• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

I'm gonna start getting involved with the PIF thread even more. I'm just not sure how it works completely. One could take an expensive $170 statue and offer up some DVDs they got at a yard sale for tree fiddy? Is that correct?

I could make a living off this thread. I'm quitting my job tomorrow.

I am now The Wolf of PIF Street !

*** I have cut and paste my above post from the actual PIF thread where I was informed those types of thoughts are not allowed. And you all know how I like to obey the rules.****

It's mind boggling to me that members will perpetually take generous offers and follow them up with drek.

If I didn't have anything impressive to follow up a particularly impressive offer, I would skip the offer until one came that was on par with mine.

Someone posted a couple pages back that people no longer need to claim a PIF just to move the thread along as now if an offer isn't claimed in four day the offer they claimed is put back up.

Yes Mike that is correct. When people see inadequacy they should stick to what is right and not claim it so that the original offer goes back up. Do not bail people out because it negatively reinforces their behavior.

However, the example I gave a couple of pages back is still a good way to play the system. All you have to do is offer something kind of hot even if it is a fraction of the offer you claimed. Someone will still grab it, because they care about themselves more than the principle.

Also, to anyone who perpetrates this heinous and abhorrent act on these harmonious boards, please don't use the "awe shucks I just put up what I can afford" routine. Contrary to popular belief claiming a PIF offer is not mandatory, the Kim Jong Un haircut, unfortunately, is.

Unfortunately, there will always be some that will take advantage of the system. For a thread that should foster goodwill and friendship, it certainly has its problems. More common sense and decency are needed. And restraint. Do unto others...

As you can tell by last night though, there is more generosity than greed in there. When greed rears it's ugly head it is rather obvious to everyone. Well....to most I should say.

With the new rule implemented, I've still seen people take something rad and offer up something... um... not rad. And then on the 4th day somebody comes in and claims it to 'keep the thread moving'.

If people truly feel like an offer is lame or trying to profit on the thread, just don't take it, and let the previous offer go back up. Timmy is never gonna learn to stay away from the damn well if Lassie keeps rescuing him.

I have yet to see this happen either. I totally agree.

Here is the actual offer.

I'm sure I can come up with a "suitable" offer.

As always, in addition to whichever offer is accepted, I will donate a new toy to a Children's Hospital. I've decided to spread the donations around the US and will be using this children's hospital list to send to a new children's hospital each time I have something claimed here in the PiF thread. Of course due diligence will also be done to make sure the hospital still exists as no list I found was perfect.

If you have a preference to a specific hospital or would just like to see the donation go to a local hospital - just say the word and that'll be where it goes.

Offer 1 -

Five Captain America Heroclix boosters (still sealed and in time for the movie):

rNL2OyH.jpg

I will also include a map so you can play after you open them. On a random aside, if you have young ones this game is great for helping them with every day math (addition and subtraction, as well as basic geometry). I ran Heroclix events for a number of years and had a very young group of players. I can't count the number of times I had a conversation with their parents about how good the game was for the kid(s) and their math scores.

Option 2 -

Mega, Ultimate Animated Comic DVD Bundle:

HjY176E.jpg

Young Justice Season One Volume One

Doctor Strange - The Sorcerer Supreme

Superman Batman - Public Enemies

Batman - Gotham Knight

Batman - Under Red Hood

Superman - Doomsday

Green Lantern - First Flight

Justice League - Crisis on Two Earths

Justice League - The New Frontier

Wonder Woman (she doesn't need a story title)

Edit: This offer is worldwide (shipping on me)!

and I'll post the same thing here I did in the PIF thread.

You guys sure now how to kill the fun of a thread, don't you?

It says not to discuss value. You can bring up the worth of my statue, but as I said, I got it for free. So the worth to me is how much it's gonna cost me to ship it out.

When I offered it, in no way did I expect the person to claim it to offer something of comparable 'value'. I see nothing wrong with wiggles offer.

I see so many of you person_without_enough_empathying about crappy offers, but from my limited experience here, the berating is what kills this thread, not the occasional flipper.

I understand what you are saying Ajulliay, but trust me some people are using PIF as a way to upgrade their collection and use the system. You can tell who they are without much effort and if you check their posts you will see that out of the last 100+ posts they were almost all PIF related.

I am not going to say anymore about this today because I feel disgusted at people that get over on stuff... :frustrated:

I see both sides of the thing. People are going to do that kind of stuff, but I don't know if they should be called out like that.

I take some awesome stuff from PIF, but always try to do something of equal awesomeness.

It is pretty obvious when people only jump on things that are worth money though and not just fun reads.

As you can tell by last night though, there is more generosity than greed in there. When greed rears it's ugly head it is rather obvious to everyone. Well....to most I should say.

I have to admit, you guys were apparently right, and I was wrong. I guess I am just naive, because even though we've had one or two situations in the past, I really didn't think people were gaming the system like this. Even though I did vote in favor of the rule changes, I did not think they were necessary. But... I was mistaken.

In case you missed it, by the way, oceanavekid posted in the journal section yesterday advertising his new ebay sales. So that's some excellent timing on his part.

:facepalm:

:(

I have to admit, you guys were apparently right, and I was wrong. I guess I am just naive, because even though we've had one or two situations in the past, I really didn't think people were gaming the system like this. Even though I did vote in favor of the rule changes, I did not think they were necessary. But... I was mistaken.

In case you missed it, by the way, oceanavekid posted in the journal section yesterday advertising his new ebay sales. So that's some excellent timing on his part.

:facepalm:

:(

MjAxMy1iZjhiNWRhMzc4MTI0NDkz_zps7d05ad92.png