• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your red labels!

66 posts in this topic

Don't have any left, cracked 'em all, had them pressed then re-subbed, and got upgrades across the board! :acclaim:

:insane:

Old blue labels are getting harder to find, I wonder if the reds are shrinking at the same percentage rate or lower. Since the moderns that were in red labels were "valueless" :ohnoez: , I wonder if they get cracked at the same rate.

I win the thread.

scan0244.jpg

I'm fairly certain valiantman just won it.

Its up in the air.

1 of 25 known, or 1 of 1 known copies.

This one is NOT mine, but it deserves to be included in this topic:

50787-WOLVCGC10.0.jpg

Holy smokes! Some people have a problem with ow/w pages on a 10.0. I don't, unless its below that. Their page color has become so arbitrary over the years.

How about a red label PROTOTYPE?!?!?

CGC98Superman78_cgcsample.jpg

:grin:

Very nice! :)

So whats the story/history with this sample copy?

:popcorn:

I bought it on Ebay about a year ago.

I've been compiling the CGC census for about 10 years, and when I started compiling, there were about 20 copies of "Adventures of Superman #500" in CGC 0.5 on the census.

I asked Steve Borock about those ridiculously low grades on one of the most common books ever made...

he said they were actually just a test, not actually CGC 0.5 on Adv. of Superman #500.

If you look up the serial number of the "prototype" red slab, you'll still see the reference to Adv. of Superman #500 (no grade listed), even though the book is a CGC 9.8 Superman #78.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=0010955001

I assume these were used to demonstrate the final CGC product, how a book looks encapsulated, how it's sealed, etc.

I don't know if all 20 still exist (or if there even were 20), but this is the only one I've ever seen and I was happy to bid for it on Ebay.

(thumbs u

I've been compiling the CGC census for about 10 years, and when I started compiling, there were about 20 copies of "Adventures of Superman #500" in CGC 0.5 on the census.

I asked Steve Borock about those ridiculously low grades on one of the most common books ever made...

he said they were actually just a test, not actually CGC 0.5 on Adv. of Superman #500.

If you look up the serial number of the "prototype" red slab, you'll still see the reference to Adv. of Superman #500 (no grade listed), even though the book is a CGC 9.8 Superman #78.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=0010955001

I assume these were used to demonstrate the final CGC product in the 1999-2000 timeframe, how a book looks encapsulated, how it's sealed, etc.

I don't know if all 20 still exist (or if there even were 20), but this is the only one I've ever seen and I was happy to bid for it on Ebay.

I like to think of it as a "census souvenir".

(thumbs u

I assume these were used to demonstrate the final CGC product in the 1999-2000 timeframe, how a book looks encapsulated, how it's sealed, etc.

(thumbs u

Awesome. You learn something new every day.

(thumbs u

Awesome. You learn something new every day.

Pretty sure this was Darrell F's book at one time.