• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will drive the NEXT big speculation boom?

72 posts in this topic

How about Cosplay characters (i.e., Harley Quinn)? Do those folks who dress up really buy their own comics? If yes, what other cosplay characters are popular (and thus their books)?

Actually selling Cosplay stuff might be a profitable boom?

It seems like more people go the comic book conventions to show off their Cosplay costumes, then actually buy comic books!

That`s something to investigate.

[

Mick has been gone for almost 20 years now and his balls sell for less now than they did when he was still alive.

What do you collect again?

:D

to be fair 20 years ago was 1993, and that was the HEIGHT of the baseball card/collectible boom. I think everything baseball memorabilia related has decreased vs the 90s prices.

How about Cosplay characters (i.e., Harley Quinn)? Do those folks who dress up really buy their own comics? If yes, what other cosplay characters are popular (and thus their books)?

It seems like more people go the comic book conventions to show off their Cosplay costumes, then actually buy comic books!

thats not a crazy point (though you cant speculate on it, but you could invest in something).

1st gen Cosplayers made their own outfits.

2nd gen with its growth into pop-culturedom means less dedicated "fans" and thus less interest in making their own outfits when outfits can be created for them.

They'd need to be "unique" (purchased outfits are often scoffed at because they are widely available and you can end up with the same outfit as someone else at a show).

Purchases would be in waves that align with con seasons.

I could see something like this being a good moneymaker for someone already in the garmet/fabrication industry.

I think some new hot artist will come on the scene, and reinvent stuff.

This generation hasn`t had that one big artist like

Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, John Byrne, Frank Miller, and Jim Lee.

In fact it`s been a very long time!

There has to be some new unknown artist out there that will take it to another level.

I think what Fiona Staples is doing over in Saga might fit the bill. The way they have worked in the captions in to the panel isn't necessarily new, but it looks like artwork.

JH Williams III also does some incredible panel layouts. His work on Detective was incredible and I'll never understand why he didn't do the work on his Batwoman run.

Quality of the stories?

I always like to dream… lol

I think quality stories already are driving the market. We've seen a huge shift away from people being zombies to characters; now they are zombies to writers. I know there is a handful of writers that I give a shot every month.

I've complained to my LCS enough that they now pull writers for me. They used to pull me every Spider-Man title each month regardless. They said their software was designed to automatically do it. Someone needs to create software that will do the same for creators (patent pending by the way).

TWD wouldn't be such a success if it wasn't for the quality of stories that Kirkman writes.

Original Art.

The boom has just started IMO.

If you ask me, we're in the comic collecting equivalent of the early 80's with OA.

The 1 of a kind factor is going to drive some crazy #'s in the next few years.

I think "nut punch" spidey and the DKR splash were just the tip of the iceburg.

This Black cat came ot my booth, and I asked to take her picture. Then said I had her first appearance and she said take a pic of me with it so I did, then she bought it.

it does happen although it is very rare.

CalgaryExpo2013033_zps760fab3b.jpg

Not to be dark (and I pray I am wrong), but the unfortunate passing of Stan Lee will cause a huge demand for his numerous signed marvel books and memorabilia.

I don't think the premium will ever be much more than it is currently.

Stan is the man, but over the years he's signed a ridiculous number of books.

I know there has to be millions, but I never said people do smart things with their money either.

I could easily see signature series stuff of his going for over double for a couple of months after he passes.

How well did the Mickey Mantle autograph market hold up after he passed away?

I think that's a fair thing to compare it to.

Mick has been gone for almost 20 years now and his balls sell for less now than they did when he was still alive.

I can see that, but then again I could see Stan as more of a Creative

and more wrapped into pop culture that just about anyone I seen in my lifetime

(now more than ever).

Artist/Creatives are known for more of a monetary influence once deceased.

Wait and see.

Hell, there may be a premium on books NOT signed by Stan because there are less of them.

Quality of the stories?

I always like to dream… lol

I think quality stories already are driving the market. We've seen a huge shift away from people being zombies to characters; now they are zombies to writers. I know there is a handful of writers that I give a shot every month.

I've complained to my LCS enough that they now pull writers for me. They used to pull me every Spider-Man title each month regardless. They said their software was designed to automatically do it. Someone needs to create software that will do the same for creators (patent pending by the way).

TWD wouldn't be such a success if it wasn't for the quality of stories that Kirkman writes.

This seems the case, although I have to admit I am dubious about many modern series (non superhero). But I was mostly thinking in recognizing the quality of what is already there. It still surprises me to see, say, Thing vs. Hulk books to go for multiples of other FF issues with qualitatively amazing stories. :P

Not to be dark (and I pray I am wrong), but the unfortunate passing of Stan Lee will cause a huge demand for his numerous signed marvel books and memorabilia.

I know there has to be millions, but I never said people do smart things with their money either.

I could easily see signature series stuff of his going for over double for a couple of months after he passes.

(now more than ever).

Wait and see.

Hell, there may be a premium on books NOT signed by Stan because there are less of them.

yep, that is why this is called speculation.

I personally don't have many SS items of his (I have personal reasons for this)

but I still believe this will be a momentary cash cow for this folks that bank on this.

(now more than ever).

Wait and see.

yep, that is why this is called speculation.

I personally don't have many SS items of his (I have personal reasons for this)

but I still believe this will be a momentary cash cow for this folks that bank on this.

+1 :cool:

Robert Edward auction 12 June 2013

Lot # 1060

Two Mickey Mantle Signed Baseballs (One PSA MINT 9)

Starting Bid - $300.00 , Sold For - $1,292.50

Two Mickey Mantle single-signed baseballs, including one graded "9" by PSA/DNA. The first is an official American League (MacPhail) ball inscribed "Best Wishes - Mickey Mantle" in blue ink on a side panel. The signature has been graded "9" by PSA/DNA and we concur with that grade. PSA/DNA has also graded the ball "8." Near Mint to Mint. The second ball is an official American League (Brown) ball signed in blue ink (grading "9/10") across the sweet spot. The ball displays a very slight degree of age toning on a side panel, otherwise Near Mint. LOA from James Spence/JSA. Total: 2 balls. Reserve $300. Estimate $500/$1,000. SOLD FOR $1,292.50

Mickey Mantle autographs were $60 when he was alive. :)

Lot # 1060

Two Mickey Mantle single-signed baseballs, including one graded "9" by PSA/DNA. The first is an official American League (MacPhail) ball inscribed "Best Wishes - Mickey Mantle" in blue ink on a side panel. The signature has been graded "9" by PSA/DNA and we concur with that grade. PSA/DNA has also graded the ball "8." Near Mint to Mint. The second ball is an official American League (Brown) ball signed in blue ink (grading "9/10") across the sweet spot. The ball displays a very slight degree of age toning on a side panel, otherwise Near Mint. LOA from James Spence/JSA. Total: 2 balls. Reserve $300. Estimate $500/$1,000. SOLD FOR $1,292.50

Suck it, Dice.

\:D

to be fair 20 years ago was 1993, and that was the HEIGHT of the baseball card/collectible boom. I think everything baseball memorabilia related has decreased vs the 90s prices.

From Robert Edward auction June 2013:

The spring auction is in the books and it was a record-setting one on all accounts! In addition to setting a company sales record with the largest single-day sports memorabilia auction in history ($10.177 million worth of material),

\:D

From Robert Edward auction June 2013:

The spring auction is in the books and it was a record-setting one on all accounts! In addition to setting a company sales record with the largest single-day sports memorabilia auction in history ($10.177 million worth of material),

What was that crazy huge baseball memorabilia collection that was auctioned (I think by heritage) back in '92-93....

Lot # 1060

Suck it, Dice.

I'll suck nothing. :sumo: