• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, we would trade comics on each others' doorsteps. We would each bring a box of comics that we were willing to trade, and we'd look through each others boxes to see what we might want. We'd haggle, but deals were made.

I know you guys like the one-at-a-time approach because it adds expectation and excitement, but I'm not convinced this will work with a trade forum. I think you need to find some way of getting everyone's virtual boxes of comics all in the same place at the same time. As deals are struck, it will attract other people with their boxes.

In short, I think we need a matrix approach rather than a linear one; one where everyone's trade offers and wants are known at the same time to facilitate exchanges. A forum dedicated to trading would be ideal. Barring that, some form of spreadsheet or the method that Fingh mentioned would also work.

I like it, but I think you're right; we'd basically need a subforum dedicated to it. I have no idea how the site structure is handled around here. (shrug)

The sub-forum would have to approved by Arch, and I'm not sure he'd go for it.

A spreadsheet approach could be done in a single thread. Here's one way of doing it:

Basically, new offers would be through individual posts. A summary list would have to be maintained, probably similar to the HOS/PL list with links to the original offer and pics. I would imagine trades would best be facilitated through PM to keep the haggling private. Completed trades would be announced in a subsequent post, and the summary list updated with the removed books.

I'm not giving up on the current thread, since it's just starting and all. But in theory could we do something with a setup like the Virtual Comic Con? Where everyone maintains like a semi-permanent "booth" post with all their stuff for trade?

Like the man in the stall said to the guy waiting, give me time.

We live in a time of instant gratification, and I think many of you just want to be involved right away. Give each offer 24 hours and then post yours if nothing happens. Have patience. 2c

When I was a kid, we would trade comics on each others' doorsteps. We would each bring a box of comics that we were willing to trade, and we'd look through each others boxes to see what we might want. We'd haggle, but deals were made.

I know you guys like the one-at-a-time approach because it adds expectation and excitement, but I'm not convinced this will work with a trade forum. I think you need to find some way of getting everyone's virtual boxes of comics all in the same place at the same time. As deals are struck, it will attract other people with their boxes.

In short, I think we need a matrix approach rather than a linear one; one where everyone's trade offers and wants are known at the same time to facilitate exchanges. A forum dedicated to trading would be ideal. Barring that, some form of spreadsheet or the method that Fingh mentioned would also work.

I like it, but I think you're right; we'd basically need a subforum dedicated to it. I have no idea how the site structure is handled around here. (shrug)

A spreadsheet approach could be done in a single thread. Here's one way of doing it:

Basically, new offers would be through individual posts. A summary list would have to be maintained, probably similar to the HOS/PL list with links to the original offer and pics. I would imagine trades would best be facilitated through PM to keep the haggling private. Completed trades would be announced in a subsequent post, and the summary list updated with the removed books.

I'm not giving up on the current thread, since it's just starting and all. But in theory could we do something with a setup like the Virtual Comic Con? Where everyone maintains like a semi-permanent "booth" post with all their stuff for trade?

The VCC and the SS thread work because they are events. With specific times and a 2nd thread dedicated to discussions, so the sales/trade thread stays clean and organized.

Keeping our current model allows banter and discussion in the actually thread which is a good thing for an ongoing thread. I like the current format and think we should give it more time. 2c

I think that would work well too. The only hurdle, if I remember correctly, is that someone would have to be granted limited Mod powers for administration.

Regarding the recent discussion on what's wrong with the trading thread idea.

The goal of the new thread was to take what people liked about the PIF thread and try to eliminate what people don't like about it, and create an alternative. One of the most common complaints that comes up about the PIF thread is when someone takes a particularly nice offer and turns around with what is viewed as a sub-par offer. By putting the power of the transaction into the hands of the Trader who makes the offer, we've eliminated this "junk donkey" aspect that tends to be the topic of so much contention.

The idea wasn't to make a new type of marketplace. I don't think a new type of marketplace based entirely around trading would be all that active anyway. I recall a topic in the past where people asked about and discussed if they trade or only buy and sell, I think most people said they just sell what they don't want to buy what they want.

Some of the more exciting aspects of the PIF thread are checking in and seeing what's new, being disappointed by seeing what you might have missed, and being put on the spot to see if something you've offered will be taken.

I never expected each and every new trade to result in a completed transaction, a significant number of PIF offers probably wouldn't have become completed transactions if someone didn't come along and claim something to keep the thread moving.

Good PIF offers didn't stick around for more than a day (usually more than an hour). That was the idea of the 24 hour turn around on the offers in the trade thread. Keeping the items up on the block new and fresh, and giving people the opportunity to put up offers fairly regularly, without the complexity of maintaining a system such as a database, spreadsheet, or whole forum dedicated to something that would probably end up being underused in a large scale.

When I suggested this idea most recently and started working on concept, I solicited feedback along the way and a few people stepped up to help flesh it out. I think what we came up with is a nice alternative to the PIF thread. There could probably be tweaks along the way to improve it but I think for it's intended purpose it's a little early to be considering it a failure. That said if someone has a better idea, by all means take the initiative and run with it.

Regarding the recent discussion on what's wrong with the trading thread idea.

The goal of the new thread was to take what people liked about the PIF thread and try to eliminate what people don't like about it, and create an alternative. One of the most common complaints that comes up about the PIF thread is when someone takes a particularly nice offer and turns around with what is viewed as a sub-par offer. By putting the power of the transaction into the hands of the Trader who makes the offer, we've eliminated this "junk donkey" aspect that tends to be the topic of so much contention.

The idea wasn't to make a new type of marketplace. I don't think a new type of marketplace based entirely around trading would be all that active anyway. I recall a topic in the past where people asked about and discussed if they trade or only buy and sell, I think most people said they just sell what they don't want to buy what they want.

Some of the more exciting aspects of the PIF thread are checking in and seeing what's new, being disappointed by seeing what you might have missed, and being put on the spot to see if something you've offered will be taken.

I never expected each and every new trade to result in a completed transaction, a significant number of PIF offers probably wouldn't have become completed transactions if someone didn't come along and claim something to keep the thread moving.

Good PIF offers didn't stick around for more than a day (usually more than an hour). That was the idea of the 24 hour turn around on the offers in the trade thread. Keeping the items up on the block new and fresh, and giving people the opportunity to put up offers fairly regularly, without the complexity of maintaining a system such as a database, spreadsheet, or whole forum dedicated to something that would probably end up being underused in a large scale.

When I suggested this idea most recently and started working on concept, I solicited feedback along the way and a few people stepped up to help flesh it out. I think what we came up with is a nice alternative to the PIF thread. There could probably be tweaks along the way to improve it but I think for it's intended purpose it's a little early to be considering it a failure. That said if someone has a better idea, by all means take the initiative and run with it.

I don't know if CG is the best place for the thread. CG has more eyes but more nonsense and silliness. Arch may be open to a trading forum in the marketplace. You can then utilize the idea but have multiple threads and items going at one time similar to the VCC. It's worth a shot to ask him.

The trading thread can be really cool. Nate made his comment and people have gone out of their way to be jerks.

There is still a humongous opportunity here to make amends and apologies and act like adults. Or we can play CGC Roulette and go for the most creative insults until somebody gets a strike. I have a ton of practice and I save almost allthe goodones when Fingh is railing on me.

Hell,I'll go first. I apologize for calling techtre and hulksmash mouthbreathers. I could have done what I just got done preaching and tried a little tact first. Sorry guys. That is on me. :foryou:

So no go on anyone making amends and seeing that they went around the bend with Ogami?

If you are going to be that close minded over Nate commenting on what was obvious and funny, I am afraid to see how you respond to real criticism.

:popcorn:

How are the rims?

sweet! :banana:

Still waiting on those guys to give an apology, huh?

I know what it's like. Roy made some nonsense up about me and when I called him on it all he could muster was, "Maybe I used the wrong words :blahblah:". And then after all the posts by everyone saying nobody should be telling others what to post, he not only makes stuff up and tries to tell me what to post,............... he actually complains about my posting style now. :roflmao:

"It's too abrasive." :cry::eyeroll:

You can't make this stuff up. Ah well, he lives down to his reputation as he is posted about on other forums.

I think a sub-forum might be for the best for a trading section. I have some stuff that isn't very high-dollar in value and even I am not always here so I can easily miss the 24-hour limit and claim the "on deck" spot.

-slym

I think a sub-forum might be for the best for a trading section. I have some stuff that isn't very high-dollar in value and even I am not always here so I can easily miss the 24-hour limit and claim the "on deck" spot.

-slym

I agree, a sub-forum might work out better for trading. I have a lot to trade, but find the thread too limiting. With only one person at a time and a short window period, that's just too restrictive.

-slym

I agree, a sub-forum might work out better for trading. I have a lot to trade, but find the thread too limiting. With only one person at a time and a short window period, that's just too restrictive.

+1

I like the IDEA of the way it is now, but think a sub forum would function better. :sorry:

I have a thought about the following rule:

:rulez:

Trading Post Thread Rules At a Glance

Please keep the chit-chat to a minimum in this thread. Keeping track of the current active trade and trade offers will be difficult enough without the interference of excessive chatter, trolling, and shenanigans. If you want to discuss this thread please do so in the PIF/Trading Post Discussion Thread .

Since this thread is not stickied, doesnt the thread need some type of "chit-chat" to keep it on the first page? Threads are so active in CG, that the thread can easily fall to the third page+ if there are no comments beyond the initial trade offer. I don't feel that most of the comments have been "chatter, trolling, and shenanigans".

Thoughts?

I have a thought about the following rule:

:rulez:

Trading Post Thread Rules At a Glance

Please keep the chit-chat to a minimum in this thread. Keeping track of the current active trade and trade offers will be difficult enough without the interference of excessive chatter, trolling, and shenanigans. If you want to discuss this thread please do so in the PIF/Trading Post Discussion Thread .

Since this thread is not stickied, doesnt the thread need some type of "chit-chat" to keep it on the first page? Threads are so active in CG, that the thread can easily fall to the third page+ if there are no comments beyond the initial trade offer. I don't feel that most of the comments have been "chatter, trolling, and shenanigans".

Thoughts?

It needs something. :cry: