• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most important book of the 80s?

Most important book of the 80's?  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Most important book of the 80's?

101 posts in this topic

soooo, is Copper now an Official Age??? I thought it was just an idea proposed by Overstreet this past year...

That's what I'd like to know too! And what years are involved? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

DD 168 should be ranked #1 since it was written by Miller and a precursor to DKR. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Better cram that ballot box......

Da Raiduhs VS The Texans........

I smell a friendly beverage wager......

You up to it?????

I liked Killing Joke, but Moore even admits that it is probably his weakest effort.

It was, however, a beautiful showcase for Brian Bolland's artwork and it introduced two elements that still echo thru the Batbooks:

1. The Joker's origin (incorporating the Red Hood stories into post-Crisis continuity).

2. Barbara Gordon getting shot (it laid the foundations for her transformation into Oracle and establishing the Birds of Prey).

Meltzer had Rags recreate the panel of her getting shot in Identity Crisis.

DD 168 should be ranked #1 since it was written by Miller and a precursor to DKR. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DD#168 is a great read, but given that Miller admits that he basically plagiarized Will Eisner's Sand Seraf story, I can't put this book at the top of the heap.

DD#181 on the other hand, now there you could convince me.... cloud9.gif

Overstreet says 1984 is the start date with Secret Wars over at Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths over at DC (a year later).

Suggested end year is 1992, with the birth of Image Comics.

I would have thought the birth of Valiant to be more significant. They may not be pricey now, but at one time a few were going for around $100.00. Shooter did a good job rolling out the new characters & titles. Too bad it all went South so fast.

I still think there's a shot the books will recover for collectors though.

The WHO'S WHO OF THE DC UNIVERSE

and

The OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

During the 80's when both companies started these type of books. At the time they were popular. They covered just about every character, place, & thing in DC & MARVEL comics. There was a wealth of information in these books. Seemed like everyone was buying them.

I would have to say these books were very important at the time.

And they were the start of this type of book.