• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Know when to hold em, know when to sold em

67 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I was speaking with Billy today about a book I had multiples on. I wanted some advice on whether I should sell my multiples or keep them for some more growth down the line. This seemed like a GREAT idea for a thread (hopefully this hasnt already been done or I'm gonna look like a complete idiota). Anybody who has books that they are on the fence about can post the title, issue and grade and get a yea/nay from the boardies as well as some sage advice (when to sell, least amount to sell it for, etc). The book I was speaking to Billy about was Spidey #1 Gold UPC 9.8 and we both agree that this book is a SELL, SELL, SELL once the new Spidey comes out.

Here's another. I have 2 copies of G.I. Joe #21 silver foil Renegar edition both at 9.6 (one is currently being pressed to a possible 9.8).

Sell or Dont Sell???

G.I Joe is a franchise which has been fully developed, I predict some growth but no real surprises....so I would say sell. I can see this franchise at it's current height of popularity, but as each successive GI joe film makes less, then the talents assigned go from A to b down da alphabet...I'd sell them if I had them....

I'm on the fence about selling east of west...it's picking up steam lately and I think the graphic novel will make it hotter....anyone remember what saga did when it was in it's 1st 3-5 issues?

For the GI Joe, I would say sell. I am not sure what else would make a spike in the GI Joe comics. They have done cartoons, toys, and movies. Seeing that the Rock, and some bigger names were in the last movie, I can't see that getting much bigger than that. SELL!

G.I Joe is a franchise which has been fully developed, I predict some growth but no real surprises....so I would say sell. I can see this franchise at it's current height of popularity, but as each successive GI joe film makes less, then the talents assigned go from A to b down da alphabet...I'd sell them if I had them....

I'm on the fence about selling east of west...it's picking up steam lately and I think the graphic novel will make it hotter....anyone remember what saga did when it was in it's 1st 3-5 issues?

I was picking SAGAs #5 and #6 out of the 1/2 off bin. Then the trade came out. :banana:

Verdict on G.I. Joe #21 is a SELL SELL SELL!!

Thanks guys.

Awax, Billy is Paperairplane on the boards. Very awesome dude!!

Awakeintheashes, yes it was. I have multiple sigline pics.

I hope some other guys on here run with this thread and keep it alive...

There is a TL;DR (too long; didn't read) at the end of this post.

I'll change the URL links into direct images after I reduce the sizes of the images.

I was talking to my brother Billy about possibly off-loading my Flash volume 2 collection. It's getting hotter with the movie rumors and recent television news (appearances on the CW's Arrow are definite -- some speculate it will be a test for a series dedicated to the Flash).

My collection is:

(+) one full run of Flash's second volume: issues 1 through 247. It has been carefully read once. They are bagged and boarded. In normal sales cases, I would yield on the cautious side and say they are VF+/NM.

In reality, they are closer to 9.4s and 9.6s. I looked at all key issues for CGC submission. They are 9.4 or 9.6 candidates. I submitted two; both of which returned as 9.6s.

Included were the 9.6s: first zoom and the final issue of the run 247.

Sorry about the others in the photo.

The picture is of my latest submission.

In addition to the full run detailed above, I have:

(+) 27 Flash cgc 9.8 blue labels. Images:

Some of which are appearances (aquaman, green lantern, etc), the ends of story arcs and a first character appearance (Impulse in #92).

(+) In addition to the NM comics above, I have:

all out of sequence issues (0, 1/2, million). NM

two sets of annuals (26 in total) NM-

The Flash rebirth (mini series of 4)

36 extras that are G to VF+

I was thinking of selling all of the about for: $1420 ebay BIT (or $1350 paypal or $1275 cash in hand).

TL;DR:

Flash Volume 2

full run (250 comics) in NM- condition

two sets of annuals (13x2 comics) in NM- condition

26 CGC 9.8 blue labels

36 extras in VG condition

Thinking of selling for $1,350

Unless the Flash showing up in Arrow is Wally West, I wouldn't see any reason for Flash Vol 2 to heat up beyond general interest in the Flash due to the movie and his appearance in Arrow. It seems most likely that the Flash in movies/TV will be Barry Allen since he is the one in the current comic series.

I would hold onto the keys (1, 53, 92, 164, 197) until Wally shows up again or some more concrete news pops up for the TV show and/or movie.

When prices get to a point, based upon your initial investment, that you would feel like a doofus turning down that kind of profit margin, and the profit margin outweighs the joy of owning the book, sell. It is a much easier decision with dupes, but it works really well for me in all situations, and has almost completely erased any type of remorse - because you have already done the financial analysis and factored in your personal collecting ethos.

I did it in March of 2012 with all the big WD keys, got absolute top of the market on a 1, 2 and multiple 19s and have never looked back.

Unless the Flash showing up in Arrow is Wally West, I wouldn't see any reason for Flash Vol 2 to heat up beyond general interest in the Flash due to the movie and his appearance in Arrow. It seems most likely that the Flash in movies/TV will be Barry Allen since he is the one in the current comic series.

I would hold onto the keys (1, 53, 92, 164, 197) until Wally shows up again or some more concrete news pops up for the TV show and/or movie.

The TV Flash will be Barry Allen

"The television version of the Flash is first set to appear on the sophomore season of CW’s Arrow – which is itself a DC Comics franchise based on Green Arrow. CW president Mark Pedowitz explained, ”We plan to introduce the recurring character of Barry Allen, who is the Flash.” He continued, “We’re planning an origin story, and we’ll see how it goes. We do want to expand on the DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there.”

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/6-dc-comics-film-projects-ready-to-bust-out.html/2/

I have two #1 Thief of Thieves in NM-/NM would you keep or sell?

I think TOT is a hold or even a buy; prices are pretty low recently. I haven't heard what AMC is going to replace Mad Men with after its' final season, but I'm sure there will be a fair amount of fan crossover from Mad Men to Thief of Thieves.

I have two #1 Thief of Thieves in NM-/NM would you keep or sell?

Personally I keep stuff moving and put the $ elsewhere rather than have it sit on a shelf unrealised and doing nothing... am usually happier even if that just means just having the $ there waiting to be used when I need it. Hence I would sell.

Obviously this means that I lose out at times on making an extra $150+ on say PP #1 for example but by then I will have stocked up on Injustice #1 making more in the end with a bit more effort. As long as I am gaining then minimum risk medium reward is fine by me. Just bear in mind I apply this to all titles I flip to support the hobby so what I am saying is not specific to ToT.

When prices get to a point, based upon your initial investment, that you would feel like a doofus turning down that kind of profit margin, and the profit margin outweighs the joy of owning the book, sell. It is a much easier decision with dupes, but it works really well for me in all situations, and has almost completely erased any type of remorse - because you have already done the financial analysis and factored in your personal collecting ethos.

I did it in March of 2012 with all the big WD keys, got absolute top of the market on a 1, 2 and multiple 19s and have never looked back.

This

Agreed 100%