• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thief of Thieves: To Grade or No To Grade?

13 posts in this topic

Hey People.

I have 1-16 Thief of Thieves all first prints and I wanted to know your imput on wether or not to send 1-5 in. They are all in good condition and have never been read. Not really sure how valuable they will be in the future, so will it be a good idea to get them graded now and hope for the best? Or hang onto them and see what happens?

Your thought please :grin:

Why grade now if you don't plan to sell now? You would be investing some $100 that would see no return.

If you plan to sell now I think I would only grade 1-3 and only if 2 & 3 were 9.6 or better and number 1 @ 9.4 or better.

"Good condition" can mean a lot of different things (and hopefully not GD 2.0). Make sure you know the difference between 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8. If you are confident your #1 is 9.6 or better, consider grading that as a test of your CGC-grade prediction skills.

I would grade #1 if good condition means NM+. Especially if you are going to Baltimore or somewhere you can just drop it off. I would hold on to #2-#4 raw because why pay that much now if you are really only holding for value and not because you want it for your PC?

Thank you for the response. I think I will grade #1 just to be safe. I am going to put them into my PC for now and see how the comic turns out. They are all in NM+ i haven't read them ( I read the TPBs) and they are bagged and boarded in my collection box so they should be fine for years to come. I am more into the funnier comics such as Chew so Thief of Thieves wasn't really a fabulous read for me... at least not yet anyways

On my first ever submission to CGC I received two 9.6's and a 9.4. All three books I thought were 9.8's. I have since cracked a few worthless 9.8 slabs and now I can tell the difference and can pick a 9.8 9 times out of ten. Just takes time and experience.

The lower grades on the SA/BA books are much more difficult for me..

On my first ever submission to CGC I received two 9.6's and a 9.4. All three books I thought were 9.8's. I have since cracked a few worthless 9.8 slabs and now I can tell the difference and can pick a 9.8 9 times out of ten. Just takes time and experience.

I agree too. I learned CGC's grading method of 9.8's after I sent 22 of them and 17 came back 9.8's and I looked at the other 5 which graded at 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, and 9.6. I saw the differences among them and was like so that's what CGC looks for in 9.8's.

Did y'all know you can have 2 minor spine stress that break color and still get a 9.8

I am sending for the first now as we speak (Chew 1-5) so im not sure to much what CGC wants for a 9.8 but I hope i get as good at spotting it soon like you :grin: