• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age mini-series?

85 posts in this topic

Since the Copper Age is also the era in which mini-series came to dominate the output by many publishers, what do you consider to be the best and/or your favorite?

Is it Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? Many believe DKR is the best book of the 1980's. Perhaps it's Alan Moore's groundbreaking series Watchmen?

Or do you have a more personal favorite choice? Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew maybe?

I agree Rob: Dark Knight Returns hail.gif Miller is God hail.gif

Can't wait to see the Sin City flick next year. They've invorporated half a dozen copper minis into that sucker. Sin City headbang.gif

Personal fave:

Mage - The Hero Discovered (Matt Wagner, Comico) (and not just because the hero's name is Kevin).

It's not a mini-series but a run so maybe it will count? confused-smiley-013.gif

My favorite "Copper run" was certainly #298-328, you know the title.

More than anything else for me, the Copper Age was the McFarlane Era. Between what he and Miller did in the mid to late 1980s helped define what comics still are today. -----Sid

Well, I was thinking specifically of finite series - intended to be only 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 or 12 issues in length.

Todd definitely brought me back to Amazing. Great books. I also enjoyed Larsen's work on that title when Todd launched (adjectiveless) Spider-Man.

I realize that people don't look as fondly on the Larsen books as they do on Todd's, but IMO they maintained the spirit of Todd's books and kept the series consistant.

A little out of the ordinary perhaps but this is probably my favorite mini-series from an independant publisher in the Copper Age. This is #2 from a 5-issue mini-series published between 1989 and 1992. Whether it was intended to be a mini-series or was just cancelled after five issues I don't know.

610380-Tapping.jpg

610380-Tapping.jpg.aa11a93806094ac85407d08a20cbd595.jpg

Having read both Dark Knight Returnd and Watchmen I give the edge to watchmen.

I feel watchmen Had more of an impact and was a more interesting read!

Darknight is essentially a What if/Elseworlds Story

DKR is "A Number 1" in my book. Followed closely by Crisis.

Contest of Champions felt like a lightweight to me and Watchmen had some initial shock value but seemed like it could have been wrapped up two issues earlier. It dragged on so much at the end I lost interest in it.

The Wolvie Mini was not an elitist artistic masterpiece but it sure was fun to read and look at.

Some of my favorite mini-series from this time have become quite obscure.

BLACK DRAGON was a limited series by Chris Claremont and John Bolton set in England in the reign of Richard Lionheart.

CRASH RYAN was pure sci-fi fantasy,similar to Sky Captain

HAWKEYE-still remember being shocked by the lastpage with Clint and Mockingbird ending up in the hot tub. Marvel heroes didn't do things like that back then.

MAGE and GRENDEL.-limited series that really touched me. Couldn't believe it when Hunter Rose was killed off camera.

SQUADRON SUPREME-too bad Marvel didn't have the balls to use the Avengers instead. That would have been an instant classic.

CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cloud9.gif

I read Crisis while I was on vacation.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

One of the lamest, most contrived storylines in comic book history. sumo.gif

Of course, your big build-up is part of the reason that the actual book didn't meet my expectations, so you have only yourself to blame. confused-smiley-013.gif

Some of my favorite mini-series from this time have become quite obscure.

BLACK DRAGON was a limited series by Chris Claremont and John Bolton set in England in the reign of Richard Lionheart.

Anything by Bolton has always been worth buying and your right Black Dragon was a quality series. I may have to dig up his stuff and post it in the copper horror thread for those Horror Junkies in the forum. He has a flair for mixing beauty and horror at the same time.