• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

118 posts in this topic

[

They must have had a whole lot more than 80,000 October covers printed. They clearly took these additional October covers and had the printer place a black dot over "Oct" and "Nov" above it...weird, weird weird...

Long story short, this is generally attributed to a quick fix to the black plate only of the original set of plates. (Black shows through if you don't back it uniformly. I could easily reproduce this effect on a comic today)

A few years back, I spent quite a bit of time comparing a bunch of copies and convinced myself that the Nov-circle was shifting independently of the rest of the black plate -- but that's probably of secondary importance to the timeline. Whatever they did exactly, they used the existing plates and did a quick fix to get back to press and get additional covers printed as quickly as possible (and as we were discussing with the dates earlier, they did a quick turnaround on the Nov indeed).

Mark, I remember participating in that thread where we were all scrutinizing those images trying to deconstruct the process used. Fun stuff!

Take a look at the copy posted earlier in the thread where it appears that the black has been run twice -- slightly off register. To me this suggests that at least some of the Nov covers were leftover over Oct covers that were run through the new black plate.

Mark, I remember participating in that thread where we were all scrutinizing those images trying to deconstruct the process used. Fun stuff!

Take a look at the copy posted earlier in the thread where it appears that the black has been run twice -- slightly off register. To me this suggests that at least some of the Nov covers were leftover over Oct covers that were run through the new black plate.

Yeah, good times indeed. I was going to make a gif of the circle-Nov moving around compared to the rest of the black in that corner through various copies at one point, but realized I'd already spent a crazy amount of time on it. But I wonder if I've still got those files around... hmlol

Honestly, I think maybe what we're seeing on that one is just black off register with the rest of the plates. "Rich black" does have some c, m, and y underneath it, which can look pretty dark on its own. Plus I just can't wrap my head around trying to align the whole black plate for another pass. I just don't think it's something you'd have ever attempted, even with sheet-fed and you had uncut cover sheets left over.

That does make me wonder about something though... so the #1 printer was in Newark and #2 on for bit was Greater Buffalo Press (Busy Arnold was involved there, they were a huge printing business and printed a lot of comics in the GA era). But some of these places were just doing newsprint printing and got slick covers printed elsewhere. So it'd be interesting to know if the Marvel 1 cover was printed elsewhere.

[

They must have had a whole lot more than 80,000 October covers printed. They clearly took these additional October covers and had the printer place a black dot over "Oct" and "Nov" above it...weird, weird weird...

Long story short, this is generally attributed to a quick fix to the black plate only of the original set of plates. (Black shows through if you don't back it uniformly. I could easily reproduce this effect on a comic today)

A few years back, I spent quite a bit of time comparing a bunch of copies and convinced myself that the Nov-circle was shifting independently of the rest of the black plate -- but that's probably of secondary importance to the timeline. Whatever they did exactly, they used the existing plates and did a quick fix to get back to press and get additional covers printed as quickly as possible (and as we were discussing with the dates earlier, they did a quick turnaround on the Nov indeed).

If you look at Nov Marvel Mystery 1s, they run from being able to clearly see the Oct underneath the dot to being able to see it if you look very closely, to not being able to see Oct at all...

[

If you look at Nov Marvel Mystery 1s, they run from being able to clearly see the Oct underneath the dot to being able to see it if you look very closely, to not being able to see Oct at all...

Sure, but that has more to do with varying quantities of ink over the course of the run. what I'm talking about is how the black appears to have been run twice with the plates not quite lined up. It's most apparent in the Torch's face, but all of the black line work appears to be doubled.

atjdVEC.jpg

That's why I was thinking that maybe they had some left over already-printed October covers that they reran with the new Nov black plate. That would account for the double black strike. But if that's the case it was probably only a handful as the black on most Nov copies looks normal.

[

Sure, but that has more to do with varying quantities of ink over the course of the run. what I'm talking about is how the black appears to have been run twice with the plates not quite lined up. It's most apparent in the Torch's face, but all of the black line work appears to be doubled.

atjdVEC.jpg

That's why I was thinking that maybe they had some left over already-printed October covers that they reran with the new Nov black plate. That would account for the double black strike. But if that's the case it was probably only a handful as the black on most Nov copies looks normal.

The Nick Cage October copy seems to have a similar issue, but it looks like out of registration green in that case, so it may just be a separate plate.

[

atjdVEC.jpg

The Nick Cage October copy seems to have a similar issue, but it looks like out of registration green in that case, so it may just be a separate plate.

Ah, you're right. And now I see Mark's post above which explains it. One set of lines is the black and the other is combined c, m, and y which looks sort of dark green.

Honestly, I think maybe what we're seeing on that one is just black off register with the rest of the plates. "Rich black" does have some c, m, and y underneath it, which can look pretty dark on its own. Plus I just can't wrap my head around trying to align the whole black plate for another pass. I just don't think it's something you'd have ever attempted, even with sheet-fed and you had uncut cover sheets left over.

[

atjdVEC.jpg

That was exactly my initial point re the existing Oct covers being re-run in order to place the Nov info on them.

Another question - is that Frank Paul's signature, or at least the word "Paul" next to the man's left hip? I think that I see a "P" and an "l" there but...

[

atjdVEC.jpg

That was exactly my initial point re the existing Oct covers being re-run in order to place the Nov info on them.

Another question - is that Frank Paul's signature, or at least the word "Paul" next to the man's left hip? I think that I see a "P" and an "l" there but...

Looks like my copy was one of the original Oct. copies that was re-run to put the Nov. date

Looks like my copy was one of the original Oct. copies that was re-run to put the Nov. date

I think the theory is that all of them are.

But my question is this, if the Nov copies (or at least a majority) are left-over covers that were run again does that mean the inside covers were not printed when the front cover was initially printed?

That makes no sense.

But i don't remember in the indicia there being any date cross-out so they could put November instead of October in the copyright at the bottom.

Of course it has been a long-time since I've seen the inside of one, so I could be mistaken.

[

atjdVEC.jpg

That's the same conclusion I drew when I obtained a copy with double-struck black

I think the theory is that all of them are.

But my question is this, if the Nov copies (or at least a majority) are left-over covers that were run again does that mean the inside covers were not printed when the front cover was initially printed?

That makes no sense.

But i don't remember in the indicia there being any date cross-out so they could put November instead of October in the copyright at the bottom.

Of course it has been a long-time since I've seen the inside of one, so I could be mistaken.

There is a blacked out line in the indicia.

One thing that some might be missing however... yes, MC doesn't have a Superman or Batman in it... but it does have its title. If the very first Marvel comic had been, say, All Winners #1, this would be a different story. But it's actually Marvel Comics #1... the name synonymous with all those famous silver-age characters, the name that still means comic books to millions. Detective Comics #27 will always be worth more... but it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bingo! Give the man a prize.

I said the same thing years ago, without this book we may never have the Marvel Universe in general, and that will always be more important than a single character. A world with no Spidey, Wolvie or even Deadpool. :o What a lonely place that would be. :sorry:

Jim

Looks like Marvel is starting up the Invaders again. Could be that Marvel is starting to set the table for fans to be reacquainted with the concept as they move towards a movie?

Link

Would make for a great movie. They have already planted the seed with the Torch and Bucky in the Cap movies and if Vin Diesel is slated to play Namor.......... hm:popcorn:

From an earlier post - does anybody else see Frank Paul's signature "Paul" lower right right beside man's left hip?

That is Paul's sig.

(thumbs u

There is a blacked out line in the indicia.

(thumbs u