, games and comic arts excluded the celebrities. I already started to attach C2E2 little more and their prices are also reasonable. Never complained.

I won't be surprised WW will increase the prices on all tickets next year.

That was the last time with Stan Lee at Wizard World Chicago. Too much money. Wizard World already drove me out and my money.

I'll never understand the fond memories that so many collectors have of Wizard when the fact is that they blatantly did everything they could to separate their readers from every last penny they could.

I guess my only come back for this....I was 11 :P

As for cost, I figure with the amount people are inflating on ebay or where ever for a SS copy of something artists are basicly trying to get what they believe they have a right to. Adams was a good one for me. Usually I get a sketch from him and on his site he has a way for me to get something and then pay for it over time. So I can get something amazing without forking a ton of money at once. Then once at Con's I can pick-up my 11x17 or sketch cover and he signs what I place out for my CGC related items without added cost.

Either way I am looking forward to next years Capital City Comic Con in Austin. They are placing a large emphasis on the artists and comic related writers / editors and leaving the rest behind.