• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England

67 posts in this topic

Although I am sure this seller has been discussed a bunch before, I have not read any posts about them. I have watched several of their auctions with interest but they always seem to go for a hefty premium over other people's stuff. What have everyone's experiences been with them? Do they grade well?

I have bought many mid/HG auctions from them.

Always been pleased.

Many times recieved more then I paid for..

Especially my Dracula lives #1-13 set... was really sweet. thumbsup2.gif

But all in all.. a safe bet for me.

Lots are not always shown in full in photo , .. but for the most part, I would agree with the grades in general.

And if you buy more then one lot.. and you can get your comics sent out in 1 flat shipping fee.

Always a plus.

I recently got a set of Omni zines #1-4 for a bid of $1 , sent out with my other wins from them,at no extra fee.

And they weighed a friking ton!.

At least 2 lbs.

But I have yet to bid on an auction that tops over $150.. so I might not be the best person to ask about buying HG stuff through them.

Ze-

Showcase Dan's been around for a long time... he consistently turns up nice stuff and buyers have sad theyre overall pretty happy with the deals. Some say he overgrade a half point or so... but them again, who doesnt!!
\

I bought about 150 Amazing Spider-Man books from Dan a few months ago. Some of the earlier ones were a bit overgraded, but the stuff from the 80s was either graded accurately or was even undergraded (one of his 9.4s came back from CGC as a 9.8). All in all, I've been happy with Showcase NE.

I frequently buy from them, but usually every deal (average - half a dozen lots) has a problem.

Every problem always gets solved, but I do get pissed off at receiving 3 word e-mail replies, that never say sorry and that tend to display a general lack of understanding of the issue at hand.

I mainly buy items in the 4.5 to 8.0 range and the grading is usually slightly too high. However, the lots are dirt cheap and I'm not too fussed if my readers turn out to be 5.5 rather than 6.0. I wouldn't buy high grade raw from them though.

They will accept returns with no questions asked. They also tend to subsidise international shipping costs (I've paid $40-$60 a number of times and had boxes turn up with postage ranging from $60-$90). They also freqeuently have extra issues contained in their bulk lots.

They won't give feedback until you've left feedback for them, which is a practice I despise.

All said and done, I have no qualms buying from them, as I know that at the end of the day, everything will be sorted out.

SNE is a reliable seller, no question.

But as far as grading is concerned, I think their grading of Silver age comics to be half a point to one point to my standards (which porve to be close to CGC's).

Bid accordingly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree.

My experience with them, and I have posted a thread along these lines, is that sometimes they overgrade. When they do, it is difficult to get a response from them about the problem at hand. Overall, I think they do a fairly good job at grading; however, for the premiums they get for their books I expect better customer service.

Although I am sure this seller has been discussed a bunch before, I have not read any posts about them. I have watched several of their auctions with interest but they always seem to go for a hefty premium over other people's stuff. What have everyone's experiences been with them? Do they grade well?

My experience with SNE is altogether different than the other posters replying to your inquiry.

I bought a "VF+" Silver Surfer #2 from SNE in an ebay auction.

Two weeks later - I received the book. TO my horror - when i opened the package I had AT BEST a F+ with serious spine distress and some minor corner creasing.

I emailed Dan to see if this was a mistake as I noticed he was auctioning two other SS 2s. He said it was possible he shipped me the wrong one. He asked me to send him back the book and he would then check to see if he had a better copy. I asked him to just check for me before I sent him the book back.

I waited one week for a response....nothing. Two weeks...nothing....I sent a follow up email.....One more week...nothing....another week nothing....

SO I figure since he had sold me an overgraded comic and pretty much refused to get back to me on his grading error - I would leave him a neutral feedback. I said the book was shipped promptly, but overgraded - which i considered to be more than fair.

Well within 6 hours of me leaving a neutral feedback, he left me a negative feedback. His feedback reads as follows: "LACKS ONLINE MATURITY, SUBSTITUTES PERSONAL OPINION AS FACT. AVOID!!!!" Now this was after I paid him within 24 hours and gave him over a month to rectify the situation.

I can not urge you enough to not buy from this guy. Basically, if you get subpar books, and Dan chooses to ignore you, you are pretty much screwed. If you leave anything other than positive feedback, you will be negged.

He overgrades by at least a point on everything I have ever seen, and is a complete jerk.

AVOID him.

I have bought 1 book from them, a JiM 112, that was gradedat a 8.5. I spent $225 for it. I keep going back and forth on whether it was over graded or not. It is a solid VF, but I dont know that it is a VF+. on the whole everything went well.

However, I did request a larger scan and was continuosly turned down on my request. I told them, and I was already bidding on the book, that i was planning on spending over $200 on the book. This made no difference to them. They said in one email that they did not offer that service and that if I was uncomfortable, not to bid. I understand that they might get requests like that from people who are wasting their time. However, as I was already bidding on the book, I felt that it was not too much of an inconvenience for them.

I would not hesitate to buy from them again, however, I will take their grades down .5 to 1.0 and adjust my bids accordingly.

SNE is a reliable seller, no question.

But as far as grading is concerned, I think their grading of Silver age comics to be half a point to one point to my standards (which porve to be close to CGC's).

Bid accordingly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree.

I too have found this to be the case, with some notable exceptions. I generally stick to mid-grade lots from SNE, partly due to their overgrading and partly to save on shipping. (Their standard shipping is a bit exorbitant, IMO.)

Among the major sellers on eBay, SNE seems to get closes to guide in terms of prices - so they're clearly pretty highly regarded/trusted by the majority of comic buyers on eBay...

arex:

the problem on a JIM 112 is that $200 to them is nothing. JIM 112 is so hot right now that if you paid only $225 for the book if it's a VF only you still got a great buy.

they have a JIM 112 VF+ up again -- even if it's a VF at the price I bid, I'd be happy either way.

just picked a JIM 112 from Harley that's pretty darn nice looking as well.

I just sold a CGC 8.0 copy of JIM #112 with an unattractive stripe of edge toning on ComicLink for $390. It sold within 12 hours of my posting the book.

Who cares if the book is a VF instead of a VF+. If it's an 8.0, you've almost doubled your money. foreheadslap.gif

I have bought 1 book from them, a JiM 112, that was gradedat a 8.5. I spent $225 for it. I keep going back and forth on whether it was over graded or not. It is a solid VF, but I dont know that it is a VF+. on the whole everything went well.

However, I did request a larger scan and was continuosly turned down on my request. I told them, and I was already bidding on the book, that i was planning on spending over $200 on the book. This made no difference to them. They said in one email that they did not offer that service and that if I was uncomfortable, not to bid. I understand that they might get requests like that from people who are wasting their time. However, as I was already bidding on the book, I felt that it was not too much of an inconvenience for them.

I would not hesitate to buy from them again, however, I will take their grades down .5 to 1.0 and adjust my bids accordingly.

My experience with SNE is altogether different than the other posters replying to your inquiry.

Two weeks later - I received the book. TO my horror - when i opened the package I had AT BEST a F+ with serious spine distress and some minor corner creasing.

I emailed Dan to see if this was a mistake as I noticed he was auctioning two other SS 2s. He said it was possible he shipped me the wrong one. He asked me to send him back the book and he would then check to see if he had a better copy. I asked him to just check for me before I sent him the book back.

I waited one week for a response....nothing. Two weeks...nothing....I sent a follow up email.....One more week...nothing....another week nothing....

SO I figure since he had sold me an overgraded comic and pretty much refused to get back to me on his grading error - I would leave him a neutral feedback. I said the book was shipped promptly, but overgraded - which i considered to be more than fair.

Well within 6 hours of me leaving a neutral feedback, he left me a negative feedback. His feedback reads as follows: "LACKS ONLINE MATURITY, SUBSTITUTES PERSONAL OPINION AS FACT. AVOID!!!!" Now this was after I paid him within 24 hours and gave him over a month to rectify the situation.

I can not urge you enough to not buy from this guy. Basically, if you get subpar books, and Dan chooses to ignore you, you are pretty much screwed. If you leave anything other than positive feedback, you will be negged.

He overgrades by at least a point on everything I have ever seen, and is a complete jerk.

AVOID him.

893whatthe.gif That's a real horror story - my sympathy.

I've only ever dealt with Cindy, who does sort things out, but may only be running at 20 Watts in her particular pod. However, whenever Dan get's mentioned in these threads, the consensus is that he's a complete jerk and if you deal with him, you're in trouble. I suspect this is why he seems to leave it all to Cindy now.

I have heard that as well.

I guess my whole thing is - it's not like the stuff he sells won't come up again from another seller that actually cares about his customers. I mean, Dan actually seems to DISLIKE people who buy from him.

he must have made some deal with the devil to get the books he gets, because without the huge inventory he seems to constantly have, he would be completley worthless.

As a general rule - doing business with a piece of dung is usually not a good idea.

AVOID him.

Okay, this horror story is good enough for me. He's going on my "blocked sellers list" now. Nothing worse than a condescending, noncommunicative seller who dishes out retaliatory negs.

A *good* seller would take your neutral to heart and try to resolve the problem even after the fb was posted. There actually are some sellers like this out there...it's just tough to see 'em among all the deadbeat, lying, fraudsters that eBay attracts and abets.

AVOID him.

Okay, this horror story is good enough for me. He's going on my "blocked sellers list" now. Nothing worse than a condescending, noncommunicative seller who dishes out retaliatory negs.

A *good* seller would take your neutral to heart and try to resolve the problem even after the fb was posted. There actually are some sellers like this out there...it's just tough to see 'em among all the deadbeat, lying, fraudsters that eBay attracts and abets.

I agree. I have enough stress in my life without having to deal with that kind of 893censored-thumb.gif. Retaliatory negs are a total joke and I refuse to deal with someone who leaves them. I stopped buying from Neatstuff for that exact reason (among other things). Showcase's shipping prices seem high as well.