• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often do you receive books stressed by slabbing?

30 posts in this topic

Not sure how moisture got in there if it did get in there. Maybe at the con? Maybe at CGC? Really not sure. Certainly the box that was sent was completely dry.. so was the bubble wrap.

Rapid or extreme temperature change causes water vapor inside the barex (including humidity in the books itself) to condense on the inside wall.

This book used to be a 9.2. The pages moved in the inner well, but the cover didn't, hence the tear that you see near the upper staple. (I think - or hope, at least - that they're making the inner wells more snug now.)

:ohnoez:

Oh man. Devastating. Did you follow up with CGC or just cop it on the chin?

Any update when you called CGC about this?

What Beyonder said can't be true... because I am acutely aware of exactly where my tackle is located, and my wife is interstate at the moment, but I haven't called.

I did, however, send them an email via the contact form on cgcomics.com this morning (well, this morning my time - not sure of the time variance to over there. My google is broken. And by that I mean my desire to google that is broken). I suspect it's night time there and that this will be looked at over the next few days.

I'll update the thread though. :)

Since returning to the hobby, I've noticed that modern books use paper not unlike photo paper that can get sticky when exposed to moisture. I've seen alot of pages stick together too, especially along the spine. Maybe condensation set in at one time and stuck the cover to the inner sleeve?

+1

my guess too

They are also a nightmare to press. Inks activate at very low temperatures.

I call them comic-bricks. :facepalm:

Since returning to the hobby, I've noticed that modern books use paper not unlike photo paper that can get sticky when exposed to moisture. I've seen alot of pages stick together too, especially along the spine. Maybe condensation set in at one time and stuck the cover to the inner sleeve?

+1

my guess too

They are also a nightmare to press. Inks activate at very low temperatures.

+infinity

Any update when you called CGC about this?

General update.

I received an email from CGC Submissions to state that they received my web-form submitted enquiry but that it was basically empty, aside from my email address so could I please re-iterate my query in email.

So I hit reply and outlined the issue and included the PDF scan of the book - which allows for the ultimate in zooming close ups.

That was five days ago....

qa06EzD.jpg

I've just given them a nudge in email to see if I get a response.

Good luck

If it were me, I would have called and talked to a representative who would give their email address to send pics of the issue. I'd then email them the pic and it would be taken care of quickly. I've done this before and never had a problem.

That's just me.

All the best,

Marc

Top Edge:

avq8PVS.png

Side:

tv0a67P.png

Bottom Edge:

UjAgj8u.png

(Looks like that most of the way along)

Put it this way - I was considering breaking up and offloading books from my Batman Vol 2 SS collection.. but I can't sell this book in good conscience.

This book was a special request and a boardie did me a massive favour arranging it for me... but I think CGC maybe shouldn't have let this through QA... :shrug: That said, what could they do? Once it's done it's done!

I have never seen anything like that before! Could be due to a combination of heat, humidity, and a tight case?