• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you slab a Neal Adams book or not? X-Men #58 1st Havok

32 posts in this topic

You are absolutely correct. It's tough, especially if you love comics for the art and stories, to encapsulate one in plastic. But you can always crack it and take it out. So slab that baby and you'll ensure high return if you ever sell it; then buy a low grade reader so you can keep enjoying the art and story.....

Do you want to sell it? Oh, wait.. never mind. grin.gif

I agree with the others. I have Marvel Masterworks for my early FF's. They are expanding to issue 80 with the new volumes (have to pick up volume 6 & 7 at some point) -- anyone know if they plan to keep going?

I can think of no reason to slab any comic unless you're selling it. BTW, if both right hand corners have creases along with what looks like two color breaking spine stress' and the round lower left corner I don't think CGC would grade that better then 8 - 8.5.

I can think of no reason to slab any comic unless you're selling it.

Between the cost, the risk of slab damage, the increased space needed to store slabs and the turnaround time, I can't imagine why anyone would slab a book unless it was a truly exceptional display piece. Wouldn't you rather spend your money on comics? confused-smiley-013.gif

I suspect that CGC has unwittingly tapped into a subconscious gambler mentality in some... submitting is like pulling the handle, and the wheels stop when the box comes back from Sarasota.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Suvey says..."

Slab her and buy a reader or reprint for the art and story. Great book,my friend! That is one of my all time fav. X-Men covers.That one has been on my wish list for quite some time(but then what is`nt ?).

I can think of no reason to slab any comic unless you're selling it. BTW, if both right hand corners have creases along with what looks like two color breaking spine stress' and the round lower left corner I don't think CGC would grade that better then 8 - 8.5.

Here's one reason to slab it! sumo.gif It grades higher than 8.5 in it's sleep! insane.gif

hi.gif

"Suvey says..."

Slab her and buy a reader or reprint for the art and story. Great book,my friend! That is one of my all time fav. X-Men covers.That one has been on my wish list for quite some time(but then what is`nt ?).

Here's another reason to slab it! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Between the cost, the risk of slab damage, the increased space needed to store slabs and the turnaround time, I can't imagine why anyone would slab a book unless it was a truly exceptional display piece. Wouldn't you rather spend your money on comics? confused-smiley-013.gif

I suspect that CGC has unwittingly tapped into a subconscious gambler mentality in some... submitting is like pulling the handle, and the wheels stop when the box comes back from Sarasota.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zip,

I've got some 3,000 SA and BA books from my original collection. Unfortunately, like many collections from the period, only about 20% of them are VF/NM or higher. Even though I have a broad client base, I don't think I would even get guide for this book, unless it was slabbed. Buyers/collectors are notorious seekers of "bargains".

divad

(but it is one sweet book to read!)

Here's one reason to slab it! sumo.gif It grades higher than 8.5 in it's sleep! insane.gif

hi.gif

Good luck with that. Let us know the grade when you get it back. thumbsup2.gif

Even though I have a broad client base, I don't think I would even get guide for this book, unless it was slabbed. Buyers/collectors are notorious seekers of "bargains".

No doubt, and I wasn't questioning the wisdom of slabbing it to sell. That we can agree on. I thought you were asking if it should be slabbed just because it's a Neal Adams cover in decent condition (to keep for yourself).

If it's for sale, slab away to maximize profit -- unless it's something I want... tongue.gif

Even though I have a broad client base, I don't think I would even get guide for this book, unless it was slabbed. Buyers/collectors are notorious seekers of "bargains".

No doubt, and I wasn't questioning the wisdom of slabbing it to sell. That we can agree on. I thought you were asking if it should be slabbed just because it's a Neal Adams cover in decent condition (to keep for yourself).

If it's for sale, slab away to maximize profit -- unless it's something I want... tongue.gif

I'm on the fence on this one (that's why I posted the question!) Thanks. hi.gif

hi.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zip,

I've got some 3,000 SA and BA books from my original collection. Unfortunately, like many collections from the period, only about 20% of them are VF/NM or higher. Even though I have a broad client base, I don't think I would even get guide for this book, unless it was slabbed. Buyers/collectors are notorious seekers of "bargains".

divad

It's definitely a matter of finances and how much better your return will be if the book is slabbed. But I don't think books have to be super high grade to justify slabbing them.

I've slabbed a number of low grade books (usually 4.0 and up), especially early numbers (ie ASM 2 - 20) and keys in order to maximize my return. If I sell a raw ASM 10 in 5.0 on ebay I'm gonna get half of guide if I'm lucky. But if I slab it for $25 and put it on ebay, I will get very close to full guide, and in some cases the bidding has driven books over guide! (when was the last time you sold a raw 4.0 or 5.0 non-key for more than guide.....unless you're Chuck Rozanski??).

The bottom line is that when the difference is $75 or $100 or more, to me it's worth slabbing the book. The only thing is, you have to be willing to wait months to get it back via economy tier.

Bottom line: slabbed books, even in lower grades, sell well. I'm sure it's the security issue--people are willing to pay guide when they KNOW the grade is right.

hi.gif

I just saw it at lunch today. It's a really pretty copy in person. The scan does not do it justice. The "crease" in the lower left corner isn't really a crease. More like a faint line of color loss that doesn't quite rise to the level of a crease. The upper right corner is also pretty faint. Overall, I'd give the book somewhere around a 9.0. Superb gloss and no surface impressions on the cover. cloud9.gif I'd be surprised if it came back at 8.0 (the only 8.0 I have that looks as nice as this one is a TOS#52 with an interior stain that penetrates 11 pages -- see link below), though and I would be disappointed (though not completely surprised) if it got an 8.5.

TOS#52 CGC 8.0

Have I mentioned recently that one of my favorite things about these forums is that I now get together semi-regularly with my comic buddies and geek out over pretty funnybooks? cloud9.gif I never got to do that before.

yay.gif

I don't think I would even get guide for this book, unless it was slabbed. Buyers/collectors are notorious seekers of "bargains".

divad

Bingo hi.gif