• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign Comics - Donald Duck

41 posts in this topic

I received these Donald Duck comics from Chile but they were published in Argentina. The indicia indicates that they are Disney copyrighted publications but they are full of adventure characters that I have never seen plus well known Disney characters. The comic is a weekly and stories are serialized so there are no complete stories inside. The contents are a mix of full color or 2 tone. There is also a letters to Donald section.

The Donald covers are nice...

z-pato-56-1945.JPG

z-pato-61-1945.JPG

z-pato-95-1946.JPG

z-pato-129-1946.JPG

z-pato-152-1947.JPG

There were probably not many comics showing Donald playing soccer in the 1940s.

wow... Very nice books. Those are oldest non-US Disney comics I have seen. They predate all European publications. (not counting early Italian tabloids)

I haven't seen these covers before either and I believe they are made by local artists.

Based on the numbering and the cover dates, it looks like the first issue would have been dated October 24, 1944. I think the material being reprinted may be from Dell/Western publications including the non-Disney characters. The issues are the standard 32 page plus cover format like US comics (36 total pages). The stories continue from issue to issue with only 2 pages of a story printed in each issue. The Donald and Mickey Mouse stories are in full color. Mickey only has 2 pages in each issue but there are 4 or 5 pages of Donald Duck. Usually 2 pages for each of 2 different stories and then a couple of 1/2 page jokes. I think that after the Disney films Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, Donald became very popular in South America, much more so than Mickey so I guess that explains why he is the featured character.

The soccer cover doesn't relate to a Donald story. The characters shown behind Donald on that issue are featured in a separate story which does not include Donald. I don't recognize these characters. They look as if they might have been created in South America, probably Argentina or Mexico. If the cover art was created in Argentina, the artist definitely captured the Disney style well.

I really didn't know what to expect when I bought these as I had only seen the cover with Donald planting the seeds. Since there are no complete stories in each issue, they are not as much fun in that respect, but the covers make them worthwhile.

I stumbled across the Pato Donald books accidentally. I sometimes check the mercadolibre.com website for spanish comics. It is an ebay affiliate in South America. A seller in Chile offered the books for sale. The $10,000 price for each one scared me a little until I saw that in US dollars, it was only $17 each. The problem buying from mercadolibre.com is you normally have to wire money through Western Union and there is not much recourse if there is a problem, except that you can leave negative feedback. I have only had about 8-10 transactions but all the sellers have been very helpful and honest.

Even though they mention a Disney copyright, the 1945 issues have 1 page in each one of the Human Torch (in black and white.) I need to scan some interior pages and post them. The Donald and Mickey contents are of course older Dell reprints.

I ran across more photos of the hardbound Mexican comic books I bought that I never posted.

They might not be super rare, but these copies are so perfect looking. Most all are from the 1957-1959 range. Only a few show handling wear. Granted, binding does ruin a comic book in some respects. On the other hand, they likely wouldn't have survived in such perfect looking condition had they not been bound. I have found some other books that were bound like this but none have matched the paper quality and color of these. Having comics bound seemed to be a fairly common practice in Spanish speaking countries, at least in the 50s and 60s.

2cuentos-mixer.JPG

2cuentos-tuba.jpg

1fantasilandia.JPG

2historietas-baseball.JPG

2historietas-binocs.JPG

2historietas-kite.JPG

2historietas-rockinghorse.JPG

2patodonald-bath.JPG

2tio-hourglass.JPG

2tio-moneysort.JPG

I had never read Little Lulu before. Unfortunately, after reading these, I became hooked. The unfortunate part is not liking them, it's wanting to spend money on more of them.

1lulu-dishes.JPG

1lulu-goma.JPG

2luluhike.jpg

1lulu-remate.JPG

1lulu-stamps.JPG

1tubby-scale.JPG

2blondie2.JPG

2blondie3.JPG

2bugschristmas.JPG

Dear friends,

This oldish thread has just been brought to my attention. I'm writing here as a representative of I.N.D.U.C.K.S., a free association of madmen who'd been indexing Disney comics from the world over for the past 15 years or so (detailed info at http://inducks.org/).

(Obviously enough, most of us are collectors as well... smile.gif )

As far as early publications of Disney stuff, one of the few "grey zones" remaining in our database is indeed that of 40s and 50s Southamerican comics, with special regard to Argentinian ones, which published original material by local authors as well as American stuff.

I was then wondering if lotemo, or any other collector who might happen to have other early Southamerican Disney publications, of course, could be so kind as to help us with the indexing of their material?

Please PM me if you're interested, so we could exchange emails and further explanations.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Eta Beta

Hello Old Skool!

If you are intersted in German Comics you should try it on ebay.de! (search: Williams Marvel Comics) My favorite German Comics are the reprints of Marvel Silver age Comics by Williams Verlag (Publisher) They published the classics ASM, Hulk, FF, Iron Man, Avengers etc. from the start in January 1974 to 1979 when they had to quit. The Look was held quite close to the US Originals. In comparison to the US books they are affordable. The most valuable Book is "Die Spinne" Nr.1 (AF 15) which guides at 700 Euro in NM. Most of the issues one can purchase for an average between 5 to 10 Euro.

This books hooked me when I was 9 or 10. In 1980 I bought the 10th Overstreet Price Guide and I learned that the Williams Marvels were US reprints. And I was shocked by the prices (I was 14 then).

PS. I find this Board very interesting. I learn a lot when reading the discussions.

Greetings to all Golden and Silver age fans!

Thomas from Cologne/Germany

Hello Old Skool!

If you are intersted in German Comics you should try it on ebay.de! (search: Williams Marvel Comics) My favorite German Comics are the reprints of Marvel Silver age Comics by Williams Verlag (Publisher) They published the classics ASM, Hulk, FF, Iron Man, Avengers etc. from the start in January 1974 to 1979 when they had to quit. The Look was held quite close to the US Originals. In comparison to the US books they are affordable. The most valuable Book is "Die Spinne" Nr.1 (AF 15) which guides at 700 Euro in NM. Most of the issues one can purchase for an average between 5 to 10 Euro.

This books hooked me when I was 9 or 10. In 1980 I bought the 10th Overstreet Price Guide and I learned that the Williams Marvels were US reprints. And I was shocked by the prices (I was 14 then).

PS. I find this Board very interesting. I learn a lot when reading the discussions.

Greetings to all Golden and Silver age fans!

Thomas from Cologne/Germany

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

I very much appreciate the information you provided and would love to see scans of any of the German editions. popcorn.gif

Hello!

Now I try to add some scans of German Comics. I hope it works. It shows Covers from Hulk Nr.1, FF Nr.6 and a typical German Marvel Backcover, which displayed the covers of the issues coming next mont- so many book - so little money! I also add a German Disney Cover from 1955 (Only a poor old Man - Ein armer alter Mann).

Thomas

1175011-Hulk1.jpg.ef69b0dd35c376b61c594a201820074e.jpg

I guess the value of this book ranges between 100-200 Euro. The first German Micky Maus (Mickey Mouse) Comic Book was published in 1951.This Book is really expensive several thousand Euro( maybe 5-8k). I hope this is Info interesting for you.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

1175024-DD1955.jpg.c7b172fb27ae98f9ccc87dbd3a3634a2.jpg