• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabbing purely for completing

23 posts in this topic

I am thinking about sending some of my comics to cgc BUT i know they will not be worth much to other people.

I have a locke and key #1 NM this will be oke i guess. A venom lethal protector gold which is also oke. But i want to grade and slab my x-files #1 ashcan, just to complete my collection of different x-files #1's. plus a few more.

The problem is .... I live in the Netherlands so the costs will be huge compared to the value of most of the comics.

How do you guys look at this?

I am a completest and slab books to have the whole run, even though they are not financially worth doing.

Same with me in some books. Most of my SA runs are worth money but from a financial point of view, I could have left the non-keys raw and saved money.

It's silly to say this but it really depends on you and what you want. If its going to bother you that they aren't slabbed and you are always going to have it in the back of your mind then go for it!

Personally, I couldn't justify slabbing my non-key random issues for the sake of completing a run when I would much rather put that money towards more meaningful key comics. That's just me though.

Thanx guys i will go ahead with it. And enjoy the moment when all of them are on my wall next to each other.

All of them are modern btw. i started collecting in 93/94 with a short stop right at the time the walking dead came out. Still upset about that :-)

Here's the caveat...

I wouldn't slab worthless moderns that aren't high grade (like 9.6 or 9.8). If you have moderns that aren't high grade I would say slabbing them is a very bad idea.

One person's 'complete waste of money' is another's 'do what makes you happy'. I'm of the latter variety .. if it makes you happy, then just do it.

I'm slabbing Modern's too, with no intention of selling any of them .. they're just for my own personal gratification.

Enjoy, Sir! Afterall, that's what its all about.

I'm in the same boat as you. I collect Coppers and moderns and I try to get as many as i can signed and slabbed. Most of them will never sell for what it cost to get them signed and slabbed, but I don't collect to sell. I collect for my own enjoyment.

If you love the book, get it signed and slabbed..... No matter how "worrhless" it is, it will always be your gem. 2c

Here's one of my favorite "worthless" modern gems. Whoever doesn't like it, can go jump in a lake! :P

SAM_3768.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]If you have some extra money

maybe moving that money toward:

mortgage, retirement plan, emergencies, education of your kids, insurance, etc it's a better idea.

If they are modern and not too valuable enjoy them the way they are now...[/font]

2c

With the shipping and slabbing fees, would it be cheaper to buy already slabbed copies of the books you want? That is what I'd do if I was in your situation.

Of course it depends on the comic. If it would be cheaper to just buy that comic slabbed (and it's available slabbed) AND that specific comic has no personal value to you then just buy it slabbed and sell or keep the unslabbed comic.

:whistle: