• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

I figure if Bob Kane considered Val Kilmer the best Batman (circa 1995), I'm pretty sure he would approve of Ben in the role too.

-Team Affleck

Aflac!!!

As if Bob Kane could spot a good Batman.

lol

:ohnoez:

I can't get other the fact that he is getting death threats for his casting, Seriously? You might not agree with it but is that any reason to wish the guy dead and make that wish known public. These people are seriously giving good honest geeks a bad name.

:o

I hadn't heard (or read) of that yet. Holy!

Over a comic book movie you threaten someone's life?

doh!

People get death threats all the time on the internet - the world is full of loons and most of them have Twitter accounts.

I figure if Bob Kane considered Val Kilmer the best Batman (circa 1995), I'm pretty sure he would approve of Ben in the role too.

-Team Affleck

Aflac!!!

Val Kilmer wasn't that bad, it's just a pity the film wasn't all it could have been, although Forever is a guilty pleasure of mine. I really liked Jim Carrey in the role of riddler.

Ben Affleck could be great choice... Acting is acting and you just don't know until the film is released. If he is good enough then it will show. I can think of a lot of castings that before hand seemed horrible but actually now seem like the greatest choice ever.

I still enjoy Batman Forever. I was pretty young when it came out though and can still remember going to see it in the theatre. It brings back a lot of memories. That theatre is now a Staples. I think about it every time I go in.

They had better intro his character on-screen in full Bat garb. If we have to start with Ben's puss for 10+ minutes of screen time, it could get ugly quick!

:eek:

You are obviously not female...and quite a few of you are forgetting that half the audience is female. He's a really good looking guy, lol.

I think the online stuff is a publicity move, no one could really be that upset...it's a comic book movie, not a political campaign and they just signed an award winning actor/director, who will not only look the part, but he's a comic book fan.

doh!

They had better intro his character on-screen in full Bat garb. If we have to start with Ben's puss for 10+ minutes of screen time, it could get ugly quick!

Whaddaya talking about? He's a good looking dude!

It has nothing to do with his relative handsomeness. It was riffing off of the prior poster who mentioned that he can't see a character through Ben the actor. And I agreed with that sentiment, and took a bit further by intimating that he was annoying to see on screen generally, and that if the movie had 10 minutes of just "Ben" screentime before Batman showed up, I would enjoy it less, as may others.

I can't get other the fact that he is getting death threats for his casting, Seriously? You might not agree with it but is that any reason to wish the guy dead and make that wish known public. These people are seriously giving good honest geeks a bad name.

:o

I hadn't heard (or read) of that yet. Holy!

Over a comic book movie you threaten someone's life?

doh!

That`s crazy! :screwy:

You are obviously not female...and quite a few of you are forgetting that half the audience is female. He's a really good looking guy, lol.

I think the online stuff is a publicity move, no one could really be that upset...it's a comic book movie, not a political campaign and they just signed an award winning actor/director, who will not only look the part, but he's a comic book fan.

doh!

I just wanted to point out that he is not an "Academy Award" winning actor/director. He only won Oscars for co-writing an Original Screenplay (Good Will Hunting) and producing (Best picture winner Argo). He has won all kinds of other awards though. What I'm getting at is now that he has a 10+ picture deal with a franchise, will Hollywood permanently shut him out of future Best Actor? Best Director nominations? I really though he was extremely talented behind the camera and wanted to see that career grow. Sure, it'll be easy getting side projects green-lighted now, but will he ever be taken seriously again?

USA Today spoke with Morgan Freeman, who played Lucius Fox in Chris Nolan's "Dark Knight Trilogy," and he was quite surprised by the announcement for a reason you may not expect.

"This is the first I am hearing of it," said Freeman. "My first reactions are 'Wow' and 'Good luck.' After the trilogy, I thought that no one would try it again for a few years more to let this whole thing die down, because it's still there. So I don't know, I hope Ben does well."

Freeman likely won't reprise his role should Fox return in the upcoming film.

"If the new movie does have a Lucius Fox I don't think it's going to be me," said Freeman. "It doesn't seem to work to mix characters in the movies. If you are going to change the lead character, you're probably going to change all the characters."

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I'm conflicted on Ben Affleck as Batman.

On one hand, had we never heard of him and he didn't have a huge history in the movie world, I think he'd be decent. The problem is, I don't think I'll be able to watch the movie and not think about him being Ben Affleck. I don't want to focus on the actor, who he is and what he's already done. I want to just believe the character. I have doubts that I can do that with Affleck.

For the record I didn't really care for Bale as Batman, or really as his and the Nolan universes depiction of Bruce Wayne. I'm not sure what would make me happy.

1) Why do we need a team-up film?

2) Will there be twice as many villains?

3 At this point, why not go for the trifecta and add Wonder Woman to the bill.

4) Will they get over the death of Ledger and cast a new Joker? My choice is the kid that plays Felix on Orphan Black.

5) Anybody else wanna see the old blue and grey suit?

5) Anybody else wanna see the old blue and grey suit?

Hell yes!

Black and grey, though. That's the weakest part of live-action Batman imho.

Fan-films manage to do the batsuit much better, like they understand the need for some visual contrast. Hollywood just loves that uni-color bat burka wetsuit look.

I cringed when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker so I'll hold my judgement until I've seen it. Although I won't be able to watch it without thinking about Kenny having his school photo taken with his coat upside down and back to front.

GAV!!!