• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot modern comics

31 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am headed to a local con this weekend and was wondering if there are any modern comics from the past couple of years that are hot right now that I should pick up to flip on eBay. The only new title I read is Conan, so I am pretty clueless about other popular modern books.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I am headed to a local con this weekend and was wondering if there are any modern comics from the past couple of years that are hot right now that I should pick up to flip on eBay. The only new title I read is Conan, so I am pretty clueless about other popular modern books.

Thanks!

The Gift

shy.gif

Hi All,

Thanks!

If you just getting them to flip then I wouldn't bother. Go with what you know.

Hi All,

Thanks!

The Gift

shy.gif

Seriously? I though the preview issue someone posted was pretty weak.

Hi All,

Thanks!

If you just getting them to flip then I wouldn't bother. Go with what you know.

But the point is, HE DOES want to bother. Which I think is cool. Flipping is fun. Even if it is just buying a new comic for $3 and then selling it for $5 or $6. Not only that, but as a new or young comic book speculator/investor flipping Moderns is a good way to start out and learn the process. I say go for it full steam ahead. Unfortunately I don't buy any new comics (I'm mostly a Bronze guy) so I cannot help with recommending which titles to buy, but there are always Modern flipping oportunities out there, I do know that for sure. When I was flipping recent Moderns years ago I did notice that the life span of a current hot title was not very long. So my best advice is, for whichever new titles you choose to flip, don't hold on to them long but sell them off quickly, and repeat. Good luck. ------Sid

Legion Lost - runs going for upwards to $50.00 in NM on e-bay

Legion of Super Heroes - last five issues of the last run 121-125

Authority, Planetary, Flex Mentallo, Birds of Prey, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan

Problem is ..... any seller who knows what he's doing....and I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing....knows these are hot and they will be priced accordingly. many of these are ordinary singularly, but in runs they seem to be getting the big buck on e-bay.

But the point is, HE DOES want to bother. Which I think is cool. Flipping is fun. Even if it is just buying a new comic for $3 and then selling it for $5 or $6. Not only that, but as a new or young comic book speculator/investor flipping Moderns is a good way to start out and learn the process. I say go for it full steam ahead. Unfortunately I don't buy any new comics (I'm mostly a Bronze guy) so I cannot help with recommending which titles to buy, but there are always Modern flipping oportunities out there, I do know that for sure. When I was flipping recent Moderns years ago I did notice that the life span of a current hot title was not very long. So my best advice is, for whichever new titles you choose to flip, don't hold on to them long but sell them off quickly, and repeat. Good luck. ------Sid

I don't think it's a good idea to just decide to go and flip moderns in general, but if you want to do it successfully you do have to know what you are doing, and I'm not sure that we have a lot of successful modern "flippers" here. Best advice is to see what people are talking about, what's selling and ask store owners what they don't have but think they could sell. I don't think it's good advice to leap before he looks.

Heck, he knows and likes Conan, why not concentrate on #1? Or is it dead?

I could tell him to run out and get Avengers 500 or Identity Crisis 1, or Astonishing X-Men variant covers, or some such "hot" book. Michael Turner Superman/Batmans, Turner Flash covers, seem to do alright. The Turner Teen Titans 1 is a solid seller, as are most of the earlier issues of that series.

But if he has to ask, rather than look, then I don't think things will work out well and he'll end up being a disgruntled speculator.

The way I used to do it was to speculate in advance of the release. I'd buy select new comics, maybe up to ten copies of each book that I thought might become a hot title. Say buy a $2.50 cover book at an advance discount of $1.70 or so. Then I'd bring them to conventions and sell away (before Ebay, of course). Ebay may have changed a few things in that area but I've been out of Moderns for a while so I don't know. Once that the book did come out, if it looked as good as I thought I would pick up more new copies real quick for cover at stores. I did OK, but we are not talking big bucks here. However, it was fun and it did teach me a little about wheeling and dealing in the comic's biz. My best experiences were in buying 40 copies of Wolverine monthly #1 for a buck each and 10 copies each of Batman #426-429 for about 45 cents each. Sold all those within a year of their release at 10-25 times what I paid for them. Of course it usually did not end up that way, but it was a positive experience overall.-----Sid

Good point because I keep checking the monthly sales reports that Diamond publishes and I believe these issues were floating around 50,000 units which kind of made me scratch my head. Sold out every where but pre-orders were ordinary. I am still dying to know what direction they will be taking Thor in next.

what about...

Loki n°1

NYX n°3

popcorn.gif

Loki - thumbsup2.gif

NYX #3 - foreheadslap.gif sorry but the gal wasn't wolverine's daughter after all and the book is scheduled for a bigggggg drop.

"Thor 80

Legion Lost

Any Fiction House book, but especially Planets

Flex Mentallo (good luck!)

Avengers 500

Fantastic Four 67"

Those marvels are selling regularly on ebay for a tidy profit over cover...even picked up Thor 80 myself. To find Legion Lost or Flex Mentallo at a low price you're going to have to be a "gypsy, tramp, or thief" as most dealers will not part with them cheaply due to their limited availability.

I am still dying to know what direction they will be taking Thor in next.

You aren't the only one dying to know, as goldilocks himself is in the same boat.

How about indefinite hiatus? There is no Thor #86 because of what happens in Thor #85..

Gaiman and Russell are supposed to be doing a new Thor comic, but Gaiman hasn't even started work on it yet. Until then there is the Loki mini and Thor, Son of Asgard.

SO Thor will be gone, only leaving two monthly titles behind.

These sure are interesting times when a 40 year old character is cancelled/killed and still has more titles going than he did for the first 35 years or so of his career.

I doubt he will be gone for long. I fully expect him to reappear in the new year. Killing off Hawkeye is one thing but one of your core heros is just plain stupid. But then I guess so is making Spider-Man an Avenger. makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif

As I said, there are plans for Thor to return already, but for now Neil Gaiman has a "hold" on the character. I'm certain they will pressure him to write the book sooner than later, but we are talking about a busy guy, what with Miracleman/Marvelman returning and all.

I don't think it's a good idea to just decide to go and flip moderns in general, but if you want to do it successfully you do have to know what you are doing, and I'm not sure that we have a lot of successful modern "flippers" here. Best advice is to see what people are talking about, what's selling and ask store owners what they don't have but think they could sell. I don't think it's good advice to leap before he looks.

Heck, he knows and likes Conan, why not concentrate on #1? Or is it dead?

I could tell him to run out and get Avengers 500 or Identity Crisis 1, or Astonishing X-Men variant covers, or some such "hot" book. Michael Turner Superman/Batmans, Turner Flash covers, seem to do alright. The Turner Teen Titans 1 is a solid seller, as are most of the earlier issues of that series.

But if he has to ask, rather than look, then I don't think things will work out well and he'll end up being a disgruntled speculator.

Hey Kevin,

Don't worry about me being a disgruntled speculator, I have been buying and flipping older modern books for a while (check out my marketplace posts - Valiants have been a great play for a while grin.gif). However, I am a bit out of touch with the current market (building new house on own = no play money/time for comics) and figured that this would be the best way to find out what recent books are worthwhile to pick up and flip. Last year I picked up multiples of Wolvie #146-148, ASM (vol 2) #19-29, Hulk #25, Next Men #21, and other hot books for cover or less (some as low as 25 cents each) and did very nicely with them.

Cheers,

Ryan wink.gif

SO Thor will be gone, only leaving two monthly titles behind.

These sure are interesting times when a 40 year old character is cancelled/killed and still has more titles going than he did for the first 35 years or so of his career.

I doubt he will be gone for long. I fully expect him to reappear in the new year. Killing off Hawkeye is one thing but one of your core heros is just plain stupid. But then I guess so is making Spider-Man an Avenger. makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif

IF YOU JUST REVEALED WHO DIES IN AVENGERS 502, makepoint.gif

I specifically have been avoiding that thread until I get it.