• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

No JD 3D covers in my area, either, although I didn't go out to Raleigh. Chapel Hill & Durham were barren. One store had no 3D covers out at all, and they are the "biggest" store in my area. I think they are cutting out the middle man and being the speculator themselves.

:shrug:

-slym

:hi: hey slym

One of our shops is doing the same thing. It is causing me to change how I look at them and has me willing to drive a little more to do business with the shop that took care of me.

So my day started at Midtown comics in Grand central where I was greeted by this sign around 7:30 am

I was at Midtown Grand Central the day after the Week 1s hit, and they had dozens and dozens of every one, with a limit of one per cover per customer. They must have had 60 Darkseids and 100 Jokers. I wonder how come they didn't have a ton of the week 3s unless they are going to put them on Ebay or something.

Mine did that with me the other week with the Harley cover. I was there that morning and they said that they had none left. Asked 2 different employees and they said the same thing. Looked on their eBay store and they had 3 copies for $20 a piece. It put a bad taste in my mouth because I've been going there for years.

They did put aside a copy of JD 3D for me today. So it made me feel a little better about them.

I wonder if some stores put the fold on known speculators.

Like, they will put books aside for their pull list customers. But if a guy rolls in who doesn't have a box there, and they know is just flipping them, they just tell him they don't have the desirable 3Ds available.

One of our shops is doing the same thing. It is causing me to change how I look at them and has me willing to drive a little more to do business with the shop that took care of me.

(thumbs u

I remember back in 1986 when Batman Dark Knight #1 had sold out everywhere, and after I had walked all over town looking for a copy to no avail, a kind shop owner sold me an unclaimed pull copy for cover price rather than a 'hot back issue' price. I do understand sometimes shops 'gotta do what they gotta' to survive, but it says something that I still remember that act of kindness, 27 years later.

So my day started at Midtown comics in Grand central where I was greeted by this sign around 7:30 am

I was at Midtown Grand Central the day after the Week 1s hit, and they had dozens and dozens of every one, with a limit of one per cover per customer. They must have had 60 Darkseids and 100 Jokers. I wonder how come they didn't have a ton of the week 3s unless they are going to put them on Ebay or something.

:hi: hey Sean

It looks like they had a bigger week 4 allocation than week 3 around here. They had a nice stack of Banes and Doomsday when I went today and the only thing sold out was the JD.

I just don't see any 3D cover should worth anything, looks like the good old days again. DC with restart + gimmick cover. I'm so glad I haven't buy any Marvel DC titles in last 18 years.

During lunch break I went a store, the clerk (they had total 5 copies on the shelve) was telling me two people was fighting for a copy of JD 3D. The female customer punched the guy on the mouth and told him get his hands off her book. that was the highlight of the day. She must be the true fan of the book.

but they look good. we cant talk about gimmick covers because those grimms fairy tales books are all gimmicks.

guilty as charged, sir. :grin: But Zenescope is small and they had been doing it from day one. without cover gimmick, they would be gone a long time ago. they are trying to sell the cover rather the story. And their story is not that bad. Most of their books will have no value after 10-20 years. it's really for a small group of niche collectors.

For DC Marvel, trying to just sell cover is lacking creativity. These 3D covers does look very nice. I had seen them in store. much better than anything from 90s. they had so many good characters went to waste land instead of making bank on them.

Darkseid was a week 1? One shop nearby has a stack of them still...

hm

-slym

"Very cool covers, BUT they're not over printing them (in fact, they're under-printed, ). Much cooler than anything that came out in the 90's.

They're not constantly printing "gimmick" covers, or pumping variants, #1's, etc. in huge amounts like they used to.

Granted, the reboots, and new #1's is annoying, but no where near how the 90's was.

The stories actually have substance this time around. Think of the "gimmick" covers as an added bonus to a bunch of great comic series."

They are printing them based on their orders (or even a little less -- to create hysteria?)..which I guess is different than the early 90s where the companies figured something would sell a million copies, so they printed that many? (Marvel switched later in the 90s to printing based on ordersm right?) But in reality, the only reason the print-runs are low is that the orders are low. Very few shops can take a chance ordering 1000 extra of some $3.99 cover price book nowadays. It could put them out of business (indeed, as making multiple overorders with Turok 1, etc. put many a shop out of business in the 90s).

With that said, these covers are cooler than anything from 20 years ago where it was just holo-this, foil-that, glow in the dark --- easy stuff.

:hi: hey Sean

It looks like they had a bigger week 4 allocation than week 3 around here. They had a nice stack of Banes and Doomsday when I went today and the only thing sold out was the JD.

Yup, they had EVERYTHING but Jokers Daughter... I think that the fact that they actually put a sign on their front door saying "SOLD OUT" so early in the morning was because so many people called them and asking for a copy.. I know I called yesterday and they told me to come check in early today.. I called FP yesterday and they said come over early and well have one for ya.. And they did.

Also, I went to BulletProof in Flatbush later (around 11am when they opened) and one of the kids who works there handed me a JD3D and said congrats you made it, but before I could even grab it the owner of the store jumped at him and said Noooo! These are reserved sorry! and he took them away... I know he wasnt using it for his regular pull cause they had the files for customers who were already picking them up ready made.. But I cant blame him for doing so, after all Im not a regular customer there...

Moral of the story is.. Forbidden Planet did good by me and this is not the first time they're taking care of me and its one hell of a store regardless =)