• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar -VS- Inner Well, A simple SCS Experiment.. results inside

162 posts in this topic

I'm still hearing people proclaim without offering ANY support that snugly-fitting Mylars protect comics against falls with a higher success rate than CGC, CGG, or 3PG slabs. That might be true, and it might not. If anyone is interested in resurrecting the idea of proving this hypothesis, I'm absolutely willing to do it if we can agree on the testing parameters. I'm curious about it myself, particularly the effectiveness of the tapered edge of a mylar/melinex bag...I suspect the CGC slab could benefit from that myself.

If we could agree on these tests and they provide useful information that the Mylar/Melinex design is superior to the CGC inner well, we might be able to get them published. I've written for CBG once before and could possibly get them interested in another article. I'd of course interview Steve or Mark at CGC, and possibly Daniel Patterson at PGA. I see this as a more positive way to affect change than all the complaining.

Well I took it upon myself to sacrifice two of my comics.. in an attempt to see what would happen if I took 2 comics.. and had a SSS test

1 comic a Cap #112 is Bagged in a 1 mil flap, half back board, and placed in a 4 mil Mylar, that is then placed in a CGC outer shell.. taped at top and bottom to simulate the Mylar being sealed in a inner well.. and sealed the Outer shell shut with packing tape.

The other comic is a TTA #100 6.5 CGC Slabbed Old Label CGC comic.

I took before, and after photos of each comic.

My test consisted of this... I put each comic in a priority small box.. with minimal padding( I.E. FFB's original post)

Sealed the top .. and proceeded to count to 100 while shaking it as hard as I could.. I then took each box.. held it over my head.. and droped it .. turning it 1/4 turn every time I re dropped it.. for a total of 25 drops each box.

I then slammed the box on the counter 25 times turning each time 1/4 turn as hard as I could without breaking open the priority box.

I will post the results of this experiment, and you will see.. the Mylar Comic did not move.. as far as I can tell it recieved no harmful effect whatsoever.

It felt solid, and bulletproof.

The CGC slabbed TTA is a mess.The top edge was ruined.. and not easily seen in photo.. bottom area has a crease now. side to side was minimal.. but this comic had no severe overhang.

I know my experiment was extreme.. but it was meant to simulate "What might happen" in shipping overseas.

And both comics recieved the exact same ruff treatment.. this I swear on my daughters good health...

I did this experiment to see for myself what would happen if a side by side test was done..and in no way was this test meant to prove or disrove anything.. I would have posted the results no matter how the photos turned out.

My conclusions are this..

#1.. The Mylar approach is the standard by which we all currently place our trust in.. and have for years.. so why throw out that idea when encapsulating a comic?

#2.. To have a comic floating around loosely in a inner well no matter how snug. , is the main area of concern.. and my solution is to use some kind of stiff 8mil Mylar backing board, along with a tapered, sealed Mylar sleeve, to avoid corner, and edge damage , (just like we do in a bag board combo.)

The 8mil Mylar board being clear will alow us to see both sides, when in the slab and the tapered sealed edges will keep the comic from moving in the well.

Anyhow.. here are my photos.

I hope this is taken in the spirit it was meant.. working towards a better way to seal our comics, not to bash CGC.. I like CGC alot.

I have no agendas.. or axes to bury...this was just an experiment.. and the results.

Plain and simple.

TTA CGC Slab Before Experiment

Testbeforecover.JPG

TestCGCbackbefore.JPG

And after

TAPS

TestCGCslabback.JPG

TestCGCtopedge.JPG

Cap Before Experiment

Captestbefore.JPG

And After

Captestaftercover.JPG

Ze-man, thank you for performing this test 893applaud-thumb.gif

Obviously, the test wasn't perfect, but it's close enough for me.

Oh, and now that I have been alerted to this condition, I now see a few books in my collection that have fallen victim to SCS/SSS. DAMN!

CGC....?

Just to recap from the old thread:

I agree, these tests are definitely worthy of a new thread. Although they don't really prove anything themselves, they do indicate that this problem 'may' be far more prevelent than the mysterious 'less than 10%' figure being quoted by certain individuals.

great work!! this is a momentous moment in this "debate".

The obvious solution is for CGC to phase out (Id really like to say trash!) their self-designed inner wells as fast as possible in favor of a specially sized mylar (for each size slab they produce) . As I wrote earlier, Im sure Bill Cole or Gerber would be very happy to be the "Official Supplier of Archival Inner Wells for CGC, the Leading and Most Respected Name in Comics Grading In The World" and jump into production right away!!

The outer shell is fine (better if it were archival materials).... but housing a good ol' Mylar Snug inside is the way to go!

boy - - the silence from Sarasota is getting deafening, huh?

and, btw, How much do you want for the trashed TTA 100?? I think its a museum piece that will go down in Comics Collecting History!!!

How did the TTA penetrate up ABOVE the top of the inner well? confused.gif I've got a broken-open inner well in my hand, and it looks like it's one continuous piece of plastic, so I can't figure out how the comic broke through it. confused-smiley-013.gif

How did the TTA penetrate up ABOVE the top of the inner well? confused.gif I've got a broken-open inner well in my hand, and it looks like it's one continuous piece of plastic, so I can't figure out how the comic broke through it. confused-smiley-013.gif

There is space between the top layer of the well and the bottom layer with the recessed area. The ultrasonic weld is not right up against the inner well wall.

Jeeze, Ze-Man! You went through a bit of huffing and puffing I bet! VERY interesting experiment! Most inspiring, too! hail.gifthumbsup2.gif

You are the first to recognize all the effort that went into actually preforming this test.

I work with my hands for a living, and like to think I am of decent arm strength.. but this was more tiring then I had thought it would be.

I think it should be a new X-games sport.

And Aman.. I aint cracking this TTA suckah.. ever..

Just in case anyone wants to see the slab.

I in no way tampered with this comic , and can show anyone who asks to see the slab.

I can reshoot photos to show the comic "dislodged " from the top edge if you all care to see it closer.

And F.F. I too am curious as to how it became so displaced in the well.

I knew it might sustain damage during my test.. but actually was sad to see what a hit it took.

My TTA needs a Purple Heart. sorry.gif

Ze-

There is space between the top layer of the well and the bottom layer with the recessed area.

Oh yea...I didn't realize the well is two pieces of plastic, one with the well and the other being a flat piece of plastic. I was thinking the comic slid into the well, but that isn't the case.

You are the first to recognize all the effort that went into actually preforming this test.

Go through it all one more time! Maybe add some leg stomping to the routine. Videotape it all and add some snappy music. Sell the results as Aerobicizing Your Inner Well Ness! You got a fortune right there! thumbsup2.gif

Go through it all one more time! Maybe add some leg stomping to the routine. Videotape it all and add some snappy music. Sell the results as Aerobicizing Your Inner Well Ness! You got a fortune right there! thumbsup2.gif

Actually - - all this test proved is that a very common lower grade Silver age comic will get destroyed by shaking .

I think Ze-Man has to prove that high grade keys will also suffer similar damage before we accept these findings.

Do it again and this time use a $20,000 comics and we'll know once and for all!!!

Unless we need to be absolutely sure - - then youll have to use an expensive Golden Age book too!!

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I thought every comic where "The Hulk" was jumping in the air.. was a "KeY CoMiC"

Crahp.. now I will have to shake a Subby #34 to really make my experiment valid.

Ze-