• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

I'm taking a break from participating in PIF. You have a nice mix of books available so I wouldn't sweat it. The thread will keep going even if your offers are not taken.

I'm taking a break from participating in PIF. You have a nice mix of books available so I wouldn't sweat it. The thread will keep going even if your offers are not taken.

Not sweating it at all. I just won't waste my time switching offers if people aren't going to participate. I probably should not of tried this time just like I should of let the GT die last time. I try to believe the best of people but seem to be continually disappointed. Thats not to say there aren't good people here.

Time for a thread revival!

As a long time PIF supporter and participant, I have to agree with others and say that it is time to unsticky the thread.

Just to be clear for new participants or old donkeys, PIF is not intended as a place to upgrade your sales thread. No one expects you to hold on to it forever, but at least pretend like you actually wanted the item before reselling it on the boards no less.

As Stan the Man would say, "Nuff said"

PIF is slow but why unsticky it? Just don't play and let the rest lie as it may. In my few months playing PIF I have made new board acquaintances and started dialogues with many new members. That has been nice, and frankly that is the only thread that has accomplished that for me.

I do not have GA or even SA comics, just don't have them. I also don't have BA minor keys or anything like that. So I try to make do with what I have and have been buying some art just for PIF. If that makes me a donkey so be it, but my genuine intention is to have fun and spread goodwill.

One of the good things about the PIF I think, is it's ability to continue without any monitoring. People can come and go, and there always seems to be someone new to get things going. This also brings new perspectives on how to run the PIF.

How does that change if it's unstickied?

I've never understood why it is. Hell, Friday threads get scrubbed for less than what goes on in PIF half the time. I'd think it would get more traction and more connections made if it actually needed participation to stay on the front page. (shrug)

I am of the opinion that there needs to be less stickied threads as it is. The ones that get traction every day anyway will always be on the front page (This week in your collection, this week back from CGC) and even some of the "locked" threads aren't needed there.

Basically, The Noob Guide & Boozads gude are the only user-threads that should be stickied, IMHO. The mod-loocked threads could be moved elsewhere, or at least consolidated.

-slym

:bump:

ah ha! So this is where all the person_without_enough_empathying and moaning is supposed to happen! This needs to be a link on the rules page, so they PIF's don't get derailed, and that way, there doesn't need to be a sticky thread for this discussion thread.)

I realize there may be a link in the rules page, but I"m testing this thread to see if the discussion thread is working as intended and a thread nazi calls out my ignorant noobness here and not in the PIF thread. :sorry:

Cant believe that now everyone is attacking everyone in the PIF. This is absolutely ridiculous. At this point I dont know what to say. Valiant , Bird etc have been long standing good members of this board. Again all this is doing is friving out the people who have been trying so hard to keep the PIF alive. Bird himself has done so much to help the PIF thread. He got alot of new people there , he was the reason I came to the thread. Again not saying its right or wrong but any issues can be handled behind the scenes in a IM. and then if nothing a public outing. I am at a total lost for words at what has happened today ina thread about being nice to people.

Cant believe that now everyone is attacking everyone in the PIF. This is absolutely ridiculous. At this point I dont know what to say. Valiant , Bird etc have been long standing good members of this board. Again all this is doing is friving out the people who have been trying so hard to keep the PIF alive. Bird himself has done so much to help the PIF thread. He got alot of new people there , he was the reason I came to the thread. Again not saying its right or wrong but any issues can be handled behind the scenes in a IM. and then if nothing a public outing. I am at a total lost for words at what has happened today ina thread about being nice to people.

Thanks.

They have a point though. You're probably the only one who knows how quickly I took that slab off of my sales page because the one you wanted was next to it. It's all good though I'm a big boy and I can take it I certainly have been dishing it out. And I was very gung ho for pif for quite a while but all good things must come to an end

so in the history of PIF/TGT, how does this weekend's flare up rate on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being scorched earth nuclear war? I cannot believe how petty we all have been but I expect this is not the worst it has been

I've not been around for the whole thing but its probably 1 6 or 7 on the scale. Definetely not a very tame weekend on the PIF but a think some stuff that needed to be said got said. Not thing has changed but its always good to air grievances.

yeah, but they should be timely grievances. People seem to be holding butt hurt from years ago.

If people were mad at my post today they would have plotzed at the one I posted this morning and deleted almost immediately. Misery loves company and this sure made me miserable, and disappointed in the human race. PIF has not been very smooth but it has been civil and I thought I had made some new friendly acquaintances. But it seems I have just been hiding my donkeyness with RAKs and free add-ons to other peoples option.

well, we won't have that problem anymore. Honestly 1Cool, you were the one who worried me the most in the beginning but you have kept your advice civil and eventually took one of my PIFs (right?...I don't pay attention to names much. I even gave away a strip to someone but have no idea who that was.) you never seem to be playing mall cop which I have grown to respect.

anyway...donkey out!

one of the things I keep reading is this

"trying to be kept alive"

"has helped to keep alive"

"to help keep this going"

etc

maybe it's time to let this thing die

I think you are right Hector, because there is no need to force a spontaneous thread to go on, especially if there is disagreement among the more common participants, but I also think it can’t be said "it must be left to die", as if you check the initial premises set by NamesJay (the thread starter) they weren’t the same people are assuming now.

It is clear that people trying to take advantage would always be there, but the problem to me lies in this: «how and by which means one should take "formal action" if the abuse becomes evident?».

I agree with most that the thread should be an enjoyable diversion, and so when one repeatedly takes interesting things but more than often offers inadequate things in return the situation should be handled in some way – I am just dubious on whether you should or can apply the same criteria – for example – that is being used in the Probation list or Hall of Shame: what we have there are commercial transactions for which the seller or the buyer did not honor payments, misrepresented objects, etc. so in fact you have grades of problematic to dishonest behavior, but in a thread where it is all based on follow-up trading and occasional gifts I am not convinced at all that adopting the same or similar rules would be appropriate.

If we stick to the initial premises PIF will surely become less "exciting" and maybe eventually die of natural death but no one would have big expectations, inversely if we have expectations we must all agree upon what these are, right? hm

And yes, of course I apologize to Swick if I lacked respect, but it was never my intention to misrepresent his position, and I can agree with a good deal of his criticism – as I said I have most problems with the attitude (sarcasm, derision, and it often feels like a sort of judgement on the person even if not intended as such).