• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Touch or Not!

9 posts in this topic

I own two copies of X-Men #2 (1963). Both have been CGC graded at 8.0 and been given the unrestored blue lable. However, the background color on one copy is orange, while on the other it's red. I also own two CGC copies of Amazing Spider-Man #298 that have the same difference in background color. Is this a common thing that occurs during printing, or was the color touch-up missed by the CGC graders?

I own two copies of X-Men #2 (1963). Both have been CGC graded at 8.0 and been given the unrestored blue lable. However, the background color on one copy is orange, while on the other it's red. I also own two CGC copies of Amazing Spider-Man #298 that have the same difference in background color. Is this a common thing that occurs during printing, or was the color touch-up missed by the CGC graders?

No, I can't imagine that 50% of the cover could be color touched in such a way that cgc could miss it.

I'm confused about what problem you could be having on ASM 298 since the background color on that is white.

DiceX answered the "why" on the variations in his comic production flaws thread:

Ok, how about the color variations seen on many Silver Age books?

Some have suggested there are 'variants' that exist, others believe it has something to do with the printing method used in those days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The most common example that comes to mind is FF #48 where some copies display a red cover and others are brown.

Printing problem? If so, please explain. confused-smiley-013.gif

Printing variance.

While printing, the color has to be set and will drift through the run.

Meaning: Ink is applied to the plate during the run. The Pressman can controll the density of the ink to have the most visual appeal.

When the press starts the run, the ink densities across the plate may be quite different from what it should be. As the run progresses, a Pressman is constantly checking and adjusting the ink to get the closest match to the color proof.

This is much tougher to do than it sounds.

There are times where there can be areas on the plate where it is starved for ink, and others where the ink can be flooded causing the print to look very saturated or even muddy.

This variance can happen in a single color, or all four.

For comparison sake, on your home printer, there are crude color controlls.

You can set the printer to run color very light, or you can set it to flood the page with ink.

The settings you use can have a very drastic effect on the look of a picture you print. By changing them, you can print the exact same picture multiple times and make them look very different.

This is one of the most comon production variances and can occur on virtually everything printed.

No, I can't imagine that 50% of the cover could be color touched in such a way that cgc could miss it.

I'm confused about what problem you could be having on ASM 298 since the background color on that is white.

DiceX answered the "why" on the variations in his comic production flaws thread:

Ok, how about the color variations seen on many Silver Age books?

Some have suggested there are 'variants' that exist, others believe it has something to do with the printing method used in those days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The most common example that comes to mind is FF #48 where some copies display a red cover and others are brown.

Printing problem? If so, please explain. confused-smiley-013.gif

Printing variance.

While printing, the color has to be set and will drift through the run.

Meaning: Ink is applied to the plate during the run. The Pressman can controll the density of the ink to have the most visual appeal.

When the press starts the run, the ink densities across the plate may be quite different from what it should be. As the run progresses, a Pressman is constantly checking and adjusting the ink to get the closest match to the color proof.

This is much tougher to do than it sounds.

There are times where there can be areas on the plate where it is starved for ink, and others where the ink can be flooded causing the print to look very saturated or even muddy.

This variance can happen in a single color, or all four.

For comparison sake, on your home printer, there are crude color controlls.

You can set the printer to run color very light, or you can set it to flood the page with ink.

The settings you use can have a very drastic effect on the look of a picture you print. By changing them, you can print the exact same picture multiple times and make them look very different.

This is one of the most comon production variances and can occur on virtually everything printed.

You hit the nail on the head, Rob.

What's the deal with the ASM 298? It has a white background.

My mistake on A.S.M. #298. It's not the background color that's different but the flame portion generated by Chance's blast. On one of my copies it's orange, while on the other one it's red. The printing variance answer does make sense though. Thanks.