• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscure Marvel Titles...

135 posts in this topic

The Human Fly

I loved that book when I was a kid. Something about the fact that it was based on a real guy made me think it was far, far cooler than it actually was!

I just started collecting a HG raw run of that...is it a decent read?

I collected these off the rack. Loved them. Love that Frank Robbins quirky art.

don't know if that sentence has ever been written previously

It's so bad, it's great.

In the 70s I avoided Frank Robbins like the plague. Even as a kid I recognized short-shrift hackiness.

That nutty hack kills titles!

One of my fav runs (Phantom Stranger in the BA) got put out like a cheap cigar

thanks to this clown...

:P

In the 70s I avoided Frank Robbins like the plague. Even as a kid I recognized short-shrift hackiness.

I hated his art as a kid. In his defense, he was probably getting very old and trying to draw in a Marvel style that was different to what he was used to. His Golden age art wasn't as bad as his 70's art.

DG

I remember a lot of these from the liquor store and the bargain bins as a kid. I had owned and still do own a handful of them. I liked the cartoon ones when I was young, I was far more likely to buy the comic than watch the cartoon, even though the comics weren't that great. It helped me draw the cartoon characters :)

Boy does he bring back memories....bad memories as he was probably the comic artist I hated most as a kid.

Boy does he bring back memories....bad memories as he was probably the comic artist I hated most as a kid.

He was meant to be a Caniff acolyte, but all I remember was him ruining Captain America after Sal Buscema left the title.

He was meant to be a Caniff acolyte, but all I remember was him ruining Captain America after Sal Buscema left the title.

On the Human Fly comic mentioned earlier, he alternated with another Caniff-influenced artist, Lee Elias.

On the Human Fly comic mentioned earlier, he alternated with another Caniff-influenced artist, Lee Elias.

The one cover by Frank Robbins I like...

140584.jpg.739124b9dd3fc97860af453f71bb78ca.jpg

+1 on any harshness towards Frank Robbins for his 70's work. I avoid Invaders like the plague, I just can't stomach it.

At least I was able to read the Invaders. His Captain America work was so bad I couldn't even read the comics. I lost all connection to Captain America's continuity while he was drawing it. Afterwards they'd have a little flashback note and I'd think "when the heck did that happen?" I'd start digging through back issues and go "Oh, Frank Robbins drew that... no wonder I didn't know it happened."

DG