• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Know when to hold em, know when to sold em

67 posts in this topic

It still surprises me how much people expect of so many new books that are not even a year old... if they have all turned your head so fast that it almost fell off then what is to stop the same thing happening next year with the next batch of hot releases that gets everyone looking in the opposite direction?

:golfclap::golfclap:

Hoarding moderns is really risk but nobody likes to talk about it here.

The fact that everything is dependent on the founding team is dangerous. What if they lose interest? What if one person runs into a health problem?(not uncommon) What is money issue pops ups? There is no corporate structure like the big 2 who makes sure the title keeps on coming regardless of what happens to the creative team.

Garf, you, your facts, and your common sense keep giving me mixed emotions about my own strategy sometimes. I've never been a churn and burn guy but I definitely see the benefits of holding short and selling quickly. I do this with titles I don't follow that get hot quick. the stuff i love to read, I take my chances.

You and Andy make strong points. I liken the value of the old comics compared to modern versions to pulps compared to silver age books. I was told when I was a kid that pulps would always hold there value and silver age stuff was risky lol Looking back, the guys buying the pulps either quit chasing them, had all they wanted, or got too old to care. That's what I think is happening with silver and golden age stuff now. Still a huge market because we with the spending power wanted them. Next generation ? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Nope. Even though I don't enjoy all of the stuff from that era it is still undeniably the foundation of the genre as we know it, which isn't something pulps can lay claim to. In the wider world outside of this modern board how many titles that have their roots in the silver and golden age are still outselling anything you have just mentioned without being over fueled by speculation?

Aquaman 22 DC 45,653 sales - How many people are speculating on this title?

I reckon a lot of the titles from the big two have more appeal with the younger generation anyway. I doubt a 12 year old me would enjoy anything like Revival or Clone. I'd probably be picking up Batman or X-men. Are the titles you keep buying ad-inf even past 12 issues? Are they in an intertwined universe that crosses over with fans from other titles? Do they rely on a single creative team alone? I am not taking away from the art or the story writing in a lot of moderns, just think that the nostalgia for older stuff won't die out so easily.

It still surprises me how much people expect of so many new books that are not even a year old... if they have all turned your head so fast that it almost fell off then what is to stop the same thing happening next year with the next batch of hot releases that gets everyone looking in the opposite direction?

I'm not speculating the demise of the Marvel or DC.i just think there is room for more and while you and I thought the same way at 12 yo, my kids amd their friendsdon't follow the capes thing the way you and I did/do. I was trying to illustrate the point that this generation might go for a little more mature subject matter than we did.

I like the old stuff as much as anybody. I also am open to the new. I do believe this is one of those perfect storms in time right now in comics. It happens from time to time in everything.

Some examples Ali, Frazier, and Foreman seemed like the pinnacle of boxing for years and then Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, and the bunch came along and another great time was enjoyed by all.

How about Elvis, the Beatles, Aerosmith, U2 , Nirvana.....we could stop at Elvis and say that's the end but we would have missed out on the new stuff that turned our heads.

I don't think anybody is speculating on Aquaman but I know people who buy titles because they don't want breaks in their runs. I was hooked on Conan and the Uncanny X-men the first time I read them. Same with The Dark Knight Returns and the Watchmen and the Authority and Plantary and invincible and TWD And EastofWest.

The young people working for me don't buy superhero stuff regardless of how many times I tell them they are missing out. They read East of West and the Walking Dead and stuff called Berserker or Berserk that is manga stuff that you have to read backwards literally. One doesn't like Superman because he's too perfect lol

To my point, I wouldn't pay a lot for newer stuff but it is happening and it no longer surprises me that an issue of Peter Panzerfaust or a few issues of Saga bring as much or more than Miller's run on Daredevil or Wolverine 1-189.

:golfclap::golfclap:

Hoarding moderns is really risk but nobody likes to talk about it here.

The fact that everything is dependent on the founding team is dangerous. What if they lose interest? What if one person runs into a health problem?(not uncommon) What is money issue pops ups? There is no corporate structure like the big 2 who makes sure the title keeps on coming regardless of what happens to the creative team.

Many valid points. The other side of the coin is if you like a character in a creator owned book, you don't have to worry about major changes. The big 2 are lazy IMO. Not selling enough Barry Allen Flash comics, bring in Wally West, oops, bring Barry back. Nick Fury ? How about a color change to match Hollywoods vision. Steranko who ? How about a gay Green Lantern so that we are more inclusive ? Kill somebody, make a lot of money. Bring somebody back to life. Make more money lol

I could go on and on but I would like it more if instead of reinventing old characters they would try to create some new ones. Image did it with Invicible so I think Marvel and DC should be up to the tasks.

I like most comics but I am thankful that we have legitimate competion for the big 2.

Opinions on Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth: I have amassed 48 Raw #1's, 7 CGC 9.8s, 1 9.6, 30 #1 2nd prints and numerous 2-4. And I am still accumulating. I personally think this is going to be a monster hit.

Wow, what a nice problem to have :grin: I wish I was in your shoes with Todd's. are you financially in the whole on these are these paid for ? If they are paid for I would hold them because I see a ton of potential . If it won't hurt you if they tank, I would hold them. If however it would deplete your comic money if this flops, I would get enough of your investment back so that you didn't lose sleep at night.

I have 3 sets and I'm keeping them.

Everything i have spent on them has come from profits on other books. Day Men and Last of us (comics i flipped early and quick have paid for the majority). My last 2 9.8's were courtesy of Catwoman 23. I am currently holding large amounts of Clone, Todd, Think Tank, Hoax Hunters, and The Strain. I have a nice Five Ghosts collection but that is for me not for selling.

If they hit big i am going to take my family on a nice vacation and buy CGC 5.5-7.0 copy of Daredevil #1 which i have always wanted.

I can't ever see that happening. Good luck with it but that's pretty ambitious...

Garf, you, your facts, and your common sense keep giving me mixed emotions about my own strategy sometimes. I've never been a churn and burn guy but I definitely see the benefits of holding short and selling quickly. I do this with titles I don't follow that get hot quick. the stuff i love to read, I take my chances.

You and Andy make strong points. I liken the value of the old comics compared to modern versions to pulps compared to silver age books. I was told when I was a kid that pulps would always hold there value and silver age stuff was risky lol Looking back, the guys buying the pulps either quit chasing them, had all they wanted, or got too old to care. That's what I think is happening with silver and golden age stuff now. Still a huge market because we with the spending power wanted them. Next generation ? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Nope. Even though I don't enjoy all of the stuff from that era it is still undeniably the foundation of the genre as we know it, which isn't something pulps can lay claim to. In the wider world outside of this modern board how many titles that have their roots in the silver and golden age are still outselling anything you have just mentioned without being over fueled by speculation?

I reckon a lot of the titles from the big two have more appeal with the younger generation anyway. I doubt a 12 year old me would enjoy anything like Revival or Clone. I'd probably be picking up Batman or X-men. Are the titles you keep buying ad-inf even past 12 issues? Are they in an intertwined universe that crosses over with fans from other titles? Do they rely on a single creative team alone? I am not taking away from the art or the story writing in a lot of moderns, just think that the nostalgia for older stuff won't die out so easily.

I'm not speculating the demise of the Marvel or DC.i just think there is room for more and while you and I thought the same way at 12 yo, my kids amd their friendsdon't follow the capes thing the way you and I did/do. I was trying to illustrate the point that this generation might go for a little more mature subject matter than we did.

I like the old stuff as much as anybody. I also am open to the new. I do believe this is one of those perfect storms in time right now in comics. It happens from time to time in everything.

Some examples Ali, Frazier, and Foreman seemed like the pinnacle of boxing for years and then Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, and the bunch came along and another great time was enjoyed by all.

How about Elvis, the Beatles, Aerosmith, U2 , Nirvana.....we could stop at Elvis and say that's the end but we would have missed out on the new stuff that turned our heads.

I don't think anybody is speculating on Aquaman but I know people who buy titles because they don't want breaks in their runs. I was hooked on Conan and the Uncanny X-men the first time I read them. Same with The Dark Knight Returns and the Watchmen and the Authority and Plantary and invincible and TWD And EastofWest.

The young people working for me don't buy superhero stuff regardless of how many times I tell them they are missing out. They read East of West and the Walking Dead and stuff called Berserker or Berserk that is manga stuff that you have to read backwards literally. One doesn't like Superman because he's too perfect lol

To my point, I wouldn't pay a lot for newer stuff but it is happening and it no longer surprises me that an issue of Peter Panzerfaust or a few issues of Saga bring as much or more than Miller's run on Daredevil or Wolverine 1-189.

Interesting thoughts. I do still see parallels with the new stuff and the indie comics of the 80's. Much loved by their generation but now dust in the wind to most others. Quite a few lived on for 50+ or 70+ issues during their time.

The ones that stand the stronger chance of breaking away are the ones that will live on in trades and be seen in several top 100 lists in years to come... but then how many people on here have never gotten around to reading Sandman or Preacher? The 9.8's are not going to be a hard find either. I accept that the new stuff is hugely popular right now, not as printed and maybe has been optioned. Maybe I am enjoying playing devil's advocate here a bit too much.

We can't tell people what or how to flip. We can only ask questions and people kinda have to look for their own answers. As long as the hobby is self funding I am happy.

Go get me a crystal ball.

Interesting thoughts. I do still see parallels with the new stuff and the indie comics of the 80's. Much loved by their generation but now dust in the wind to most others. Quite a few lived on for 50+ or 70+ issues during their time.

The ones that stand the stronger chance of breaking away are the ones that will live on in trades and be seen in several top 100 lists in years to come... but then how many people on here have never gotten around to reading Sandman or Preacher? The 9.8's are not going to be a hard find either. I accept that the new stuff is hugely popular right now, not as printed and maybe has been optioned. Maybe I am enjoying playing devil's advocate here a bit too much.

We can't tell people what or how to flip. We can only ask questions and people kinda have to look for their own answers. As long as the hobby is self funding I am happy.

Go get me a crystal ball.

You are right on all counts. I think both of us were playing a little devil's advocate on this one. I always enjoy your comments because they are well thought out and have the strength of experience and wisdom behind them. I think most of us this board get to read and collect our books cheaply or at no cost at all. The knowledge shared by others here and elsewhere has helped make building my collection much easier.

I don't have a crystal ball but might I interest you in a one owner, seldom used Magic 8-Ball lol

I think most of us this board get to read and collect our books cheaply or at no cost at all. The knowledge shared by others here and elsewhere has helped make building my collection much easier.

I wish this was the case for me but it wasn't. I lost a bit of $$ by believing in too much hype over some of the books like Helheim and Uber. I believe I am not the only one and that is why I appreciate balancing the hype with reality.

Most modern books will fade over time, not becoming stronger as some of the board would lead beginners to believe. Only a few titles can stand the test of time and it is not easy to pick these up when there is so much hype for almost every new release.

I think most of us this board get to read and collect our books cheaply or at no cost at all. The knowledge shared by others here and elsewhere has helped make building my collection much easier.

I wish this was the case for me but it wasn't. I lost a bit of $$ by believing in too much hype over some of the books like Helheim and Uber. I believe I am not the only one and that is why I appreciate balancing the hype with reality.

Most modern books will fade over time, not becoming stronger as some of the board would lead beginners to believe. Only a few titles can stand the test of time and it is not easy to pick these up when there is so much hype for almost every new release.

You only lose money when you sell. BTW I hope when Helheim comes back more readers are aboard cause its one comic that stirs the inner 12 year old in me.

You only lose money when you sell. BTW I hope when Helheim comes back more readers are aboard cause its one comic that stirs the inner 12 year old in me.

I didn't lose money on either but I didn't make any yet either. I sold some Über stuff early on and can do no less than make a little. Helheim I sold just enough to cover expenses. I'm holding some because like Nate, I still believe it will have a resurgence and I would guess that I'm in the minority.

Spreads and I discussed this same thing somewhere on the boards a week or two ago. I think I'm right in saying that his philosophy is to take the sure thing quick profit. Mine is more take enough that the risk is nil and let the rest ride. I believe I'm right in saying, neither of us bet the farm on comics. This isn't my job. I try to buy and sell enough to pay for my collection.

I guess the main thing for me is this. I don't expect every book I buy to make money. I get excited when I read a great book and tell people about it. Sometimes they love it and other times they don't. I do the same with movies ( just watched and liked Now You See Me A few minutes ago), cars, songs, etc. I don't expect everybody to risk anything on it. I like sharing with like minded people.

I will offer this advice. Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed regardless of what it's value is to others. Never gamble more than your willing to lose. Even precious metals fluctuate in value from time to time. There are no sure things except death and taxes which reminds me of another movie I like, Meet Joe Black . I hope you have better luck going forward.

I will offer this advice. Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed regardless of what it's value is to others. Never gamble more than your willing to lose.

So true and that is what I am doing now. I will never listen to the hype (3D covers for example) and just buy the comics that I like to collect, AFTER i read them on my app.

That is for moderns of course.

For oldies, I just buying the characters that I grow up with and liked. Carnage for example (thumbs u

I will offer this advice. Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed regardless of what it's value is to others. Never gamble more than your willing to lose.

So true and that is what I am doing now. I will never listen to the hype (3D covers for example) and just buy the comics that I like to collect, AFTER i read them on my app.

For oldies, I just buying the characters that I grow up with and liked. Carnage for example (thumbs u

I keep hearing about people buying digital and I guess that could be the direction the industry wants to take us in. Are you getting your comics a lot cheaper on the app ?

On the older stuff, I'm doing the same. I keep buying sets of Wolverine 1-4 under $60 which is a lot less than I was getting for them 10 years ago. I'm also buying Wolverine 1-189 for $250 and less on a regular basis in 10% VF+/NM- to NM/NM+. They take up a little space but I can't pass up a deal. This is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-VOL-1-1-189-ALL-ISSUES-COMPLETE-RUN-/141045108201?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d6f18de9

You can't buy them this cheap all of the time but when you do.... :grin:

I keep hearing about people buying digital and I guess that could be the direction the industry wants to take us in. Are you getting your comics a lot cheaper on the app ?

On the older stuff, I'm doing the same. I keep buying sets of Wolverine 1-4 under $60 which is a lot less than I was getting for them 10 years ago. I'm also buying Wolverine 1-189 for $250 and less on a regular basis in 10% VF+/NM- to NM/NM+. They take up a little space but I can't pass up a deal. This is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-VOL-1-1-189-ALL-ISSUES-COMPLETE-RUN-/141045108201?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d6f18de9

That is a good deal, yet it make me sad, I was about to sell my Wolvie run...might as well keep it now :(

They don't always go that low. Ask what you want, you might get it. :grin:

That is a good deal, yet it make me sad, I was about to sell my Wolvie run...might as well keep it now :(

you know you can sell it to The Authority avoiding Ebay fee :devil:

I didn't lose money on either but I didn't make any yet either. I sold some Über stuff early on and can do no less than make a little. Helheim I sold just enough to cover expenses. I'm holding some because like Nate, I still believe it will have a resurgence and I would guess that I'm in the minority.

Spreads and I discussed this same thing somewhere on the boards a week or two ago. I think I'm right in saying that his philosophy is to take the sure thing quick profit. Mine is more take enough that the risk is nil and let the rest ride. I believe I'm right in saying, neither of us bet the farm on comics. This isn't my job. I try to buy and sell enough to pay for my collection.

I guess the main thing for me is this. I don't expect every book I buy to make money. I get excited when I read a great book and tell people about it. Sometimes they love it and other times they don't. I do the same with movies ( just watched and liked Now You See Me A few minutes ago), cars, songs, etc. I don't expect everybody to risk anything on it. I like sharing with like minded people.

I will offer this advice. Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed regardless of what it's value is to others. Never gamble more than your willing to lose. Even precious metals fluctuate in value from time to time. There are no sure things except death and taxes which reminds me of another movie I like, Meet Joe Black . I hope you have better luck going forward.

I like all this above and will add just this. Begin to realize that some posters on here are really full of :censored:. They post in a thread because they are highly invested in that book and when I say highly I mean in some cases they they might have bought 50 to 100 copies of something. They don't care about sharing a book or talking about how good a read it is. Begin to watch for this after awhile its pretty apparent.