• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Know when to hold em, know when to sold em

67 posts in this topic

I have two #1 Thief of Thieves in NM-/NM would you keep or sell?

Personally I keep stuff moving and put the $ elsewhere rather than have it sit on a shelf unrealised and doing nothing... am usually happier even if that just means just having the $ there waiting to be used when I need it. Hence I would sell.

Obviously this means that I lose out at times on making an extra $150+ on say PP #1 for example but by then I will have stocked up on Injustice #1 making more in the end with a bit more effort. As long as I am gaining then minimum risk medium reward is fine by me. Just bear in mind I apply this to all titles I flip to support the hobby so what I am saying is not specific to ToT.

I sold ToT's at it's peak, but the fact that it's still hanging around, even minus the TV news is surprising. I had to drop it after 10 because it was just too tough to follow.

I have two #1 Thief of Thieves in NM-/NM would you keep or sell?

Personally I keep stuff moving and put the $ elsewhere rather than have it sit on a shelf unrealised and doing nothing... am usually happier even if that just means just having the $ there waiting to be used when I need it. Hence I would sell.

Obviously this means that I lose out at times on making an extra $150+ on say PP #1 for example but by then I will have stocked up on Injustice #1 making more in the end with a bit more effort. As long as I am gaining then minimum risk medium reward is fine by me. Just bear in mind I apply this to all titles I flip to support the hobby so what I am saying is not specific to ToT.

I sold ToT's at it's peak, but the fact that it's still hanging around, even minus the TV news is surprising. I had to drop it after 10 because it was just too tough to follow.

I read the first TPB and didnt really get to interested in it, I agree it is too hard to follow. The issues have since fallen into my lap and i have no idea what to do with them.

Unless the Flash showing up in Arrow is Wally West, I wouldn't see any reason for Flash Vol 2 to heat up beyond general interest in the Flash due to the movie and his appearance in Arrow. It seems most likely that the Flash in movies/TV will be Barry Allen since he is the one in the current comic series.

I would hold onto the keys (1, 53, 92, 164, 197) until Wally shows up again or some more concrete news pops up for the TV show and/or movie.

The TV Flash will be Barry Allen

"The television version of the Flash is first set to appear on the sophomore season of CW’s Arrow – which is itself a DC Comics franchise based on Green Arrow. CW president Mark Pedowitz explained, ”We plan to introduce the recurring character of Barry Allen, who is the Flash.” He continued, “We’re planning an origin story, and we’ll see how it goes. We do want to expand on the DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there.”

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/6-dc-comics-film-projects-ready-to-bust-out.html/2/

It would make sense to use both Barry Allen & Wally West for tv and movies. It would allow them to have two separate hero universes.

But the movie is going to be Barry Allen as well.

Personally, I still put stock on the flash volume 2: Wally West.

It has some of the better stories and first appearances of the Flash's best vilian: Professor Zoom aka Reverse Flash.

When prices get to a point, based upon your initial investment, that you would feel like a doofus turning down that kind of profit margin, and the profit margin outweighs the joy of owning the book, sell. It is a much easier decision with dupes, but it works really well for me in all situations, and has almost completely erased any type of remorse - because you have already done the financial analysis and factored in your personal collecting ethos.

I did it in March of 2012 with all the big WD keys, got absolute top of the market on a 1, 2 and multiple 19s and have never looked back.

I did this with WD #1 about the same time period; I bought a 9.8 off the boards for $600 a few years ago and sold it for $2k.

However, since I've been collecting for 20 years, there's absolutely no way I could or would amass my collection from scratch today. For example, I would not pay $3500 for a TMNT #1 CGC 9.2, or $1800 for an Avengers #4 CGC 7.5 today. But, since I picked them up years ago raw, I'm only into the TMNT for $550, and only $125 for the Avengers. :whatthe: Those are crazy profit margins, but I still wouldn't sell simply because I wouldn't replace them.

I sold my G.I. Joe #21 Silver Renegar CGC ss 9.8 for a nice chunk of change to a boardie. IIRC I had the only silver 9.8 SS on census at the time. Not sure if any have popped up recently. There are a few boardies that wanted the book after I sold it so there is def. a market out there for it.

If it was me I would get Mike Zeck to sign it later this month at WWOhio and try for a CGC SS 9.8.

Hey guys. I was speaking with Billy today about a book I had multiples on. I wanted some advice on whether I should sell my multiples or keep them for some more growth down the line. This seemed like a GREAT idea for a thread (hopefully this hasnt already been done or I'm gonna look like a complete idiota). Anybody who has books that they are on the fence about can post the title, issue and grade and get a yea/nay from the boardies as well as some sage advice (when to sell, least amount to sell it for, etc). The book I was speaking to Billy about was Spidey #1 Gold UPC 9.8 and we both agree that this book is a SELL, SELL, SELL once the new Spidey comes out.

Here's another. I have 2 copies of G.I. Joe #21 silver foil Renegar edition both at 9.6 (one is currently being pressed to a possible 9.8).

Sell or Dont Sell???

:cloud9: wtb: astonishing tales #25 in 9.9 ......oh there she is.... my pretty !

Opinions on Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth: I have amassed 48 Raw #1's, 7 CGC 9.8s, 1 9.6, 30 #1 2nd prints and numerous 2-4. And I am still accumulating. I personally think this is going to be a monster hit.

Wow, what a nice problem to have :grin: I wish I was in your shoes with Todd's. are you financially in the whole on these are these paid for ? If they are paid for I would hold them because I see a ton of potential . If it won't hurt you if they tank, I would hold them. If however it would deplete your comic money if this flops, I would get enough of your investment back so that you didn't lose sleep at night.

I have 3 sets and I'm keeping them.

Opinions on Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth: I have amassed 48 Raw #1's, 7 CGC 9.8s, 1 9.6, 30 #1 2nd prints and numerous 2-4. And I am still accumulating. I personally think this is going to be a monster hit.

Wow, what a nice problem to have :grin: I wish I was in your shoes with Todd's. are you financially in the whole on these are these paid for ? If they are paid for I would hold them because I see a ton of potential . If it won't hurt you if they tank, I would hold them. If however it would deplete your comic money if this flops, I would get enough of your investment back so that you didn't lose sleep at night.

Everything i have spent on them has come from profits on other books. Day Men and Last of us (comics i flipped early and quick have paid for the majority). My last 2 9.8's were courtesy of Catwoman 23. I am currently holding large amounts of Clone, Todd, Think Tank, Hoax Hunters, and The Strain. I have a nice Five Ghosts collection but that is for me not for selling.

Everything i have spent on them has come from profits on other books. Day Men and Last of us (comics i flipped early and quick have paid for the majority). My last 2 9.8's were courtesy of Catwoman 23. I am currently holding large amounts of Clone, Todd, Think Tank, Hoax Hunters, and The Strain. I have a nice Five Ghosts collection but that is for me not for selling.

If they hit big i am going to take my family on a nice vacation and buy CGC 5.5-7.0 copy of Daredevil #1 which i have always wanted.

The problem I would have with holding so many of one title is crossing the finish line i.e. breaking even or better as soon as possible whilst holding onto the best of them. Finding buyers for them if the price rises is going to get harder and it all takes time and effort. Buying is easy. Click click and it's delivered to your door. You can't flood the market so ask yourself how many months would it take to shift them all starting now if that is what you want to do, would you be even in 3 months if you did? If you think you will have made 5 bucks on each purchase does that leave you a lot of wiggle room for peaks and troughs? Food for thought. I can only get accumulating so much if you get busy with covering your cost whilst you are at it which doesn't seem to be the case. The more you buy from the secondary market the thinner you are spreading yourself.

You may even be single handedly fueling a lot of the low end speculation on Todd. :golfclap:

The 2nd prints are likely to hover at cover price for a long time and probably not go any higher. I think Andy certainly summed it up best regarding a certain other hot comic which still holds true for just about any other hot modern...

For those that bought low and sold high - I salute you.

For those still to buy - just think!

For those who are scraping money together - take your family out for a meal instead.

For those keeping some - I wish you well.

For those that bought low, sold high and purchased a nice early ASM 8.0 - 9.0, I salute you. You understand how this works.

This may be the weekend that the modern secondary market finally began to eat its own.

I really hope this was a one off - can anyone here really believe that 2 copies of this book represent the same value as a 9.8 TWD #19?

Or that 10 = a 9.0 DD #1?

Madness.

2c

If you look back through the older threads you may happen across the speculation contest that was happeing for a while... that was something I found impressive. Continually buying and selling without hoarding to amass more purchasing power. I was pretty amazed by what some people achieved in a very short space of time that would put most of us to shame if we ever took ourselves seriously.

Not spending out of pocket is a nice rule to live by if you can do it.

Edit: given your response above you should certainly not let me sell you too short if you are playing with profit... but if you have made a lot of money speculating on plenty of different titles (probably by buying online or in store, from the primary market, once you hear the hype alarm go off) why change the tried and trusted formula to one that relies on the success of one thing only?

Then I would hold them. I have the same problem with Clone and East of West. I keep buying lol

I'm pretty high on Five Ghosts also. That run is criminally cheap so I keep buying those too. Keep in mind I hold my stuff longer than most people. I wish you luck no matter what you do. It sounds like you are already ahead of the curve. Congrats (thumbs u

Garf, you, your facts, and your common sense keep giving me mixed emotions about my own strategy sometimes. I've never been a churn and burn guy but I definitely see the benefits of holding short and selling quickly. I do this with titles I don't follow that get hot quick. the stuff i love to read, I take my chances.

You and Andy make strong points. I liken the value of the old comics compared to modern versions to pulps compared to silver age books. I was told when I was a kid that pulps would always hold there value and silver age stuff was risky lol Looking back, the guys buying the pulps either quit chasing them, had all they wanted, or got too old to care. That's what I think is happening with silver and golden age stuff now. Still a huge market because we with the spending power wanted them. Next generation ? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Garf, you, your facts, and your common sense keep giving me mixed emotions about my own strategy sometimes. I've never been a churn and burn guy but I definitely see the benefits of holding short and selling quickly. I do this with titles I don't follow that get hot quick. the stuff i love to read, I take my chances.

You and Andy make strong points. I liken the value of the old comics compared to modern versions to pulps compared to silver age books. I was told when I was a kid that pulps would always hold there value and silver age stuff was risky lol Looking back, the guys buying the pulps either quit chasing them, had all they wanted, or got too old to care. That's what I think is happening with silver and golden age stuff now. Still a huge market because we with the spending power wanted them. Next generation ? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Nope. Even though I don't enjoy all of the stuff from that era it is still undeniably the foundation of the genre as we know it, which isn't something pulps can lay claim to. In the wider world outside of this modern board how many titles that have their roots in the silver and golden age are still outselling anything you have just mentioned without being over fueled by speculation?

Aquaman 22 DC 45,653 sales - How many people are speculating on this title?

I reckon a lot of the titles from the big two have more appeal with the younger generation anyway. I doubt a 12 year old me would enjoy anything like Revival or Clone. I'd probably be picking up Batman or X-men. Are the titles you keep buying ad-inf even past 12 issues? Are they in an intertwined universe that crosses over with fans from other titles? Do they rely on a single creative team alone? I am not taking away from the art or the story writing in a lot of moderns, just think that the nostalgia for older stuff won't die out so easily.

It still surprises me how much people expect of so many new books that are not even a year old... if they have all turned your head so fast that it almost fell off then what is to stop the same thing happening next year with the next batch of hot releases that gets everyone looking in the opposite direction?