• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age mini-series?

85 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I've not read any tpb's from the 80's. I have gatherd from this thread that I should get:

1) Watchmen

2) Crisis

3) Secret Wars

4) DKR

Is that about right, or am I missing some?

Help me out here, as I plan on reading all of them.

Wolverine Limited Series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz. In fact, you can swap these in the place of Watchmen and Crisis, and you'll be much happier. thumbsup2.gif

Consider those added.How the heck did I miss Wolverine?

But...can't drop the other two. I read "The End" not too long ago and the guy at the LCS said I should read Crisis as it's practically the same story. He wasn't saying it in a good way either, but now I gotta read it!

Whats wrong with "Watchmen" though? Everywhere I go (ok, my local lcs and here) people say I should read it.

But...can't drop the other two. I read "The End" not too long ago and the guy at the LCS said I should read Crisis as it's practically the same story. He wasn't saying it in a good way either, but now I gotta read it!

Whats wrong with "Watchmen" though? Everywhere I go (ok, my local lcs and here) people say I should read it.

Nothing's wrong with it. It is a fine story. Definitely worth reading. I was just getting in a dig at the DC/Watchmen lovers on the forums.

Crisis, on the other hand -- now that was lame FOR REAL. sleeping.gif

Nothing's wrong with it. It is a fine story. Definitely worth reading. I was just getting in a dig at the DC/Watchmen lovers on the forums.

Crisis, on the other hand -- now that was lame FOR REAL. sleeping.gif

gossip.gif : eredman, (FFB LIES ), if you like Perez, you will like Crisis, he is spreading

these lies in other threads gossip.gif

1) Watchmen

2) Crisis

3) Secret Wars

4) DKR

5) Wolverine

Get the Best of Wolverine HC that's coming out next week - it has Claremont and Miller's Wolverine mini plus the entire Barry Windsor-Smith "Weapon X" story from Marvel Comics Presents."

With these try the first and see if you like it:

Daredevil Visionnaries Frank Miller Vol. 1-3

Thor Visionnaries Walt Simonson Vols. 1-3

Fantastic Four Visionaries John Byrne Vols. 1-2

Swamp Thing Vols 1-5

There's always a critic.

The stories in Volume 1 are written by Roger Mackenzie.

Nevertheless, I think Miller's unique style of artwork and some of the issues are actually pretty decent bronze age superhero comics and worthwhile to read in order to understand who the players are when the series starts to hit it's stride in Volume 2 (when Miller takes over as writer and introduces Matt's college flame now assassin Elektra).

I tend to see the entire Miller Daredevil (issues 158-191) run as a complete saga of sorts... and Volume 1 is the first act in a three act play. In those early issues you get the initial setup of the players, Matt, Bullseye, Kingpin, Matt's inability to maintain a relationship, even the Black Widow (a pawn for Bullseye in Volume 1 she shows up again in Volume 3) and various other supporting characters....

...and if you like Volumes 2 and 3 you will want to read Volume 1. There was a reason why we were getting excited about Miller's Daredevil well before Miss Natchios showed her red-scarfed head. The Bullseye story in 160-161 was a favourite of mine as a kid.

Elektra: Assassin?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Come on FFB, you can do better than that. I'm a fan of both Mr. Miller and Mr. Sienkiewicz but that's a "dog" that's had too much "day".

P-U!

Elektra: Assassin was brilliant. confused-smiley-013.gif

Elektra: Assassin was brilliant.

Not the one I read... I have nothing against Bill's art which IS brilliant, but EA gets really dumb towards the end. It's my personal feeling that Frank went waaaaay over the top on that story in an attempt to be "clever".

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Elektra: Assassin was brilliant.

Not the one I read... I have nothing against Bill's art which IS brilliant, but EA gets really dumb towards the end. It's my personal feeling that Frank went waaaaay over the top on that story in an attempt to be "clever"..

There's always a critic. insane.gif

Daredevil Visionaries Frank Miller volume 1 is pretty lame if you ask me. Definitely not a must read!

I remember buying the Volume 1 after Volume 2 and was glad I did because Volume 2 was the best. I honestly thought liked Visionaries 3 the least though...

Best of Wolverine Vol. 1 shipped sold out at Diamond.

If Marvel decides to reprint on this book it will be as a second printing.

Description:

The world's deadliest mutant, he's been called the best there is; now, the best of the best Wolverine stories ever told are collected in one deluxe hardcover! In Claremont and Miller's WOLVERINE, Logan goes solo when he travels to Japan, testing his honor and risking his life for the only woman he's ever loved. In Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X, Wolverine is subjected to a series of sadistic medical experiments designed to create the perfect soldier long before his days as an X-Man. Also collecting INCREDIBLE HULK #181, UNCANNY X-MEN #205 and CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #8! 320 PGS./MARVEL PSR $29.99 UPC: 5960611370-00111

One series I always loved was Starstruck. It came out almost 20 years ago, a graphic novel, 6 Epic issues, and the Expanding Universe issues, and I STILL don't understand exactly what was going on. I am not clear on the history of the material, either. Was it completely original starting with the graphic novel, or was there any of it printed in Heavy Metal or elsewhere before that?

Anyone have Expanding Universe #4? I've been looking for that for 5 years, since I first found out it existed.

Starstruck was a play written by Elaine Lee with costume designs by Kaluta, and they decided to adapt it into a comic book series. In some cases it's straight adaptation of the play, in others it's continuing with characters created for the play.

I'll see if I can dig up a complete description.