• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

mycomicshop.com currently has Joker's Daughter 3D for $12!

Go get it! :banana:

I hope you know even at $12 you are paying the hype. mycomicshop price their books really well most time. hopefully, after NYCC people still love them and pay extra for it.

I know but I now have a second set. One to move and 1 to keep.

Wow! What a month! There was cool covers, some good stories, and it was definitely nice to see comics overall get a buzz again. I'm glad it is over though. This has to be one of the most confusing things in comics ever!

To sum it up:

First all titles were solicited as 3D. Then they were allocated based on sales history and returnable 2Ds were offered since there was not enough lenticular covers available. Furthermore allocations were not based on the "Title" the book was on they were based other titles the story was related to. Example: Joker's Daughter was based on Catwoman sales instead of Dark Knight even though it is Dark Knight 23.4. They probably originally titled the book Dark Knight 23.4 because Dark Knight has been selling more than Catwoman (I'm guessing). On top of that the forever evil 3D variant was originally going to be a 1:25 variant changed to one per store for qualifying stores. It is now going to be offered with the 2nd print 3D set, but the Forever Evil 3D will be a first print. There was a link a few pages back on this thread saying it will be a 2nd print. I guess we'll see. The previews solicitation doesn't specifically call the forever evil 3D a second print... (shrug)

"Please note that because of the longer than normal production time needed to print 3-D motion covers, this is the soonest they can arrive in stores. The issues included in this set will be printed to order; they will not be allocated. Covers in this set, including Forever Evil #1, will be labeled 'second printing.'"

Of course, this is from a while back and may not be current.

I hadn't heard the FE was going to be labeled a second print. Interesting.

the joker's daughter book has been a thorn in my side. my LCS only got 3 copies of its total order(if they got 4 one would be in my hands) and its crazy to pay $50 for a book that sold for $4 3 days ago. if i cant get one for a decant price i might just break up the collection because comic books are cool but cash is king

Wow! What a month! There was cool covers, some good stories, and it was definitely nice to see comics overall get a buzz again. I'm glad it is over though. This has to be one of the most confusing things in comics ever!

To sum it up:

First all titles were solicited as 3D. Then they were allocated based on sales history and returnable 2Ds were offered since there was not enough lenticular covers available. Furthermore allocations were not based on the "Title" the book was on they were based other titles the story was related to. Example: Joker's Daughter was based on Catwoman sales instead of Dark Knight even though it is Dark Knight 23.4. They probably originally titled the book Dark Knight 23.4 because Dark Knight has been selling more than Catwoman (I'm guessing). On top of that the forever evil 3D variant was originally going to be a 1:25 variant changed to one per store for qualifying stores. It is now going to be offered with the 2nd print 3D set, but the Forever Evil 3D will be a first print. There was a link a few pages back on this thread saying it will be a 2nd print. I guess we'll see. The previews solicitation doesn't specifically call the forever evil 3D a second print... (shrug)

Bleeding Cool seems to report same thing: Forever Evil #1 3D will be second print...

And for those collectors worried that they won’t be able to get all 52 motion covers, you can also order the Villains Month 3-D Motion Complete Set, which will have all the comics in second print, in a box, as well as Forever Evil #1 3D Second Print Variant for $199.99 for December 11th.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/06/all-dc-comics-3d-covers-sold-out-and-will-be-allocated-2d-versions-and-digital-versions-available-for-a-dollar-less/

To sum it up:

Bleeding Cool seems to report same thing: Forever Evil #1 3D will be second print...

And for those collectors worried that they won’t be able to get all 52 motion covers, you can also order the Villains Month 3-D Motion Complete Set, which will have all the comics in second print, in a box, as well as Forever Evil #1 3D Second Print Variant for $199.99 for December 11th.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/06/all-dc-comics-3d-covers-sold-out-and-will-be-allocated-2d-versions-and-digital-versions-available-for-a-dollar-less/

The link was from August. The second prints were re-solicited for a February ship date, not December. The article is out of date. hm

To sum it up:

The link was from August. The second prints were re-solicited for a February ship date, not December. The article is out of date. hm

hm I guess it all depends on when they decided to change the first distribution from 1:25 to 1 per account and how that affected the second solicitation? I wonder how many 2nd print sets are going to sell and if those new FE #1's (if they are 1st prints) will be enough to impact the current price and supply.

I am cconsidering going newsstand edition hunting this weekend. Never done this before. Would I have better luck at Barnes and Noble or at Books-A-Million? Any thoughts?

I think it is a wise move. I have been doing this for a while and these books are truly rare in high grade. There are many factors with these comics. Low printed to begin with, books are placed on shelf with no remorse then customers rifle through them thus leaving books with many defects. Any unsold issues are sent back to publisher to be pulped. Places like Barnes & Noble do not make any profit from selling comics at their stores.

I don't know about Books- a- Million but Barnes and Noble is a good start.

So, my advice is buy, buy, buy!!! Eventually the comic community will realize these comics are actually variants and some as price variants and are a must have item.

I predict in the near future, newsstand issues to be the ones to get and command a higher value than direct editions. I know comic retailers will not like that but I see it happening.

Good Luck with your search!!!

Tough part is high grade is very very tough. There are a few guys on here that buy/sell high grade copies and they will tell you same thing. Get them early or you wont get a NM copy.

So after reading Joker's Daughter is there still an argument about the first appearance in Catwoman 23? Can anyone confirm CW 23 is going to be listed as the cameo or 1st full appearance yet?

Catwoman 23 the way I see it but the majority and time will decide.

I guess but it seems like she's going to be a version of duela dent ( duela dextrose? )....so that makes her first appearance earlier...I dunno, but I think I'm gonna sell my joker's daughter stuff before the answer comes out....

The 3D covers were moving fast at the Edmonton Expo today. Everything was in demand. It got to the point where even other dealers were buying from us as the three of us (500club, Artboy99 and I) were loaded up on them. Here are the prices that were quick sales:

$10 apiece - Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Man-Bat, Braniac, Zod, Darkseid, Creeper, Owls, Mongul + most others

$15 - First Born, Poison Ivy, Black Adam

$20 - Mr. Freeze, Lobo

$30 - Harley Quinn (sold two at that price)

$50 - Joker's Daughter (only copy I had)

Looking at the day, I sold $400+ worth of 3D covers in total. Too bad I was out of town and did not have a chance to grab my two files full of 3D covers at the two LCSs I have them at. :cry:

you know I recently got a 1:100 justice league 23 I was going to sell, and then I realized...isn't that the 1st appearance of ultra man and all those forever evil characters?....seems like the going price right now is only 30 bucks...

So, I was lucky enough to get 6 of the Lenticular covers, (Doomsday, Reverse Flash, Killer Crok, Black Adam, Black Manta, and Black Hand)

I initially got these because I thought they were cool covers and liked the art, but now that I'm reading all the hype about them, I'm wondering if you guys had any thoughts on whether I should have these graded for preservation (and possibly value) sake?

also wondering if the release of the second printings will increase or decrease the future value of these books? They're all over Ebay right now. Everything seems to be about these covers lately.

Either way they're cool covers, just looking for opinions.

you know I recently got a 1:100 justice league 23 I was going to sell, and then I realized...isn't that the 1st appearance of ultra man and all those forever evil characters?....seems like the going price right now is only 30 bucks...

It wont be consider their 1st appearance except in DC new 52. They are old characters called the Crime Syndicate they been here for years. JLA 29 I think from memory. Loved the old JSA/JLA crossover featuring them.