• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8s With Spine Stress?

105 posts in this topic

Buy the number, not the book.

I actually agree with the "buy the book, not the number" argument. However, you could not see these spine ticks in the photos posted on eBay. Also, there should be a certain degree of confidence when you buy a 9.8 that it will look almost perfect. I always thought that spine stress would automatically knock a book out of being a 9.8 candidate. Personally, I will never send a book to CGC if I see any spine stress as I assume it would get a 9.4 at most.

I actually agree with the "buy the book, not the number" argument. However, you could not see these spine ticks in the photos posted on eBay. Also, there should be a certain degree of confidence when you buy a 9.8 that it will look almost perfect. I always thought that spine stress would automatically knock a book out of being a 9.8 candidate. Personally, I will never send a book to CGC if I see any spine stress as I assume it would get a 9.4 at most.

Different people get different grading when sending books to cgc. A big time dealer that is a key client will get the benefit of the doubt every time. Meanwhile Joe smoe from the street sending to CGC will find it hard to get a break - especially on the big books. He may get a 9.8 on a book he expected to be 9.6. ..but only on a random small book.

...or so the rumor goes.

This has driven me crazy for years now. People post a book in the "Can You Spare a Grade" area, and if it has one color breaking spine tick, it's declared to be a 9.0 or 9.2. Then I look at ebay and see tons of 9.6's with such defects.

They also seem to grade all books the same, no matter the age or known defects. But that is why you have to make a judgement call for yourself what the final results may be. All they are providing is suggestions based on the limited pictures provided.

Not replying to anyone in particular but saying "spine tick" alone is not enough to describe how severe the defect is.

How many, how deep they run, how long they are, how much colour they break and even what colour cover they appear all will all factor into how CGC assigns a grade, IMO.

(thumbs u

I'm with the guy with the long hair and leather pants.

It's a key point. Spine ticks seen at arms' length are not the same as ticks seen at 3".

It makes this a really tough discussion to have, due to all the variables. I guess when I refer to spine ticks, I'm thinking of the classic 1/16" or greater, visible at arms' length, but mileage may vary for everyone.

If you use Frontline, spine ticks can be avoided, along with ticks anywhere else on the body.

:whistle:

This has driven me crazy for years now. People post a book in the "Can You Spare a Grade" area, and if it has one color breaking spine tick, it's declared to be a 9.0 or 9.2. Then I look at ebay and see tons of 9.6's with such defects.

They also seem to grade all books the same, no matter the age or known defects. But that is why you have to make a judgement call for yourself what the final results may be. All they are providing is suggestions based on the limited pictures provided.

Not replying to anyone in particular but saying "spine tick" alone is not enough to describe how severe the defect is.

How many, how deep they run, how long they are, how much colour they break and even what colour cover they appear all will all factor into how CGC assigns a grade, IMO.

(thumbs u

I'm with the guy with the long hair and leather pants.

It's a key point. Spine ticks seen at arms' length are not the same as ticks seen at 3".

It makes this a really tough discussion to have, due to all the variables. I guess when I refer to spine ticks, I'm thinking of the classic 1/16" or greater, visible at arms' length, but mileage may vary for everyone.

If you use Frontline, spine ticks can be avoided, along with ticks anywhere else on the body.

:whistle:

I tried that, it works but stains the paper. (:

Different people get different grading when sending books to cgc. A big time dealer that is a key client will get the benefit of the doubt every time. Meanwhile Joe smoe from the street sending to CGC will find it hard to get a break - especially on the big books. He may get a 9.8 on a book he expected to be 9.6. ..but only on a random small book.

...or so the rumor goes.

The graders don't know whose book(s) they are grading. I could buy into some folks get their submissions processed faster and high volume submitters may even get a high volume discount but I think if it was ever discovered that certain submitters were getting gravy grades, kaput goes the business.

Not worth that risk and there seems to be no shortage of folks submitting books.

Issues grading consistency, untimely TATs, increasing cost, poor or at least inconsistent customer service (this one I haven't experienced personally), and QC faux pas haven't affected them. We'll see what the future holds.