• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

I saw a news story once about a lady that would just show up at weddings with her daughter, dance and have a great time, cut the cake, and make off with all the gifts.

Giving Tree rules clarification. We had a ruling regarding "add-on" offers, but how about snowball offers?

Meaning, I : takeit : the current offer, and offer my items + the current offer. The difference being that I have used my monthly : takeit : and am now responsible for the current offer: strikes, vetoes and all.

I can see how this could end up being pretty fun. Generous people could continually grow the current offer until someone takes it. The last person to add to the offer would have veto power over the person claiming the whole lot.

You see how people are with the rules now! ???hm(shrug):idea:

I feel like if we tweak it anymore, people will REALLY :ohnoez: with confusion.

Let's just leave it as is for a while. (thumbs u It's a two day old thread.

I'm not suggesting a rules change - just a clarification. I just wanted to know if the "add-on" rule would apply to my "snowball" scenario or if they are considered distinct.

You're saying take an offer and immediately offer it up and add to it and offer it back up? (shrug)

I can only imagine that would last the whole amount of time it took the next person to :takeit:

Sorry - I'm starting to become a pessimist I guess. :D

I'm gonna make a 'grumbling tree' thread where some giving happens but mainly complaining about how it works is the focus.

I think the second bottom feeder would end up getting a strike, but yeah there are some potentially negative scenarios as well as some potentially positive ones. :shrug:

Also, we're on the honor system here. What's to stop a bottom feeder from taking a great offer, then actually make a great offer in return, but never actually ship his offer out, just receiving the offer he took? In PIF no one is allowed to ship an item out until they recieve the one they took, right?

No, in PIF you don't ship your item until the next one is claimed.

That rule was a fairly recent addition to PIF and was necessary in conjunction with the 4 day rule.

One of the actual participants in that thread can probably chime in to let us know if the shipping honor system was ever an issue.

Also, we're on the honor system here. What's to stop a bottom feeder from taking a great offer, then actually make a great offer in return, but never actually ship his offer out, just receiving the offer he took? In PIF no one is allowed to ship an item out until they recieve the one they took, right?

No, in PIF you don't ship your item until the next one is claimed.

Which I think was a very important rule that we added. It would great here in case someones offer did not get claimed after 3 days.

That rule was a fairly recent addition to PIF and was necessary in conjunction with the 4 day rule.

One of the actual participants in that thread can probably chime in to let us know if the shipping honor system was ever an issue.

MKKiller, I think was his name. He didn't ship out something like 3 or 4 offers over a 1-2 month period. One of them was something I claimed. I'm told he made it right eventually, with everyone else, I never bothered to communicate with him to get what I was supposed to be given, but that's not his fault.

Other than that, I can't recall any incidents of people not sending out their offers but maybe there is more floating around.

ok I shipped my items to Chip the next day (Sat.) I have no doubt that Harv is going to send me mine, even though he hasn't yet. (He bought me something special on ebay and has to wait for it to be delivered to him. :cloud9:) Chip will get his on Mon or Tue. I sent it Priority so it gets there pretty fast. Is this scenerio a potential problem for other boardies? Shipping out before you receive your items? Just curious.