• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your red labels!

66 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of my red labels, have a bunch more but only a few scanned and these are probably the only Copper items, the rest are Bronze or Modern I believe

IMG_3091_zps78cf760e.jpg

IMG_3095_zps4322a69c.jpg

Nice books!

:applause:

Hypothetically, if you KNEW the ASM 252 were a 9.8 by today's standards, would you resub the book, or keep it in the red label holder? I suppose it's just a matter of whether or not you'd want to sell it.

Here's a couple of my red labels, have a bunch more but only a few scanned and these are probably the only Copper items, the rest are Bronze or Modern I believe

IMG_3091_zps78cf760e.jpg

IMG_3095_zps4322a69c.jpg

Nice books!

Hypothetically, if you KNEW the ASM 252 were a 9.8 by today's standards, would you resub the book, or keep it in the red label holder? I suppose it's just a matter of whether or not you'd want to sell it.

At one point, I had 17-20 red label books. I resubmitted all of them over time, and only one came back the same grade.

Books like UXM 266 going from a 9.4 OW/W to a 9.8 W was a nice experience.

IMG_3091_zps78cf760e.jpg

IMG_3095_zps4322a69c.jpg

Nice books!

If I knew it was a 9.8 by today's standards I'd resub for sure, neither of these has a permanent place in my heart. They are keys that I'm happy to own, but if I could get the price bump that would come with that upgrade I'd be happy to sell them and pick up something closer to my collection goals. Of course the hard part is knowing that, and/or putting out the funds on the gamble. I have a few other keepers in red labels that I may press and resubmit at some point and if so, I'd likely send these along as well.

My only two red labels. Admittedly, they might be considered BA, but I've always viewed 'Tec 476 more as a CA book. It just feels too modern to be BA, which specifically for Batman I feel ended when DC stopped publishing the 100 pagers (at least that's the cut-off I tell myself when I buy books).

144238.jpg.7c354b448c1fa0d403ce8395711466fc.jpg

144239.jpg.01eb21b05cd8a2f3be0e212a8269a300.jpg

NGC (coins) slabs have gone through multiple generations.

The earliest slabs (along with some of the rarest) command a premium.

There will eventually be a time when "Modern" slabs, since they are long defunct, will command a premium, too.

Red labels? sorry new to the hobby so i know nada about red labels.

CGC originally had "red labels" for modern books (1975-present).

They were only used a couple of years, before all unrestored/universal books got a blue label.

(others are restored-purple, qualified-green, or signature-yellow).

When you see a red label, it is the equivalent of a blue label and you also know it was from early in CGC's history.

The first CGC newsletter (May 2002) already shows a blue label on a modern book, so red labels must have been discontinued prior to the first half of 2002.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/enews/cgc_enews_may2002.htm

Depending upon the comic, some books were more harshly graded in the early days of CGC... such as Amazing Spider-man #300 (which often has a rough right edge).

As a result, a red label ASM #300 MIGHT be a blue label 9.8 if it was ever re-submitted.

On the other hand, red label books are always going to be a limited number... blue label will increase...

and anyone who re-submits a red label book will get a blue label... meaning fewer red labels.

Eventually... red labels could have "something extra" simply because of their history... as has been mentioned.

NGC (coins) slabs have gone through multiple generations.

The earliest slabs (along with some of the rarest) command a premium.

There will eventually be a time when "Modern" slabs, since they are long defunct, will command a premium, too.

Does a 9.8 old label new equal a modern 9.9+? hm

Many have gone down this path, and at least experienced the "old label bump" for the most part. But there may be others that experienced the same grade when resubmitting.

Especially when getting into the higher grades, it may be tough to get a bump like that.

Does a 9.8 old label new equal a modern 9.9+? hm

Many have gone down this path, and at least experienced the "old label bump" for the most part. But there may be others that experienced the same grade when resubmitting.

Especially when getting into the higher grades, it may be tough to get a bump like that.

The biggest reason people look for the red labels is, back then, there weren't as many people pressing books, so the collector's consider the red label books to be good candidates to be "up-gradable".

They definitely were during a time when people were feeling this out, and not realizing the price bumps CGC would bring.

I was going to ask when CGC cut off using Red Label cases. Greg talks to it.

When you see a red label, it is the equivalent of a blue label and you also know it was from early in CGC's history.

The first CGC newsletter (May 2002) already shows a blue label on a modern book, so red labels must have been discontinued prior to the first half of 2002.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/enews/cgc_enews_may2002.htm

So it was an extremely short period of time?

I was going to ask when CGC cut off using Red Label cases.

So it was an extremely short period of time?

Looking in my own collection, I have a red label modern from July 6, 2001, and a blue label modern from September 24, 2001.

Looks like a shorter timeframe for red labels than I thought... late-1999 to fall 2001, perhaps.