• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Female Characters

49 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or has DC really taken off in terms of populating their universe with female characters, both heroes and villains? And in the process left Marvel in the dust pretty much.

Batgirl

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Joker's Daughter

They really seem to be pushing the ladies out there whereas Marvel has their females hooked up in teams rather than on their own.

Anyone else noticing this?

Thought I'd take a look at the numbers of titles led by female characters from DC and Marvel's October and November 2013 solicitations (September is a bit skewed for DC with villains month). Ignoring one-shots and minis, the tally is:

DC

Batgirl

Batwoman

Birds of Prey (team)

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Katana

Suicide Squad (team)

Supergirl

Superman/Wonder Woman (team)

Trinity of Sin: Pandora

Wonder Woman

World's Finest (team)

Total: 8 solo titles, 4 team

Marvel

Captain Marvel

Fearless Defenders (team)

X-Men (team)

Total: 1 solo title, 2 team

That's pretty striking. Obviously Marvel has strong female characters, but it's clear they are not currently being featured in the way they are at DC - e.g. they appear in Avengers and X-Men titles that are not female led.

It would be really interesting to know whether the readership demographic reflects this, but other than speaking to their marketing departments it's probably not possible to gauge that.

Thought I'd take a look at the numbers of titles led by female characters from DC and Marvel's October and November 2013 solicitations (September is a bit skewed for DC with villains month). Ignoring one-shots and minis, the tally is:

DC

Batgirl

Batwoman

Birds of Prey (team)

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Katana

Suicide Squad (team)

Supergirl

Superman/Wonder Woman (team)

Trinity of Sin: Pandora

Wonder Woman

World's Finest (team)

Total: 8 solo titles, 4 team

Marvel

Captain Marvel

X-Men (team)

Total: 1 solo title, 2 team

That's pretty striking. Obviously Marvel has strong female characters, but it's clear they are not currently being featured in the way they are at DC - e.g. they appear in Avengers and X-Men titles that are not female led.

It would be really interesting to know whether the readership demographic reflects this, but other than speaking to their marketing departments it's probably not possible to gauge that.

Thanks for doing the leg work to show that my observation has something to it. (thumbs u

Anyone else noticing this?

Captain Marvel

The all women Xmen team

They really seem to be pushing the ladies out there whereas Marvel has their females hooked up in teams rather than on their own.

Captain Marvel

The all women Xmen team

:facepalm:

I was saying the titles that feature females prominently.

Marvel

Captain Marvel

X-Men (team)

Forgot about Fearless Defenders, but its a team book so :facepalm: