• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have MU and Comixology?

24 posts in this topic

If so, can you use your Marvel Unlimited account to read comics via Comixology?

The OCD in me is put off by the idea of having more than one app to read digital books!!

I've trawled through the MU faq's and I suspect the answer is no, you need separate accounts - purely because they don't make a reference to the fact that you can. But I thought I'd ask to confirm.

Two different apps. You can get the newest issues with Comixology but you will need to wait 6 months before the same issue shows up on MU.

Comixology is more than just Marvel for you can also download DC, Dark Horse, Image etc. Also once you buy an issue it's your copy, just like on iTunes.

With MU you can read anything they have listed for one yearly price. Now you can "download" up to 6 issues and read them offline, but you never own them. Think of it as borrowing a book from the library.

I suggest that you just download both apps, they accomplish the same function, allowing you to read comics, but they do it in different ways.

Thanks Zod.

I'm a long-time Comixology user... but had been put off a lot of Marvel titles due to their pricing.

Under this model I think I'll give MU a miss.

That said, just a point of clarification, with Comixology, I'm 99.9% sure that it is not your copy once you've paid for it. Instead, it is also like a library. Only you don't return the book until the service goes under.

I honestly would not skip MU. It is a very solid service. Don't think of it as a library, think of it as netflix for comics. They have about 60% of their entire back catalog on the app and you can "stream" as much as you want a month. The 6 comics he was referring to is how many you can locally cache at one time for times when you don't have internet access (like when you are on a flight or stuck in the NYC subway) But once you have internet access again you can just change the 6 you have cached. As long as you are connected to the net you just keep reading books. I read about 100 books a month and they add new books every month. Its 70 bucks a year, meaning it costs you 5.84 a month.

I honestly would not skip MU. It is a very solid service. Don't think of it as a library, think of it as netflix for comics. They have about 60% of their entire back catalog on the app and you can "stream" as much as you want a month. The 6 comics he was referring to is how many you can locally cache at one time for times when you don't have internet access (like when you are on a flight or stuck in the NYC subway) But once you have internet access again you can just change the 6 you have cached. As long as you are connected to the net you just keep reading books. I read about 100 books a month and they add new books every month. Its 70 bucks a year, meaning it costs you 5.84 a month.

Yeah, I agree, I really like MU, and they have added significantly to the vintage catalog in the few months that I've had it. Like a lot of people here, I've got quite a bit of old Marvel stuff in 2-3 print versions, but it's amazing to be able to look back through the 60s and 70s catalog with this level of convenience. Honestly, I think most people here would love it.

Just to clarify:

Comixology - you buy individual books

Marvel Unlimited - you pay an annual subscription and can read everything they have

In both cases, you do NOT "own" the comics. You can read them on the relevant platform, but that's it. You don't get to download them and keep them on your computer forever. Now, in theory there's no reason that the books you buy (Comixology) or subscribe to read (MU) should not remain online forever, but you are, as someone said, effectively paying a library fee (just one with no return date). It's the same as Kindle. Amazon could, technically, wipe your library (e.g. if you breached their terms of service).

MU is great because it has pretty much every modern Marvel title older than 6 months, as well as a LOT of older stuff - and more is being added all the time. The annual subscription rate is extremely cost effective on a per-book basis if you read a lot. It's great if you're not bothered about being bang up to date. I would highly recommend subscribing.

The downer is that the actual reading software is not as good as Comixology, although it's getting better.

There is a separate Marvel app, which is effectively the same as Comixology, except that it only has Marvel comics (at the same price as Comixology). You can sync that app so that comics you buy there can be read on Comixology. At the moment, I believe it is not possible to do that with Marvel Unlimited.

Does one have to have an iPad for using these services? I thought they were available to anyone with internet, whether it be on a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop.

I don't use these services myself, so as always, I could be mistaken.

-slym

I've tried both and they are both good. Marvel will give you more for your $ to read but Comixology is a lot more fun to flip through.

However, it is hard to justify paying either since there are so many other sources out there :whistle:

They are both worth it just to try.

You do own you comics from comixology. I can download any of the issues that i have purchased and save them to my ipad/computer. Also if I get a new ipad i can download them again.

That being said i only have books that cost 99 cents or free so if something happened and comixology disappeared I wouldn't be upset.

Overall the MU app is better. Some titles i just want read but have no desire to own. I can say i have read more Marvel comics in the past 5 months than the previous 5 year due to this app. The only thing i want now is a DC app that does the same thing.

You do own you comics from comixology. I can download any of the issues that i have purchased and save them to my ipad/computer. Also if I get a new ipad i can download them again.

That being said i only have books that cost 99 cents or free so if something happened and comixology disappeared I wouldn't be upset.

Overall the MU app is better. Some titles i just want read but have no desire to own. I can say i have read more Marvel comics in the past 5 months than the previous 5 year due to this app. The only thing i want now is a DC app that does the same thing.

You don't own them. Check out THIS ARTICLE or THIS ONE. Extract from the first one:

The current model for most digital comics providers is to offer access to files through a proprietary reader available through their apps or websites. It’s essentially a leasing arrangement, granting temporary access with an open-ended term limit. You can “download” a local copy, but this isn’t a true download. The file is returned to the provider’s cloud storage after a short period of inactivity, although access remains through your library on the reader.

Like I said, this is essentially the same as Kindle. You don't own the books there either - if Amazon wants to, it can prevent your device from accessing the books you have "bought" this happened recently with someone whose whole library was wiped because she breached their Ts and Cs. There was a big uproar but it turned out to be perfectly legitimate (if not very well explained by Amazon to begin with).

Does one have to have an iPad for using these services? I thought they were available to anyone with internet, whether it be on a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop.

:shrug:

-slym

You don't own them. Check out THIS ARTICLE or THIS ONE. Extract from the first one:

The current model for most digital comics providers is to offer access to files through a proprietary reader available through their apps or websites. It’s essentially a leasing arrangement, granting temporary access with an open-ended term limit. You can “download” a local copy, but this isn’t a true download. The file is returned to the provider’s cloud storage after a short period of inactivity, although access remains through your library on the reader.

Like I said, this is essentially the same as Kindle. You don't own the books there either - if Amazon wants to, it can prevent your device from accessing the books you have "bought" this happened recently with someone whose whole library was wiped because she breached their Ts and Cs. There was a big uproar but it turned out to be perfectly legitimate (if not very well explained by Amazon to begin with).

I know that the books that i have can go away at any time and you only "own" a copy in a digital sense, but something drastic would have to happen for the issues to disappear. That is why I only go for 99 cent and free books. If the app disappeared tomorrow i wouldn't be upset, I don't have that much money into it. I would be more upset if MU were to go away than Comixology.

Now if I really like something that i have read off of Comixology i will buy the hard copy. The new title Adventures of Superman was free on the app so I downloaded it and liked it. The next time i was at the comic shop i purchased the first and second issue of the title. That way i know I own it and can share it if I like.

:shrug:

-slym

No Slym, you don't have to have an iPad. Once you have an account you can log in on multiple devices. The iPad experience is by far the best, but desktop reading is perfectly adequate, especially if you have a big monitor.