• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign Comics - Donald Duck

41 posts in this topic

Although I'm mainly an Archie collector, I've been collecting Mexican comics as well. I study spanish so I figured what better way to practice than combining studying with my favorite hobby.

I bought a bunch of hardbound 1950s Mexican comics recently and I have two questions.

1-I can't find the US equivalent for the "Historietas de Walt Disney" comic cover shown. It's dated 1957 but the artwork looks older. All I have to go by is the Gerber books and I didn't find it. I may have just missed it but I thought a serious duck collector might recognize it right away.

cuentos-donald.JPG

2-Another comic is Donald's "Lost in the Andes" (Perdidos en los Andes). It's from 1953 and is 32 pages. The story runs the entire length of the comic. I know the US version was published about 1949. Was it a 32 page story or longer? I was thinking that the 1949 book would be 52 pages but I can't confirm how long the story was in the US verion.

cuentos-andes.JPG

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the pictures not being great. Since the books are permanently bound, it's harder to get good images.

That cover is partially redrawn...original is published in 1945, it's wdcs 57.

14051003003o.jpg

my Finnish copy, with same cover.

AA5-54.jpg

- Lost in the Andes story is 32 pages long. Here's great website about Barks comics http://www.barksbase.de/english/ go to work- comics - four color etc.

damn your comics look good, love that Lost in the Andes cover

were they expensive?

gossip.gif...sell them to me cloud9.gif

Thanks for the info! The partially redrawn cover explains why Mickey and Goofy look more modern than Donald. There's at least one other that I know is redrawn that I need to post. Goofy replaces Donald on the cover.

The comics are mostly in incredible condition. The flaw is that they are bound and therefore trimmed somewhat and of course, can't be separated without damage. I have been able to buy a number of these volumes. The binding is very professional. It looks like it was someone's personal condition. Although it would be nice if they were separate, they probably would not have survived in such nice shape otherwise.

There's a mix of comics included but mostly all are humor like Archie, Little Lulu, Disney books, and a little too much Tom & Jerry. The Disney comics for the most part are grouped together in volumes. For the most part, I have been paying what averages out to be $8 to $10 per issue because the guy is pricing each volume relative to its age and contents.

Along with many issues of Cuentos de Disney and Historietas de Disney, there are spanish versions of a number of the dell giants like some of the Christmas and vacation parades and some of the Disneyland themed books.

Here are some others. The first is redrawn from WDC&S #68. Goofy takes Donald's place on the Mexican issue:

mx-cuentos-moose.JPG

Here is the WDC&S #71 cover:

mx-cuentos-violin.JPG

Here is an Uncle Scrooge:

mx-ricotio.JPG

Now for some Archie issues. These are from the bound volumes...

mx-archie11r.JPG

mx-archi15b.JPG

mx-archi17.JPG

Here is Archi #4. Apparently the original Pep cover art was a little to risque so it was redone for Mexico:

mx-archie04.JPG

archi04-pep82.JPG

Here is Captain Pureheart

mx-archi167.JPG

And the Archies Band:

mx-archi316.JPG

And finally a 1958 annual - (Repro of Archie Annual #9). This one is not perfect but these are so tough to find that it doesn't matter.

mx-archi-anuario58.JPG

There are other titles such as Blondie, Little Lulu, a couple of great Millie the Model covers, one of which is probably unique to Mexico.

I'll save those for another time.

Anybody know any good sources for foreign comics? I`d like to find some in german so I can brush up on my language skill. I`ve never seen any official price guide data for foreign books.Wonder how much of a hit they take in translation?hmmm....dare I say it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif [$] Lost in Translation.

Some more hardbound comics from Mexico...

This Superman comic is actually from a US issue of Superboy. Even though it is Superboy, he is referred to as Superman in the stories.

1superman.JPG

This issue of Superman y Sus Amigos is a US Jimmie Olsen.

1superman-jaime.jpg

This Millie the Model issue appears to use a splash page for the cover art. Not sure if this was an actual cover in the US:

1millie1.JPG

1milliesplash.jpg

Homer the Happy Ghost was even published. This issue is written by Stan Lee with art by Dan DeCarlo

1homer.JPG

Little Lulu and Tubby appeared to be popular in Mexico also. Here is a 1958 annual:

1lulu1958ann.JPG

Another Archie issue:

1archie20.JPG

Another Cuentos de Disney with Mickey

1cuentos-mickeymagic.JPG

Blondie and Dagwood

mx-blondie.JPG

Since the comics were hardbound, covers that were predominately black survived in great shape

1cuentosgrandma.JPG

More to follow:

These comics are all 1959 or older..

1959 Archie Annual

2aannual.JPG

Millie the Model with Dan DeCarlo cover

2millie2.JPG

Donald boxing a kangaroo

2historietas-kangaroo.JPG

Donald's campfire - with an unblemished, black backgroun

2historietas-campfire.JPG

A Little Lulu 100 page giant size comic

2lulu1957.JPG

Little Lulu swimming. Is this GGA?

2lulu-swim.JPG

Well, the comics from Mexico were fun while they lasted. I ended up with 11 hardbound volumes with most comics being from 1956-1958 but some back to 1952. The person that located them has not been able to find any more for now.

The nice part is that out of about 150 comics, about half are Disney, made up of Donald, Mickey, and Uncle Scrooge with quite a lot of Barks art.

Here are some more covers for those of you that might enjoy them.

2historietas-christmas.JPG1cuentos-mickeymagic.JPG

1cuentos-pool.JPG

2cuentos-albumdonald.JPG

2cuentos-albumdonald2.JPG

2cuentos-diary.JPG

2cuentos-espectaculo.JPG

2cuentos-feeding.JPG

2cuentos-fishhook.JPG2cuentos-innertube.JPG

2historietas-bday.JPG

2historietas-christmas1.jpg

2historietas-umbrella.JPG

Also, for the person asking where to buy foreign comics, ebay is a good source but there is also mercadolibre.com that covers all of South America. To really have a better chance with ebay, you need to search in the specific countries they operate in such as ebay.de or ebay.fr or ebay.es for Germany, France, or Spain. To do so, you need to know the language because those pages are not in english. You will find listings that do not appear on ebay in the U.S. The U.S. ebay has international listings but only those written in english.

2sinfonias.JPG

2frontierland.JPG