• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alphabetizing collection

23 posts in this topic

Just got back in collecting so i would like to know how or what is the best way to organize a collection. I really mean alphabetizing like do you put Amazing Spider-Man under "A" or "S"? Uncanny X-Men under "U" or "X"? I would assume it's alphabetized under the "X" for X-Men but what about all the different tittles for the same group or heroes?

IE: Amazing Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Peter Parker ASM?

Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Indestructible Hulk?

Thanks

Yep - if the first letter of the first word is a "U" it goes under "U." Uncanny is different than "adjectiveless" X-Men, which became New X-Men but I keep everything under the original title, so even when 114 rolled around, it went behind #113 of X-Men instead of starting a "New X-Men" slot with #114 as the first one.

-slym

I try to keep titles together and then order by sub-sets. All books with Spider-man in the title will go under 'S', then arranged alphabetically, Amazing, Friendly Neighbourhood, Spectacular etc.

It can be a nightmare when you get crossovers and event books, but I try work them in a similar way.

If you collect a lot, any system using boxes becomes a problem, unless you want many half full boxes to leave room for future purchases. I now have 130 numbered long boxes, and fill them by chronological order, or in the order I buy them. I have my old computer program that I enter them into every week, so I can look up any individual issue at any time and know which box it is in. But, I see no way to keep all my Spider-man in one box, as it would soon become two boxes and then three, and how do you then track the boxes if not by number?

If you collect a lot, any system using boxes becomes a problem, unless you want many half full boxes to leave room for future purchases. I now have 130 numbered long boxes, and fill them by chronological order, or in the order I buy them. I have my old computer program that I enter them into every week, so I can look up any individual issue at any time and know which box it is in. But, I see no way to keep all my Spider-man in one box, as it would soon become two boxes and then three, and how do you then track the boxes if not by number?
Box numbers are the way to go. The problem is that I don't box them chronologically. I like to go back and read runs, so I file by series to make that practical. I do have to update my database as I add a few new comics to a box, bumping others to a different box, etc. This process lets the collection breathe once in a while. :) (To make it worse, I use short boxes!)

I put all my oddball one-shots, limited, etc right after the main title. However, I don't have my GSX X-Men with my X-Men, I have it with my other Giant Size books, which I keep under 'G'.

I try to keep titles together and then order by sub-sets. All books with Spider-man in the title will go under 'S', then arranged alphabetically, Amazing, Friendly Neighbourhood, Spectacular etc.

It can be a nightmare when you get crossovers and event books, but I try work them in a similar way.

(thumbs u

Event books simply alphabetically

My Spideys are together. Amazing, Spectacular, Web, other titles.

Same thing with my Avengers. First the main titles, then the West coats, then min-series. where it tends to get complicated is with min-series of occasional Avengers. Is a Hercules mini Avengers related.

Best rule is not to have any rules, only guidelines that are flexible.

I think it's so cool that there are so many different ways to do what is, essentially, the same thing.

I used to keep everything alphabetized by title. Spidey's were kept in their own boxes (alphabetically). I finally got sick of doing all that, so then it was chronologically and then I just cut out my subs in favor of trades.

It's a question of volume. Collect 10 books a month, do it anyway you like. Collect 100, and your choices are limited unless you can spend hours and hours simply re-filing them and reboxing them every month.