• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I tell my wife?

69 posts in this topic

Why not sell it all and be done with it? Because I'm a collector. I'm cursed with the same affliction that many of you share.

Maybe I'm being selfish here, but I rather have a diverse collection (albeit significantly reduced) than have just a couple of big keys. What's the point in having a collection if I can't enjoy it. I didn't say all my comics are drek. I'm not ready to let it all go, just most of it.

If I can get my collection to about 3 or 4 boxes, I'd be happy and hopefully it won't be such a burden on my wife. Once I get it down to that point, I'm sure what I end up with will be fairly easy to sell.

I understand the need to pared down my collection. And you're right, it's all up to me to get rid of most of it before it becomes a heavy burden on my wife.

I have pared my collection down to a few hundred books, with a maximum collecting goal of 500. . There are plenty of them to enjoy, but without the massive burden of storing long boxes of books. I also believe that the common comic book runs will continue to devalue as the years go by and people migrate over to digital copies of their collection. I felt that instead of having all those books, to just sell them off, buy an iPad and digital comics, thus making my collection way more manageable. In the event something happens, it can be packed in a few boxes and sent away.

Wow... you guys really do hate dealers!

Unless you have significant keys or numerous high-end books, auction houses make no sense at all. Your local auctions will get you practically nothing, and a big house like Heritage will charge you to slab anything significant that isn't already slabbed, charge the seller's fee of course (and don't forget, the buyer's fee reduces the amount people bid in the first place), and it may be weeks or months before you see money depending on how far out the next auction is with your items. Plus most non-key books even at a Big House often don't bring much more than a dealer would pay anyway, if that, and a lot of stuff may be dumped into group lots, assuming the auction will want to handle it at all.

Sure... there are lots of scummy dealers out there, and your small local shop, even if honest and knowledgeable, may simply not have the funds to purchase them.

But the whole point of this thread is that YOU take care of that in advance... you guys know who the decent dealers are... a number of them are on these boards, and cover a range of territory across the country. Even if your heir(s) have to drive 100 or 200 miles with the collection, if you suspect you'll get a few thousand or more, it should be worth it... and unlike auction houses, you'll get the cash now.

Again... if your collection is only 200 high-grade Timelys, than Heritage or CLink are good bets. But if you have what most people have... boxes of bulk drek, plus some decent mid-range silver and bronze books, plus a few really nice keys, maybe a handful of odd golden-age in the mix, a couple of stacks of archive editions, graphic novels, the occasional statue, etc., a trusted dealer is the easiest, most efficient, and cost-effective way to go.

Not me! When I said “My wife knows who to call to sell it off if I should pass away unexpectedly,” she’s not going to be calling an old college friend or one of my drinking buddies, she’ll be calling a dealer. Who by chance I also happen to drink with.

I trust most dealers about as far as I can drop kick them while standing knee deep in wet cement, but that's still about twice as far as I trust most other collectors. lol

But in all seriousness, the selling strategy probably should depend on the nature of the collection. I collect mid-to-high-grade GA, the sort of books that usually get decent prices at auction. Because of all their fees, I wouldn't use Heritage. I think mycomicshop.com may have the lowest fees; CLink and CConnect are also both much lower than Heritage when you factor in the buyer's premium that Heritage has.

Not me! When I said “My wife knows who to call to sell it off if I should pass away unexpectedly,” she’s not going to be calling an old college friend or one of my drinking buddies, she’ll be calling a dealer. Who by chance I also happen to drink with.

Tell her to make sure he's had a couple of drinks before he makes an offer. Comics, among other things, look better after a few. (thumbs u

Unless you have significant keys or numerous high-end books, auction houses make no sense at all. Your local auctions will get you practically nothing, and a big house like Heritage will charge you to slab anything significant that isn't already slabbed, charge the seller's fee of course (and don't forget, the buyer's fee reduces the amount people bid in the first place), and it may be weeks or months before you see money depending on how far out the next auction is with your items. Plus most non-key books even at a Big House often don't bring much more than a dealer would pay anyway, if that, and a lot of stuff may be dumped into group lots, assuming the auction will want to handle it at all.

Sure... there are lots of scummy dealers out there, and your small local shop, even if honest and knowledgeable, may simply not have the funds to purchase them.

But the whole point of this thread is that YOU take care of that in advance... you guys know who the decent dealers are... a number of them are on these boards, and cover a range of territory across the country. Even if your heir(s) have to drive 100 or 200 miles with the collection, if you suspect you'll get a few thousand or more, it should be worth it... and unlike auction houses, you'll get the cash now.

Again... if your collection is only 200 high-grade Timelys, than Heritage or CLink are good bets. But if you have what most people have... boxes of bulk drek, plus some decent mid-range silver and bronze books, plus a few really nice keys, maybe a handful of odd golden-age in the mix, a couple of stacks of archive editions, graphic novels, the occasional statue, etc., a trusted dealer is the easiest, most efficient, and cost-effective way to go.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a dealer to build a "death packet" or "final arrangements kit" to provide as a .pdf download to potential customers who will someday kick the bucket and are unsure of what to do with their collection. :idea:

Great idea for a thread, and a catchy headline too. At first I thought it referred to blowing the budget on a comic book you can't afford and then . . . what does one tell one's wife?

But this is better. My father died last month after a year-long battle with cancer. He had a stamp collection which is now in boxes and plastic storage bins around my house adding to the clutter. (I'm a comic collector. I already had enough clutter.)

The difficulty is I lack the knowledge to assess the stamp collection. He's got stamps from Queen Victoria's reign, that is -- from the beginning of postal services. He was focused on the stamps of Great Britain and Canada. He was fastidious with his albums, and was a highly organized man. Many of his stamps are in mint, uncirculated condition and carefully, expertly stored for over 70 years. Are there thousands? Tens of thousands? I don't know. But I do know that I don't have the time or inclination to become expert enough in stamps to dispose of them in any way intelligently or profitably.

I've resolved to take them to a local stamp club meeting in October and discuss the market with whoever I meet there. My preliminary look at the stamp dealer market indicates that stamps are a much less healthy collectible market than comics. Of course in twenty years, will comics be thriving still?

As for the comics, I'm starting to sell mine now. I've got all the good raw stuff that's worth over $200 going to CGC in bundles of 15 or 20 at a time. When it comes back in a few months (?) I'll start offering them here. I hope to end the process in a few years with about fifty keys which I'll keep to the end, and a selection of Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives (and similar books from other publishers) for the fun and thrill of reading. Tripping over my father's boxes of stamps every day is a perfect reminder about why I have to get my comic book house in order.

This has been a real eye-opener for me. I never fully realized how much a burden it can be to leave a comic collection to somebody who has no interest in it. I always thought I would be leaving something of value for my family. I have never really given much thought as to how much work it would take to dispose of 1,000s of comics. Having read about the experience of others, it shows how short-sighted I’ve been. Faced now with selling most of the comics I can see how difficult it would be.

Who really cares what the wife does with em when I'm dead.I'll be dead!

But don't you care about providing financial resources for your wife and heirs? (shrug)

Nah! They can all choke on the money for all I care. lol

No one's wrong here, but I'm with the collectors on this.

Option 1 - dig the hole extra deep and put the books in first

Option 2 - get a crypt like Lucy's in Bram Stoker's Dracula (watch the movie and tell me you don't see oodles of shelf space!)

Option 3 - have my collection sold for pennies apiece because some scumbag swindled whoever I left them to, but hey! I'm dead!

At no point do I want to have a short box of keys. At that point, I no longer collect, because that's not a collection, that's an investment.

I pay money for the enjoyment of my books, not for the enjoyment of their value. I have worthless books, and I keep them just the same. I was struggling with this question before the thread was posted, and you've helped me decide. Settle my money matters first, and let the vultures pick my collection apart when I'm gone.

Option 2 - get a crypt like Lucy's in Bram Stoker's Dracula (watch the movie and tell me you don't see oodles of shelf space!)

Option 3 - have my collection sold for pennies apiece because some scumbag swindled whoever I left them to, but hey! I'm dead!

At no point do I want to have a short box of keys. At that point, I no longer collect, because that's not a collection, that's an investment.

I pay money for the enjoyment of my books, not for the enjoyment of their value. I have worthless books, and I keep them just the same. I was struggling with this question before the thread was posted, and you've helped me decide. Settle my money matters first, and let the vultures pick my collection apart when I'm gone.

F-it right! Have fun while your here on this earth,and let the vultures have at it when you are gone. :headbang:

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. As a family man, I feel a responsibilty to my loved ones. I'd like to leave them more. Sure I'll be dead, but the living go on living. If I'm providing for them while I'm living, why wouldn't I want to provide them with something in my passing?

I know I can't take it with me. But I certainly like the collection to be of use to my family when I'm gone. I've enjoyed it while I'm here. Hopefully, my family enjoy it (proceeds) when I'm gone.

I'm not saying to do otherwise is wrong. Like you say, "No one's wrong here."

Just have good life insurance coverage so you don’t have to worry about comics being any sort of financial stability for your family.

Collect to the end and when you’re gone your family can decide to keep them or sell them without any financial concerns.

Just have good life insurance coverage so you don’t have to worry about comics being any sort of financial stability for your family.

Collect to the end and when you’re gone your family can decide to keep them or sell them without any financial concerns.

Hear, hear! If your comic collection has a substantial impact on whether your family can take care of themselves after you're gone, then you've done something very wrong. :eek:

I have the same issue.

I've told my wife where all the important papers are (my file cabinet at work).

I've haven't decided what to tell her about the comic collection. I actually hope she will keep it and then leave to our kids, so they will have another asset to sell and split.

I think I'll give them 3-4 names to call. Hopefully my collection will be worth enough that these dealers will take the time to look my collection over and give a bid. So my family will have 3-4 bids to consider. Included among the 4 will be 1 or 2 auction houses, so the kids can consider whether to cherry pick some for auction, and then sell everything else as a lot to a dealer.

I do not intend to sell prior to when I pass, as someone else suggested (unless I really need the $). I want to enjoy my collection as long as I can. Having said that, I'm getting more into CGC books to make them easier to sell (at least that's one reason). I'm essentially having all my keys graded (either buying them as cgc or sending them in myself for grading). My kids probably wouldn't take that step, so this will make it easier for them to sell at FMV.