• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Candid VCC Discussion - Post your Opinions.

194 posts in this topic

I understand why people don't want to set up a booth. As I, and others, have said, it's time consuming. However, I don't understand why some people won't buy. That just baffles me. ???

My only complain from a buyer stand point is the prices at the VCC seem to tend toward the high price side. I realize it takes some time to post up books but it seems to be a waste to spend all that time to just list a ton of slabs at GPA 90 day average and then have almost none of them sell. It seems to me a better option to price the books 10 - 15% lower than GPA since there are almost no fees involved and watch the books fly off the shelves. Waiting until Sunday to offer a 10% may work in a actual convention but at that point all the buying has taken place and it would probably be better to just throw up a sales thread on Monday morning.

Whereas I don't understand why so many people put so much stock in GPA period being that their data isn't accurately covering the whole of the market. Plus... if I have a book I picked up for say $100 raw, have it graded and it comes back 9.4/9.6 and GPA on it is $1500 I'd be more than happy to sell it for somewhere in the $800-1200 range. Maybe that's just me though. (shrug)

I understand why people don't want to set up a booth. As I, and others, have said, it's time consuming. However, I don't understand why some people won't buy. That just baffles me. ???

My only complain from a buyer stand point is the prices at the VCC seem to tend toward the high price side. I realize it takes some time to post up books but it seems to be a waste to spend all that time to just list a ton of slabs at GPA 90 day average and then have almost none of them sell. It seems to me a better option to price the books 10 - 15% lower than GPA since there are almost no fees involved and watch the books fly off the shelves. Waiting until Sunday to offer a 10% may work in a actual convention but at that point all the buying has taken place and it would probably be better to just throw up a sales thread on Monday morning.

I agree. I've seen people complain that they didn't sell anything. The reason in a lot of cases is because....

1) They priced their comics too high. (Yes, current GPA is often too high for many buyers on the boards.)

2) They are offering stuff no one wants.

3) They are offering stuff that didn't sell in previous VCCs

4) They are not providing scans.

5) They don't put up enough offerings to make their booth interesting to look at.

My 2c , nothing more

I've had good success selling at various VCCs and as much as I enjoy it, it's very time consuming. Photobucket doing away with being able to generate thumbnail pics quickly definitely has had an impact on recent selling. I've looked at several options but none that I've found works as well as Photobucket used to work.

Additionally, I have less time these days for the most time intensive activity, scanning.

Personally don't use photobucket, and don't especially like it. Format is a little tough to use as well. Just seems easier and much more convenient to run a sales thread, when I can list what I want in the way I want.

But isn't it also easier to sell your books at a store rather than lugging books to a comic convention center. If the VCC drew in enough people - the sellers would be there to make the perceived cash.

I equate the VCC to a local comic con in Akron - a lot of good fun is had by a few select people and maybe a couple people make a few bucks. In order for the VCC to be a big event you need some big name dealers to feel like it is work their time and efforts to set up booth which will pull in the buyers.

I agree. I've seen people complain that they didn't sell anything. The reason in a lot of cases is because....

1) They priced their comics too high. (Yes, current GPA is often too high for many buyers on the boards.)

2) They are offering stuff no one wants.

3) They are offering stuff that didn't sell in previous VCCs

4) They are not providing scans.

5) They don't put up enough offerings to make their booth interesting to look at.

My 2c , nothing more

Great points. I for one love it when you sell at the VCC since the books you bring are fairly priced and you have a good mix of books that make me take out my calculator and try to figure out a combo deal or two. The VCC is for everyone - I even sell some of my drek each year but the same people clean up every year. Its not a coincidence.

Whereas I don't understand why so many people put so much stock in GPA period being that their data isn't accurately covering the whole of the market. Plus... if I have a book I picked up for say $100 raw, have it graded and it comes back 9.4/9.6 and GPA on it is $1500 I'd be more than happy to sell it for somewhere in the $800-1200 range. Maybe that's just me though. (shrug)

Put me down for a couple of those books :cloud9:

Great points. I for one love it when you sell at the VCC since the books you bring are fairly priced and you have a good mix of books that make me take out my calculator and try to figure out a combo deal or two. The VCC is for everyone - I even sell some of my drek each year but the same people clean up every year. Its not a coincidence.

To be fair, I've always tried to grade and price comics to move. That means significant discounts below guide. Not everyone is willing or able to do that. However, most of my comics were purchased at a time when they weren't worth much so I have more wiggle room when it comes to pricing.

And why couldn't people with an emergency post up their books at the VCC? If the sales threads are closed for the weekend then realistically about the same or even more people would be scanning the VCC for deals. It is very easy to post up a few emergency books - lots of work to put together a complete booth with graphics.

As I said, that was just my immediate thought. I'm just throwing out "worst case scenarios and what if's?". I don't know all the rules involved with the VCC, such as is there a time limit to set up a booth or can someone open a booth halfway into it? If they can, then great :)

Finally, I don't understand the allure. Stuff's posted everyday. There's no incentive to look/wait for the VCC. If I have stuff to sell, I would make a post. If I want to buy something I can look at seller's posts.

I agree with this.

I participate as both buyer and seller in VCC to try and help make the concept fly, but when you get right down to it, the concept doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A minor thing I take issue with is the specific starting time. So, as a buyer sits at his computer to send a PM at exactly 10:00AM (not one minute before otherwise you incur a 15 minute penalty), only to find out that your PM literally came in 5 seconds too late for a book - can be pretty frustrating. Having it happen twice at two consecutive VCCs? I had to go kick the dog around the back yard for 20 minutes after I missed that other book. There's really no solution for sellers, as a buyer, I don't bother looking at the VCC threads beforehand because I don't want to be disappointed when I miss something. So I'll look later in the day or the next.

However, I do like the concept of the VCC. I think it's a great venue for sellers who don't sell very often to put out some stuff. I can appreciate the hard work that goes into it, and I think it's great to have a gigantic sales thread (in essence) going on during those events.

Sometimes it's hard to get one's sh***t together for these things. I sell on here a few times a year and it usually involves me listing stuff over the course of 2-3 days in blocks, you sort of need to have your act together in advance for the VCC, so I think I have only seriously participated in a VCC once because of this

anyway, i too appreciate the time put into this by the organizers. as for expanding...for a seller, my buyers are, of course, good, but I do have concerns about a flood of sellers (aside from pure self interest as a seller more than buyer) who may not have a real connection to these boards other than to zip in and out to make a quick buck.

I'm probably one of the few overseas boardies that has participated in all of the VCCs, about half a dozen as a seller and all of them as a buyer. My first attempt at a booth was a bust, but there was a LOT of stuff for sale and a lot of sellers during those first few VCCs.

The next few attempts I mostly put up keys and books over $100 and sold out my booth completely a few times. On average prices were 10 to 15% under GPA or current market prices.

I figure I'm not paying any fees or commission so why not factor that into account when selling.

So if me, who lives halfway across the world can manage a few successful VCCs, I'm sure anyone can. I never put up more than 15 books and setting up the booth takes about an hour.

The only snag is that I never get a decent spot as I don't want to get up at 4 AM to claim a prime piece of real estate. But hey page #4 isn't that bad either :sumo:

As a buyer I've been a little underwhelmed the past 2 or 3 VCCs, a lot of sellers tend to recycle the stuff that didn't sell the previous times, some books are offered again and again, stifling the urge to look through a seller's booth to see if he has anything new for sale sandwiched between all the leftovers.

I'm probably one of the few overseas boardies that has participated in all of the VCCs, about half a dozen as a seller and all of them as a buyer. My first attempt at a booth was a bust, but there was a LOT of stuff for sale and a lot of sellers during those first few VCCs.

The next few attempts I mostly put up keys and books over $100 and sold out my booth completely a few times. On average prices were 10 to 15% under GPA or current market prices.

I figure I'm not paying any fees or commission so why not factor that into account when selling.

So if me, who lives halfway across the world can manage a few successful VCCs, I'm sure anyone can. I never put up more than 15 books and setting up the booth takes about an hour.

The only snag is that I never get a decent spot as I don't want to get up at 4 AM to claim a prime piece of real estate. But hey page #4 isn't that bad either :sumo:

As a buyer I've been a little underwhelmed the past 2 or 3 VCCs, a lot of sellers tend to recycle the stuff that didn't sell the previous times, some books are offered again and again, stifling the urge to look through a seller's booth to see if he has anything new for sale sandwiched between all the leftovers.

The bolded part above is one of the reasons why the last few VCCs seemed to have stagnated a bit. The same sellers, offering the same books, at the same prices. If they want to move books, you would think they might try lowering prices a bit, instead of continuously putting the same tired product out time and time again at a price that it won't move at.

Finally, I don't understand the allure. Stuff's posted everyday. There's no incentive to look/wait for the VCC. If I have stuff to sell, I would make a post. If I want to buy something I can look at seller's posts.

I agree with this.

I participate as both buyer and seller in VCC to try and help make the concept fly, but when you get right down to it, the concept doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A minor thing I take issue with is the specific starting time. So, as a buyer sits at his computer to send a PM at exactly 10:00AM (not one minute before otherwise you incur a 15 minute penalty), only to find out that your PM literally came in 5 seconds too late for a book - can be pretty frustrating. Having it happen twice at two consecutive VCCs? I had to go kick the dog around the back yard for 20 minutes after I missed that other book. There's really no solution for sellers, as a buyer, I don't bother looking at the VCC threads beforehand because I don't want to be disappointed when I miss something. So I'll look later in the day or the next.

However, I do like the concept of the VCC. I think it's a great venue for sellers who don't sell very often to put out some stuff. I can appreciate the hard work that goes into it, and I think it's great to have a gigantic sales thread (in essence) going on during those events.

No different that missing it in a sales thread though.

How about something like this for the next VCC:

A hard cap on the number of books or items each seller can list (something like 25 books or items maybe); and it must be all new material not previously offered on the boards or as part of previous VCC's.

Cap it at 100 booths (wishful thinking that there would be that many sellers booths but whatever) and advertise like crazy.

2,500 books all in one place at one time. No seller's fees, no buyer's premiums. Come in and browse!

Call it the VCC Pride and Joy Con or the No Dreck VCC or something similar...

(shrug)

A hard cap on the number of books or items each seller can list (something like 25 books or items maybe); and it must be all new material not previously offered on the boards or as part of previous VCC's.

Cap it at 100 booths (wishful thinking that there would be that many sellers booths but whatever) and advertise like crazy.

2,500 books all in one place at one time. No seller's fees, no buyer's premiums. Come in and browse!

(shrug)

FU, Jaskola

(shrug)

FU, Jaskola

Go get someone to help you win at WWF, nerdling!

:sumo:

(shrug)

FU, Jaskola

I won the last game so suck it.

(shrug)

FU, Jaskola

I won the last game so suck it.
:cry:

I disagree and say shut it down for the weekend. They can adjust their schedules 3 times a year or so.

Or, you can let people decide what they want to do and when, and not put limitations on them. I don't think Kroger is going to shut down all the Harris Teeters when Kroger wants to run a big sale.

(thumbs u

-slym

Using a grocery store comparison really doesn't apply here. I am not trying to starve anyone lol.

Ur supposed to be greedy. GPA says so :devil:

:jokealert:

Come to the Cards, Comics, and Collectibles booth this weekend in Baltimore and hit me.

I wish I could participate.