• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England

67 posts in this topic

Showcase is one of the best sellers on ebay! If you had a problem with your book or books, why email them? they get hundreds upon hundreds of emails. So you waited and waited, then left a neutral, why did'nt you just phone them? They are quite easy to get hold of on the phone! They are polite and very curtious, if you had of phoned them all that time something would have been worked out for you. Dan asked you to send him the book back, you did'nt, why not? You would have got a full refund with no hassle. This is the thing with rookie buyers on ebay, they don't know how to communicate and just leave negs or neutrals. Email, phone, do what you have to, to resolve a situation. Don't send one email and wait 3+ weeks after that. If I had a problem, i'd phone SNE and he would be more than happy to help. Theres not many if any other dealers on ebay who would give you a refund for books your not happy with, what more do you want? foreheadslap.gif

Are you serious or being sarcastic?

I was not a "rookie" buyer.

And I did communicate. I sent emails and waited, and waited, and waited.

I think you must be sarcastic.

So you advocate leaving a neg for soemone who left an honest neutral?

Why is it my responsibility, as the buyer, to hound the guy that knowingly sold me an overgraded book? I have him over a MONTH to make it right and he ignored me. So I should have to incur long distance phone calls to hope he actually answers and actually agrees to make it right? Sorry but after waiting 5 weeks for no response did not give me a lot of confidence that he would do anything.

Seriously...You have to be sarcastic...Or you are Dan..In which case you are a piece of turd.

I think different dealers have different reliability levels at different grade ranges.

I bought a lot of 80 Page Giant 2-14 from SNE years ago. The lot was graded

VG, and the books were all great, largely crease free with just a little general

wear on spines and edges. Easily ebay F/VF's.

However I stopped buying 9.4 and up books from them for the same reasons

others mention here.

Customer service wise I have always found them to be fine.

If you were so unhappy with the whole experience with them, then why did you leave a neutral and not a negative? Grading is very subjective, and if I were to leave a neutral for every over graded book I bought off ebay, I would have a hell of a lot of negatives and neutrals despise me paying fast and being a good buyer. This is why ebays feedback policies are not very good, I've had a negative from a non paying bidder, even though I gave him 2 months and was gonna leave it at that, and he had the cheek to neg me, 27_laughing.gif. If I wanted a refund or a replacement, yes I would hound them until I got it sorted, even though I know one call to SNE and he would sort it out. If you won a cgc 8.0 spidey 1 off someone on ebay at 50% guide, would you send them just one email? and leave it for 5 weeks, then leaving a neutral? I doubt it. NUFF SAID

I was most unhappy about the retaliatory negative which is why I have such bad feelings about SNE.

I was a little peeved at being ignored - but not enough for me to be completely and totally dissatisfied - hence the neutral.

And make no mistake - the "grading is subjective" argument dos not hold water here. How many VF+ have you seen with corner creases and severe spine distress?

So essentially you are saying it was my fault for not hounding the guy that sold me a grossly overgraded book and refused to do anything about it, AND I also deserved the negative for leaving this great seller a totally undeserved neutral.

Ohhhhkay then.

Well, I have to agree with the guys who posted negative comments about Dan. First he lives near me and we have had many conversations over the years. He comes across as arrogant and abrasive and isn't really friendly to anyone.

I don't don't do business with him for two reasons:

One time a friend of mine was going to buy a 3k book from him. After a phone coversation we drove to Dan's house to buy the book. It was around a 30-minute ride. Well, we got there and Dan was not home. His wife said he had gone out for a while and left no instructions about the book.

Second, when a large collection of Golden Age comic books turned up in California in 1995 a former partner of mine contacted Dan about it. Dan agreed to fly to California, look over the collection and go 1/2 with my friend if he bought it. Well, he did buy it, and then promptly cut my friend out of the deal.

Not saying it's your fault, but I personally would have. I have bought a lot of books in the past off ebay and some VF's have been VG's, no joke, i'm sure i'm not the only person. I really wanted to leave negatives, but I knew that if I did, I would get a neg back, so this is why the feedback is not accurate with some sellers. Maybe you are not experienced on ebay? I don't know, but if l left a neutral, I would expect a neg or neutral back because the feedback sux. How many accurate graded raw books have you bought off ebay? My percentage would be very low, from top sellers, part timers and people just selling their books.

When I first met him at a comic show in UCONN (1989) all he was selling was new [!@#%^&^], and he was pushy as hell for you to buy that junk! But you've got to give him credit for ending up being an "Overstreet Advisor" (should've seen the other one, a guy in Meriden thate didn't know much about comics) and making some decent money along the way.

I don't think I ever bought anything from him.

That a look at the two huge creases on the 121 in this 9.2/9.4 lot.

612964-SNElot.jpg

I love big creases on my 9.2/9.4s don't you? tonofbricks.gif

edit:

Oh and a huge stacking fold on the 124 too... foreheadslap.gif

612964-SNElot.jpg.7797bdbf89c0c6434920ba2cfbbf54ba.jpg

I bought some Silver X-men off them. I believe 15, 17, 18, 19.

They were all overgraded by up to 2 points. One had a huge grease pencil (4) written on the cover (that was covered in the scan). I would not even rule out resto on one of the books...looks like it may have been trimmed.

I would completely avoid them.

Herc:

I wish your opinion on Dan was actually the consensus:

Unfortunately, his reputation preceeds him to be:

a) an arrogant jerk (for no real reason I might add)

and

b) a spotty, at best, over grader.

It's too bad, because every time an auction comes up on ebay, i start to think about them, and then remember all these bad experiences, remember my own marginal experiences with the guy, and then realize it isn't worth the risk.

oh my gosh....this is like the same exact experience I had with him.

I bought a lot of Avengers Annuals from him, advertised as 9.4 - 9.6. Several copies in the lot, including two of #10 which is really what I was after, were 8.0 at best, one was like a 5.5. I e-mailed him twice and got no response. After about a month, I decided the only recourse I had was to leave him neutral feedback. I was very factual and thought I was being nice by not laying into him with a neg. He responded with the EXACT same response you listed in your post. Unbelieveable....wtf...

oh my gosh....this is like the same exact experience I had with him.

I bought a lot of Avengers Annuals from him, advertised as 9.4 - 9.6. Several copies in the lot, including two of #10 which is really what I was after, were 8.0 at best, one was like a 5.5. I e-mailed him twice and got no response. After about a month, I decided the only recourse I had was to leave him neutral feedback. I was very factual and thought I was being nice by not laying into him with a neg. He responded with the EXACT same response you listed in your post. Unbelieveable....wtf...

Nice.

I couldn't get mine removed - did you?

Well, he actually initiated having our feedback removed mutually. I took him up on it, but maybe I shouldn't have. It would be nice to have other buyers see you have no recourse when you are not happy with his product. mad.gif

Hmm.

probably because he didn't want to show his retaliatory negative nature.

Interesting though he could take the time to have your neutral reversed and leave you a neg, but not have the time to answer your emails.

What a great guy.

As long as you buy CGC graded books from him, you are safe. He didn't reveal a trimmed book to me that was obvious from 10 feet away. I returned it, received a refund, and watched him sell it two more times on Ebay without disclosing that it was trimmed.

And I bought an X-Men #8 (over-graded by 2 points) that had had a page removed and replaced again, which was not disclosed.

But he did replace it! headbang.gif

With an ASM #39 (over-graded by 1 point) with a colour-touched spine. frown.gif

I think the only 'restoration' he understands is replacing your [!@#%^&^] comics with more [!@#%^&^] comics.