• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have MU and Comixology?

24 posts in this topic

You do own you comics from comixology. I can download any of the issues that i have purchased and save them to my ipad/computer. Also if I get a new ipad i can download them again.

That being said i only have books that cost 99 cents or free so if something happened and comixology disappeared I wouldn't be upset.

Overall the MU app is better. Some titles i just want read but have no desire to own. I can say i have read more Marvel comics in the past 5 months than the previous 5 year due to this app. The only thing i want now is a DC app that does the same thing.

You don't own them. Check out THIS ARTICLE or THIS ONE. Extract from the first one:

The current model for most digital comics providers is to offer access to files through a proprietary reader available through their apps or websites. It’s essentially a leasing arrangement, granting temporary access with an open-ended term limit. You can “download” a local copy, but this isn’t a true download. The file is returned to the provider’s cloud storage after a short period of inactivity, although access remains through your library on the reader.

Like I said, this is essentially the same as Kindle. You don't own the books there either - if Amazon wants to, it can prevent your device from accessing the books you have "bought" this happened recently with someone whose whole library was wiped because she breached their Ts and Cs. There was a big uproar but it turned out to be perfectly legitimate (if not very well explained by Amazon to begin with).

I know that the books that i have can go away at any time and you only "own" a copy in a digital sense, but something drastic would have to happen for the issues to disappear. That is why I only go for 99 cent and free books. If the app disappeared tomorrow i wouldn't be upset, I don't have that much money into it. I would be more upset if MU were to go away than Comixology.

Now if I really like something that i have read off of Comixology i will buy the hard copy. The new title Adventures of Superman was free on the app so I downloaded it and liked it. The next time i was at the comic shop i purchased the first and second issue of the title. That way i know I own it and can share it if I like.

Yep, I agree - the likelihood of them disappearing once bought is very slim.

I started using it in exactly the same way as you say - to check out new titles as a trial run before deciding if I want the floppies. To be honest though, I'm just reading more and more digitally now.

The trouble with buying a hard copies that you don't want to keep in your permanent collection is that you either have to sell them (takes time and effort and you're lucky to get your money back), chuck them or give them away, or keep them and have piles of comics that you don't know what to do with hanging around the house.

Does one have to have an iPad for using these services? I thought they were available to anyone with internet, whether it be on a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop.

I don't use these services myself, so as always, I could be mistaken.

:shrug:

No Slym, you don't have to have an iPad. Once you have an account you can log in on multiple devices. The iPad experience is by far the best, but desktop reading is perfectly adequate, especially if you have a big monitor.

Thank you for the answer!

:)

-slym

The trouble with buying a hard copies that you don't want to keep in your permanent collection is that you either have to sell them (takes time and effort and you're lucky to get your money back), chuck them or give them away, or keep them and have piles of comics that you don't know what to do with hanging around the house.

Huge part of the reason I switched to digital for current issues. I've loving reading them digitally, saving money, saving space, saving future hassle.

While digital comics are avilable on several platforms, they're best suited for tablet apps. Phone screens are too small, and if you're reading them on a desktop computer you're missing the best part about digital comics; the convenience. A tablet you can read just like a normal comic, while lounging on the couch, lying in bed, sitting on a plane, etc. Something you can't do with a computer.

I actually prefer reading comics digitally now, for a couple of reasons. On my HD resolution ipad, the scans and colors look gorgeous and I can even zoom in to enjoy the finer details in a way that putting your nose to paper can't match. I'm also a bit OCD about damaging any comic books, so if I'm reading a paperback I'll avoid bending the pages too much to avoid spine damage, etc. None of that kind of hassle with digital comics.

Of course there's also the fact that digital comics take up no space at all, that you have hundreds of comics at your fingertips whenever you bring your tablet with you, and that since I live in Norway I can get digital copies much faster and cheaper than paper copies.