• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England

67 posts in this topic

My experience is about exactly the same as yours with the seller.

Vastly overgraded books F+ Superman 6 where the book was held together with tape on the inside covers, A showcase 4 where there was so much overhang that It almost certainly had had restoration.

He agreed to refund the money including shipping if the books were as I had described. After I sent him the books back FIRST AT HIS DEMAND. He sent me a check not including either shipping. After I deposited it. I called him to ask about the shipping like 50-75 bucks out of a 2800 transaction. He decided to stop payment on the check. Eventually he relented and resent the reduced balance, but not until after I had to get safe harbor involved.

This was like 5 years ago but I have often described it as my EBAY NIGHTMARE. The feeling of losing so much money with little chance of getting it back. was just sickening. He was able to weasel out of one of my negs of him since in the comment I said the Dan had failed miserably at customer service. at the time his ebay name was Dangnorthford or something like that.

The ebay powers that be agreed with him as a power seller 2 years after he changed his name and since it revealed personal information they pulled it.

I guess that my recent experience with MRGA was actually worse since I lost more money to a 893censored-thumb.gif, but this one really burned me foreheadslap.gif

BTW attached is the NM book from MRGA that has BOTH the cover and the centerfold detached. Perhaps a GLOD VF but certainly not any higher

611162-bb1.jpg.0a91e421339cb4f95a36950927604870.jpg

I've never bought off mrga, but thankfully my instincts (and my BS detector) immediately told me to avoid his auctions due to the excessive waffle and misdirection with grading (i.e. telling the prospective buyer how great and scarce the book was without actually giving a grade). Really annoying and insulting to the intelligence.

from the time I started composing my response until I posted it 5 more members here added their thoughts.

He has some very nice looking stuff, but I would never bid on it and I try to avoid getting it from a different seller if it passed through his hands. At lesat now he posts most of his auctions without reserves so it is possible to get a good deal. When I was bidding he would not budge from his reserve for anything. As i recall I was high bidder on like 20 of his Superman type auctions where we were maybe 10-15% apart and he would not even consider selling for less.

sign-offtopic.gif

Here is the UNREQSTORED NM from MRGA. sometime to be sold as an ANTI MRGA auction.

611162-bb1.jpg

Showcase is one of the best sellers on ebay! If you had a problem with your book or books, why email them? they get hundreds upon hundreds of emails. So you waited and waited, then left a neutral, why did'nt you just phone them? They are quite easy to get hold of on the phone! They are polite and very curtious, if you had of phoned them all that time something would have been worked out for you. Dan asked you to send him the book back, you did'nt, why not? You would have got a full refund with no hassle. This is the thing with rookie buyers on ebay, they don't know how to communicate and just leave negs or neutrals. Email, phone, do what you have to, to resolve a situation. Don't send one email and wait 3+ weeks after that. If I had a problem, i'd phone SNE and he would be more than happy to help. Theres not many if any other dealers on ebay who would give you a refund for books your not happy with, what more do you want? foreheadslap.gif

SNE is a reliable seller, no question.

But as far as grading is concerned, I think their grading of Silver age comics to be half a point to one point to my standards (which porve to be close to CGC's).

Bid accordingly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree.

I think that this can easily be verified by looking at their current auctions. When you can see damage in their small images for a comic that's supposedly 9.4-9.6, you know there's some overgrading going on.

Cindy is not in the office much anymore, so Dan is the man to speak too, phone him be nice, and he will do his best to look after you. Be rude or agressive, no point phoning! Just some good manners is all it takes, and is not to hard to ask!

perhaps you did not read my post. I contacted them by email . then when they did npot live up to that commitment I called. Dan got on the phone and was one of the most unreasonable people that I have ever dealt with. And for a comic dealer that is saying quite a bit.

I have heard so many stories about Dan as a result of telling mine ( and giving him negative feedbck earning me mine retalitory stripes).

The BEST thing that can be said about them is that If you happen to catch them at vast over grading or swithcing books ( they pulled that one also in another of my group of 5 wins that time. replacing the scanned book with one that had what looked like dried hard syrup spots on the cover.) they are OK about refunding your money minus their expenses.

I would avoid them like the plague. What more would I want? how bout not overgrading by at least a full grade and switching books in the first place.

WIth respect to MRGA. Attached is the key book in my lot. Givne a value and description consistent with a VF. I don't think that it would get above a VG based upon the actual condition.

611291-fun57.jpg.7f4bbb7c1e107a363b0f5e9715ed936a.jpg

I've never bought off mrga, but thankfully my instincts (and my BS detector) immediately told me to avoid his auctions due to the excessive waffle and misdirection with grading (i.e. telling the prospective buyer how great and scarce the book was without actually giving a grade). Really annoying and insulting to the intelligence.

What or who is MRGA? confused.gif

here is a link to one of their typical auctions

web page

this attachment was also described as VERY HIGH GRADE, but when the real book came it have a big pencil check mark that hd been erased. of curse with the small scan it was not visible

611321-d37.jpg.3d5c66f477f0654840a0abe40cc85b1f.jpg

I have bought several lots off of SNE. Their grading was close enough for me to be happy (I had an X-men #100 listed as 9.0 that CGC'd as 8.5). Plus they gave a lot of extra books that were not listed in the "modern" auctions I won. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them again. More than fair. Shipped fast and well packed. I had a problem with a X-men #98 which had been bent underneath the other comics it was shipped with. Shipped it back to them and they replaced it quickly. You also have to look at the volume of business these guys do on ebay. They are bound to have problems with a few customers just because of the law of averages.

Yikes!! 893whatthe.gif This is good to know,as I have been watching their auctions of late.Apparantly they have come across an ueber-collection of the world`s finest,highest graded marvels/dc`s/gold keys yet known to man. I think I`ll be looking elsewhere to spend my hard earned comic cash.