• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your red labels!

66 posts in this topic

I bought it on Ebay about a year ago.

I've been compiling the CGC census for about 10 years, and when I started compiling, there were about 20 copies of "Adventures of Superman #500" in CGC 0.5 on the census.

I asked Steve Borock about those ridiculously low grades on one of the most common books ever made...

he said they were actually just a test, not actually CGC 0.5 on Adv. of Superman #500.

If you look up the serial number of the "prototype" red slab, you'll still see the reference to Adv. of Superman #500 (no grade listed), even though the book is a CGC 9.8 Superman #78.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=0010955001

I assume these were used to demonstrate the final CGC product, how a book looks encapsulated, how it's sealed, etc.

I don't know if all 20 still exist (or if there even were 20), but this is the only one I've ever seen and I was happy to bid for it on Ebay.

(thumbs u

Chuck Rozanski has an article he did as part of his "Tales of the Database" series where he talks about the early days of CGC. He mentions how CGC had to make changes to their case approach to appease dealer concerns with books being locked away forever. Otherwise, they were not going to back CGC grading.

I wonder if a few of these were broken open to try out how collectors could remove any books encased by CGC.

Pretty sure this was Darrell F's book at one time.

There was one for sale on the forum recently too. Well in the last year or so.

You're both right... I checked my emails (instead of my notes), and I did buy the book here on the boards, from Darrell F, in June 2012.

(thumbs u

I only have one Red label. I like how they used to write interior defects right on the label.

large.jpg

I've never seen ANY other CGC label, other than GLOD and PLOD labels, list the interior defects, including the handful of red labels I have.

I wonder if yours is a test label or misprint?

I only have one Red label. I like how they used to write interior defects right on the label.

large.jpg

I've never seen ANY other CGC label, other than GLOD and PLOD labels, list the interior defects, including the handful of red labels I have.

I wonder if yours is a test label or misprint?

It's not a test label or a misprint. CGC used to list "hidden" defects on the labels of some books.

large.jpg

Now you have to pay $5 for that type of information. :eek:

Add another $10 if you want it back by next year lol

They're in storage back in Philly, but half of my "Death in the Family" set is red.

Batman 427, 9.8 &

Batman 429, 9.8

I've toyed with trying to finish it in Red for symmetry, but I think the next step will be 9.8 yellow (Starlin).

They're in storage back in Philly, but half of my "Death in the Family" set is red.

Batman 427, 9.8 &

Batman 429, 9.8

I've toyed with trying to finish it in Red for symmetry, but I think the next step will be 9.8 yellow (Starlin).

That would be quite a quest (trying to finish the set in red labels.) Good luck with that. I wonder how many 9.8 red labels of these exist?